April 2013 Moms

Vitamin D ?

My MIL was in town this week and is scandalized that LO (EBF) is not on vitamin D drops.  Can I get an informal pole of who does the drops?

I will add we live out west and MIL is from Boston and consequently think all doctors out here are idiots...good times.

imageimageimage

Re: Vitamin D ?

• My doc was pretty ambivalent about the vitamin D drops because he said the AAP has gone back and forth on the issue so many times. He said we could start giving them to him, we are EBF as well. I gave them to him for about 3 weeks and they majorly constipated him, so I stopped. I will bring it up at his 4 month appt, but our doc really just left it up to me in the end. I'd rather just take little man out in the sunshine each day for a little while than make it tough for him to poop. We are also on the west coast, Southern California , and honestly if I hadn't brought up the idea of vitamin d drops, I doubt our doc would have suggested it, and he is a really great doctor, very highly rated by all his patients.
  • Jillibean I didn't know you were in So Cal too!

I have been giving LO vitamin D & I'm breastfeeding. His pedi really wanted to make sure I give it to him because I have a Vitamin D deficiency.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Our pediatrician was adament I give them to my baby. She did tell me to make sure it's vitamin D only and not one of the compounds. She said at this point baby shouldn't be getting enough sun to make up for. Luckily my baby loves the drops so it's no big deal.
  • We give him D Vi Sol.. 1ml per day and we put it in his nightly bottle of breast milk.
    CafeMom Tickers

• I take 5000 IUs of Vit D a day and he gets it through the milk.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For the love of all that is holy...she might be right...will ask pedi at 4 mo appt this week.
    imageimageimage
  • Everyday. Carlsons is all natural and doesn't have the preservatives and colors as the other ones do.
  • love4blove4b member

imageMKC12/22/2006:
    I take 5000 IUs of Vit D a day and he gets it through the milk.

This exactly! My levels were low enough before I got pregnant that I had to take prescription strength vitamin D (and I was living in Venice, CA at the time - go figure - like I wasn't getting enough sun!?). Anyhow, I took 4000iu a day through pregnancy and am sticking with that, so she's getting more than enough from breastmilk. 

• agytayagytay member
    imageminxyglams:

imageMKC12/22/2006:

This exactly! My levels were low enough before I got pregnant that I had to take prescription strength vitamin D (and I was living in Venice, CA at the time - go figure - like I wasn't getting enough sun!?). Anyhow, I took 4000iu a day through pregnancy and am sticking with that, so she's getting more than enough from breastmilk. 

I thought that Vitamin D was not passed through breastfeeding which is why supplementing is necessary... 

• We've tried several different brands, but every single one makes her throw up whatever is in her stomach.  We've tried giving them to her before she eats, after she eats, after waiting an hour or so after eating.  Nothing seems to help.  The pedi suggested little bits of sun each day.  I am slightly worried, so I've also been taking Vit D and hoping it transfers.
  • imagekravenmoore:
    Are you breastfeeding? nbsp;Or formula? nbsp;If breastfeeding, then drops are needed. Formula, then no. nbsp;The formula should already be supplemented with Vit D.If you do both breastfeeding and formula, my doctor said that if we get over 15 oz a day of formula, then to stop the drops.nbsp;Hope this helps!nbsp;ETA:nbsp;Sorry, just saw the EBF. nbsp;I missed that before!nbsp;

This is what my pedi said too!
  • love4blove4b member
    imageagytay:
    imageminxyglams:

imageMKC12/22/2006:

I thought that Vitamin D was not passed through breastfeeding which is why supplementing is necessary... 

Nope, my pediatrician said that just like pretty much everything else a mom consumes, vitamin d gets passed through the breastmilk to the baby.

From kellymom.com:

"A Finnish study [Ala-Houhala 1986] showed that supplementing the mother with 50 ?g (2000 IU) vitamin D per day was as effective for maintaining baby?s vitamin D levels as supplementing the baby with 10 ?g (400 IU) per day."

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d/  (I think I made it clicky - thanks clandestineX)

The only reason I can think of for this blanket call for supplementation is that it's assumed that a lot of moms are deficient and don't know it - like me. When I found out I was deficient, my vitamin d level was 12 - it's supposed to be over 50. I had absolutely no symptoms and (living in SoCal) spent a lot of time in the sun. If I wasn't supplementing myself, I'd absolutely be giving my daughter vitamin d drops.

• We EBF and no drops.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• LO gets the enfamil drops everyday by mouth and he loves them no complaints

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• imageJanessLynn:
    We give him D Vi Sol.. 1ml per day and we put it in his nightly bottle of breast milk.
  • I give the drops but I'm pretty inconsistent about it.  He doesn't mind them so it's not a big deal - I just forget!
  • I ebf, pedi said no need to do drops. I'm on central coast ca
    TTC since 5/1/12
    Mc 7/10/12 @ 5w2d
    BFP 8/11/12 EDD 4/16/13 DH's Bday!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is me!! I did come clean and admit this to my pedi she was fine with it as long as LO gets them a few times a week!

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• We use Carlson drops most days of the week. If I'm home and nursing only, no drops since he does not get bottles
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • I'm not using it now that he's on formula, but when I was nursing, he got the drops.  Our ped was pretty clear that NOT ENOUGH Vitamin D was passed through breastmilk, even though I take lots of it.  But I'm also in MN where it was a very wet, grey spring and we weren't out much so not a lot of sun.

A friend of mine who is a neonatologist told me that low D has been linked to autism in boys.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"