August 2013 Moms

Does anyone crochet?

For those of you that do, how off base would I be to think that I could maybe learn how to crochet in the next 4 weeks? I'm home ALL day, and Netflix is getting old. I need something productive and would be super impressed with myself if I had a hat or two to show by the time LO arrives.
Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
07/03/2012
08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
or you're all the way grown,
my promise to you
is you're never alone.
You are my angel, my darling,
my star...and my love will find you,
wherever you are."

Re: Does anyone crochet?

• My sister taught herself in 2 weekends.. She wasnt the best at it at first, but the more you practice the better you are!
    A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
  • I was just thinking about this. After your Halloween costume post, I was looking at crocheted cupcake and puppy hats on etsy and wondering if it's something I'd be able to do myself.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Loading the player...
  • you totes can. YouTube is your friend!

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
  • Go for it. I learned on Pinterest and youtube. I crocheted a rug for the nursery using old t shirts. It's super easy if you are used to working with your hands. Start with something simple like a granny square to get used to the terms and types of stitches.

What sort of projects are you hoping to do?
  • It's easy and I learned within a week from a coworker. We worked at a call center and she taught me in between calls. ;D

I started with scarves since it was easy stitches and didn't really follow a pattern at first just so I could get the hang on working with the yarn and hook. Then went onto granny squares once I was comfortable with basic stitches.

Good luck! There is quite the sense of accomplishment when you've completed a project!!
  • I don't think its that complicated to learn, and once you get going projects can go pretty fast.
    After 1.5 years TTC, IUI #2= BFP 12/2/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"And the dream that you dare to dream really do come true"

• imageCarliVelcro:
    Go for it. I learned on Pinterest and youtube. I crocheted a rug for the nursery using old t shirts. It's super easy if you are used to working with your hands. Start with something simple like a granny square to get used to the terms and types of stitches. What sort of projects are you hoping to do?

Seriously, I would be ecstatic to figure out a basic baby beanie.  

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    wherever you are."
  • imageRoosterMemphis:
    you totes can. YouTube is your friend!

This! I taught myself in one day!
  • Seriously- I swear by YouTube.  I've been crocheting and knitting since I was a wee little thang, but I never new how to sew with a sewing machine till a few months ago. Totally taught myself via YouTube, and now most of my fitted cloth diaper stash has been made by yours truly. Go for it girl, I'm rootin for ya. 

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
  • I think a trip to Hobby Lobby may be in the cards for tomorrow...

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    wherever you are."
  • imageJill9288:

imageCarliVelcro:
    Go for it. I learned on Pinterest and youtube. I crocheted a rug for the nursery using old t shirts. It's super easy if you are used to working with your hands. Start with something simple like a granny square to get used to the terms and types of stitches.

What sort of projects are you hoping to do?

Seriously, I would be ecstatic to figure out a basic baby beanie. &nbsp;

The hardest part I find is the actual reading of the pattern. There are so many abbreviations for the stitches it can get confusing. Start small with the basic stitches and go from there.

https://issuu.com/lesliss/docs/crocheting_school

https://m.youtube.com/watch?veqca00LdmAc

These are two links I pinned when I was learning. Sorry no clicky I'm mobile.
  • I watched a friend do it once and That was all it took.
    imageimageimageimage

• N_KozN_Koz member
    I knit but learning is easy it took me less than a weekend to do my first scarf. YouTube has great knit and crochet videos. I would start with a scarf as it will be quick and simple. If you want a quick way to do baby hats I would suggest buying a knitting loom, my coworker learned how to make hats on that in no time. Also ravelry.com has lots of great free patterns that you can sort by difficulty etc. I am going to try a new knit pattern with a crochet edge, if you can learn both you can make some really cool stuff. Also if you have a lot of time on your hands and a local yarn shop those ladies can be very helpful and they often have groups and classes. Start small if you try to start with a blanket you will get frustrated, instant gratification helps to motivate when picking up new crafts

image   Visit The Nest!   Visit The Nest!
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary 
  • N_KozN_Koz member
    imageJill9288:
    I think a trip to Hobby Lobby may be in the cards for tomorrow...

Make sure you have a specific pattern so you don't get overwhelmed with hook and yarn choices. Hobby lobby has kits with a book, hooks, and DVD about learning to crochet with patterns

image   Visit The Nest!   Visit The Nest!
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary 
  • You can definitely teach yourself to crochet with the help of youtube in a short period of time in terms of the basics. You may even be able to start making a baby blanket with a very simple pattern. A hat is more difficult to master, especially since you don't have experience counting or dropping stitches. Blankets are easier for a beginner to tackle. I've been crocheting since I was a little girl, and I still much prefer working on blankets vs hats.
    Hawaii
  • imagelaceylavallee:
    imageRoosterMemphis:
    you totes can. YouTube is your friend!

This! I taught myself in one day!

This!
    photo pooka_zpsc2aa61f3.jpg

• My mom taught me to crochet in like 2 hours.. Given i wasn't very good.. It took less than a dozen potholder sized squares to get them to have even sides (I would just work on one, get tired of its ugly self, unravel it and start over.. lol)

I say find a pattern you like, blanket may be best (First thing my mom taught me was granny squares) find a youtube video and go to it!

Knitting is a totally different story and I am STILL trying to teach myself.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • LC122LC122 member
    I taught myself to knit using the Internet. It's pretty easy and instructional videos are great.
    I highly recommend finding a specialty yarn store. They will set you up with the right yarn, needles, any other tools, patterns, etc you may need. And a good one will also be able to fix your mistakes and offer classes if you need them.
    I took one trip to a yarn store, watched videos online and never looked back. I got one good book to use as a reference for things like fixing simple errors, changing yarn balls or colors, and starting and finishing prices.
    I did a scarf first and then a cupcake hat. The scarf was going to be a "practice piece" but it was nice enough to be a keeper.
    Also second the recommendation of Ravelry.com for free patterns and the ability to search by skill level.
    Good Luck!
  • you may not get complicated patterns that quickly (I'm talk the 5 star kinda patterns... you should be up to 4 stars), but I'm sure you could totally learn the basics and be able to make blankies and stuff! 

I learned potholders in a day 

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • I tried to learn how to knit on you tube and it was really hard. I tried for a few days in a row but just could not seem to get the hang of it. I've heard crocheting is easier though. Not sure if that's true. I haven't given up completely on knitting but I had to put it down because I was getting so frustrated lol
  • Depends on the stitch.....I learned quickly....takes longer to get your stitches consistent sizes because the amount of tension you put on the yarn changes the stitch size and can make your line look wavy.   I was taught by a person but when I wanted to learn new stitches I just bought a cheap little book that showed how to make baby hats and clothes.  It told which projects were easy, so that gave me a place to start. YouTube is also good for seeing how to do a certain stitch as well.  Go for it

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• I taught myself to crochet through various You Tube videos, then found the Crochet School on www.craftyminx.com. 

She takes you through all the steps, different stitches and things like fastening off etc.

I agree that making a blanket is probably easier to start with but I just finished a cot blanket using 3 strands of yarn (pink, grey and white) in a single crochet stitch and it's come together in a few weeks and looks great. I am going to add a satin border as an extra touch but it looks great even without it.  

So it's easy to create home made items without too much difficulty and knowing just a few basic stitches. Give it a go!  

TTC Since March 2010 - 2 angel babies - BFP December 12 EDD 12 Aug 13 Lilypie Maternity tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"