November 2012 Moms

Puffs, Cheerios, etc.

Is your LO eating puffs, or Cheerios, or anything like that? When did you start?

Ive tried to give B small pieces of bananas and sweet potato, but he just smushes them between his fingers and either flings the mess onto the floor or wipes them in his hair... which makes for some cute pictures, but I'd prefer he eat something in addition to his pur?es and b milk.

He sits unassisted and can pick up things well with his fingers, but doesn't crawl with his belly off the floor (he's perfectly happy to roll and scoot everywhere).  Did you wait for LO to crawl first? 

Thanks! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Puffs, Cheerios, etc.

• We do the happy baby brand puffs. We just started last week. D does not crawl with his belly off the floor yet but he is very mobile and can get around the room by himself on his back/belly.  The few times I have let him feed himself he picks them up but can't quite get them into the mouth. I normally end up feeding them to him.

For self feeding I find he does much better with larger objects. Zucchini spears, carrot sticks, strips of tortilla, ect

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • H does the happy baby and Gerber puffs... They are like baby crack for him. He doesn't crawl, but has no issue handling and eating them. He's figuring out this whole pincer grip thing, so he's all about small pieces recently.

image   My chart 

• Loading the player...
  • H gets the Gerber puffs and yogurt melts when we don't have access to much else, like when we are in a restaurant waiting for the food. He also eats some cheerios at home. We started probably a month or so ago at 7 months.

He doesn't crawl yet but does sit unassisted. I don't see why you can't start them if he is willing to eat them.

• DS loves puffs and those baby Cheetos type things. He's been eating them for probably two months now so before he started crawling. He usually eats them when I'm getting his food ready or when we're out.
  • Em has been eating puffs for about a month, we have only given her soggy Cheerios. She's still not crawling at all yet.
  • We do those little puffs, and the longer ones that look like cheetos, and the "mum" crackers, but the Plum organic brand. Mostly like PP said, when we're at a restaurant, because he keeps himself entertained well.

Otherwise, I'll break little pieces of banana or other fruits and veggies and give them to him to eat the same way, alone.

He gets pureed and bigger pieces of fruits and veggies that he noms on with more supervision too.

• tngrl3tngrl3 member
    We've been doing them for a few weeks now. He sits great and is quite good with his pincer grasp. Not doing too much in the way of crawling. He also likes to roll and squirm   to get around. He does quite well with puffs, Cheerios, and the little yogurt bits. Basically he just likes to feed himself though and we have been doing BLW. we also do some chunky pur?s  for stuff he can't really do himself. 
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagekbl13:

Is your LO eating puffs, or Cheerios, or anything like that? When did you start?

Ive tried to give B small pieces of bananas and sweet potato, but he just smushes them between his fingers and either flings the mess onto the floor or wipes them in his hair... which makes for some cute pictures, but I'd prefer he eat something in addition to his pur?es and b milk.

He sits unassisted and can pick up things well with his fingers, but doesn't crawl with his belly off the floor (he's perfectly happy to roll and scoot everywhere).  Did you wait for LO to crawl first? 

Thanks! 

this is us, he's been eating puffs and yogurt bites. Also anything I'm eating that I can place in little bites for him to grab. I've been giving him those cheese puff chips some too. They melt in his mouth and he loves them. Plus they are big and easy to grab. :) 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • LO gets Cheerios when we need something to occupy him for a bit before a meal.

He's really good at the pincer grip now.
    He has been getting them since about 6 months. He will be 8 months in just over a week.

He is a master crawler now, but I don't think that has made any difference. He just loves to feed himself.
  • kbl13kbl13 member

Thanks, everyone! I've been putting off trying them because the package specifically says the puffs are for "crawlers" or babies who "crawl with their stomachs off the ground"... but he seems ready, so that's why I asked.

Now, it looks like I have a good excuse to run to Target in the morning :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imagekbl13:

Thanks, everyone! I've been putting off trying them because the package specifically says the puffs are for "crawlers" or babies who "crawl with their stomachs off the ground"... but he seems ready, so that's why I asked.

Now, it looks like I have a good excuse to run to Target in the morning :) 

We and everyone else I've talked to has started them before they were crawling belly off the floor.  I think it's fine. 

We're kind of BLW, so we do a lot of stuff.  But he liked puffs, we do cheerios pretty regularly and he loves little pieces of bread.

He does a lot better with those than little pieces of banana, too slippery!  F does better with bigger pieces, that are like spear shaped a little bigger than his hand. 

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• We started practicing around 6.5 months and she got the hang of it by a little over 7 months so I definitely didn't want until she was crawling!

Baby #3 is on the way! EDD  3/8/15
    DD1--8/29/10
    DD2--11/6/12

• MaebbMaebb member
    Our doctor said that Cheerios ::the regular kind, NOT honey nut:: are fine, so we've been giving him those maybe once a day. I put them on his tray, and he feeds himself. Sometimes he needs help, and sometimes he'll shove a whole bunch in his mouth, not chew or swallow, and then spit them out like a hamster. Ha. But mostly, he does a good job eating, and it's good motor skill practice.

My mom and SIL have given him puffs, and he likes those too, but I just don't buy them at home because they're more expensive.

ETA: He was crawling with his stomach off the ground before we gave them to him, but I wouldn't necessarily wait for that unless your doctor says so. Cheerios are pretty good because they have the hole, and puffs are good because they dissolve, but I still wouldn't let him eat them unattended just in case he gets them lodged in his throat somehow.
  • imagebeane4018:
    J has had puffs and Cheerios on occasion for about a month, and really likes both. He was crawling when he had them, but I'm not sure that I would have waited. He can pick them up pretty well but then shoves practically his whole hand into his mouth to eat them.

That's what DD is doing. And she's not a crawler yet either. It took her a few days to get the idea to not just pick them up and crush them with her fingers.

• We tried to start Asa on puffs when he was 6 months, but I didn't think he was ready after I saw him "choke" a few times (just gagging but it scared the crap outta me!). We started puffs again about a month ago and he does just fine with them now!

• I tried puffs with DS this weekend. He just turned 8 months. When he tries anything other than purees, he acts like it's poison.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"