September 2012 Moms

Not sure what to do with problem cat :(

I'm in need of some serious help.  We have a 9 year old cat that I've had since he was a kitten. DH has been trying to get rid of him for almost 4 years now but I refuse.  I'm not one to give up pets.  I'm of the "adoption is for life" school.  But...now we're having some big issues.  He decided a few weeks ago that he no longer wants to use his litter box. He is peeing and pooping everywhere.  Hallway, dog beds, sofa, living room carpet...It's out of control.  We tried changing his litter, cleaning the box more frequently, and locking him in the laundry room when we're not home.  None of it is helping.  We have an appointment for the vet wednesday to make sure he's not having a UTI or other issues.  I'm terrified that they'll say nothing is wrong because...then what??  Add to this...he bit DD.  I'm too afraid to tell DH because if he knew that, it'd be the end of it.  It wasn't hard at all, and didn't break the skin.  She was laying all over him and he just got irritated.  Normal cat behavior, but not something I want around her.  WWYD?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Not sure what to do with problem cat :(

• Start with the vet. Also, make sure your cat has a quiet calm place he can go to get away from LO. Try adding another litter box somewhere in the house. I wouldn't tell DH about the bie either. I ddon't think I would even call that a bite, more like a nip. 

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have been having the same problem, except he only poops outside of his box. He will poop on the hardwood floor outside of LO's room. I got another box with a different kind of litter for him to try and a Feliway collar. He's been acting a lot different and on the second day with the collar on he pooped in his box! FX that this was the answer. I agree having the cat checked out first, we also did that and the vet agreed that it was a behavioral issue. GL!

• Loading the player...
  • Definitely start with the vet--unusual bathroom behavior is often a sign of illness.  It could also be that he's just really stressed by LO, especially now that our LOs are mobile. Before, it was weird and loud and stinky, but now it can actually get in his face.  Imagine how that feels!

Also, like others said your cat did not "bite" your kid, he nipped her.  If he'd bitten her,  you'd have been at the ER (from someone who's been truly bitten by a cat).  And, no offense, but the cat wasn't doing anything "wrong" per se if the baby was annoying him and he nipped.  That's how cats communicate--watch a mother cat with her babies, and when they start tromping on her face, she'll nip at them.  Your cat got irritated because you were letting your kid mess around with him--keep them separated and you won't have this issue.  It's your job as a parent and pet owner to supervise their play, not your cat's job to suddenly change his personality and love getting messed with by a baby. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but if you want to keep  your cat, avoid a true biting incident, and (most important lol) avoid DH saying "told you so" you need to keep LO from screwing around with the cat, whether that's giving the cat space of his own, perches he can jump up to, or just closely supervising and separating them.

• KisstyKissty member
    Honey I am sorry.  I am having a very similar problem.  My dining room is now covered in plastic.  My fur babies (2) are 14 years old.  They are very skittish as they were abused as kittens.  They started peeing on the carpet after LO was born.  Thankfully it is only in that one room.  Their box was not in there at the time.  We have 2 boxes with different litter in each.  The feliway did absolutely nothing for my two.  DH and I are trying to decide what to do...I tear up just thinking about it.  I know that rehoming wouldn't be an option.  I agree with everyone else that it was a nip and I wouldn't tell DH either.  We don't let LO chase the kitties.  Once they run to "their" room (our formal living room that we don't currently use) he has to back off.  The only time he has touched them has been the cats decision.  Good luck.  Hopefully the vet can give you some answers.  Please keep us updated.

imageimage 

• steenbean18steenbean18 member
    edited July 2013
    Hyaline said:

Definitely start with the vet--unusual bathroom behavior is often a sign of illness.  It could also be that he's just really stressed by LO, especially now that our LOs are mobile. Before, it was weird and loud and stinky, but now it can actually get in his face.  Imagine how that feels!

Also, like others said your cat did not "bite" your kid, he nipped her.  If he'd bitten her,  you'd have been at the ER (from someone who's been truly bitten by a cat).  And, no offense, but the cat wasn't doing anything "wrong" per se if the baby was annoying him and he nipped.  That's how cats communicate--watch a mother cat with her babies, and when they start tromping on her face, she'll nip at them.  Your cat got irritated because you were letting your kid mess around with him--keep them separated and you won't have this issue.  It's your job as a parent and pet owner to supervise their play, not your cat's job to suddenly change his personality and love getting messed with by a baby. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but if you want to keep  your cat, avoid a true biting incident, and (most important lol) avoid DH saying "told you so" you need to keep LO from screwing around with the cat, whether that's giving the cat space of his own, perches he can jump up to, or just closely supervising and separating them.

Not harsh at all...you're absolutely right.  He had been ok with it before, so I allowed it but it's clearly not a good idea.  We have a vet appointment tomorrow morning!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would start with trip to the vet. Have you tried buying a new litter box or cleaning the one you have with some baking soda? Good luck. I am sorry you are going thru this.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"