September 2012 Moms

Question for those who live near family

If you live in the same town or area as your immediate family or extended family- how often do you spend time with them? Once a week? Once a month? Do you plan regular visits or just do random things together when you can?

I live in the same city as my mom, dad, and older brother. DS and I are currently staying with my dad so we see him pretty often, but my mom and brother both live about 20-25 minutes away. They both complain that we don't see each other enough, but honestly a few times a month is plenty for me. I don't mind seeing my dad everyday, because it's usually just a few minutes in the morning. It's important to me that W have a relationship with them, but if I don't set some boundaries they will want to hang out all the time and we won't have any time to ourselves. I'm curious to hear what other families who live close together do.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question for those who live near family

• Usually once a week.  I love spending time with my family though and it takes the burden off of MH and I for a bit.
                  image     image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Gray99Gray99 member

It's different for us because my parents and ILs switch off watching LO every week.

Prior to children or when I was on maternity leave it was about once a month with  ILs and once every week or two with my parents.  Although with my parents it was just usually me doing something with my mom like shopping.  Else it would be dinner maybe once a month with DH and them.

• Loading the player...
  • imageSharkFarts:
    I live about an hour away from my family and see them every couple of weeks or so.

This.

My ILs live close (like 10 mins drive). We usually see them weekly.  

• We live very close to both sides of our family. MIL watches our kids 1 day a week and my mom 1 afternoon a week. Outside of that we see each other usually 1 other time a week. If we dont I usually plan a reason or invite IL's to the park with us or something, sometimes just stop by to say hi. I should add we have a very outspoken toddler who specifically requests them so we really dont have a choice!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• kjskjskjskjs member

We live about 30 minutes from my ILs but we see them about once every month and a half which is plenty for me. We are too busy and with DH's schedule we can't get together often.

We live like 3 hours from my family and they come up about once a month to visit which I love!

imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • We live 3 minutes from my parents and about 10 from my IL's. I see my parents probably every other day with DS. DH works long days now, so it takes a bit of pressure off me and DS can play with his cousins.

We see IL's for sure every Sunday usually for lunch after church and some days in between. DH works on the farm which is located at their house so he sees them probably every day and I go when over once a week to see MIL and bring DS over. DH will bring him over sometimes too and I'll stay home.

• My IL's live 1.8 miles away.  My MIL watches the baby on Thursdays and we see them at church on Sundays.  Summers get crazy but we like to have a family dinner a couple times a month.  My mom lives 10-15 min away and I see her maybe once a month.  totally different story her loss.  My sister is an hour away and we try and see her once a month at least.  My dad is the same...hour away once a month. 
  • We live really close to both of our mothers. MIL watches the girls so I see her daily and we try to spend time with her outside of that once a month. We generally see one parent a weekend and since both of our parents are divorced and remarried that works out to about once a month. I wish we had more time to visit but our weekends are already packed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • hmp1hmp1 member
    My parents live less than 2 miles from us. We see them once or twice a week. When Matt travels, I see them more since they usually come play with the boys while I make dinner and help with bedtime.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• We live within 10 miles of both my family and DHs family.

With my family it kind of just happens. Sometimes its so hectic for both of us we see each other like once a month. Sometimes its 2 or 3 times a week.

With DHs family I try to keep it to almost never or nonexistent. It works out to be like once every 6 months, maaaybe. 

BFP #1 10/28/09 EDD 06/24/10- Miscarriage 11/2/09
    BFP #2 11/30/09 EDD 08/12/10- Sophia Grace born 8/1/10
    BFP #3 11/16/10 EDD 08/04/11- Samuel Richard born 7/28/11
    BFP #4 01/04/12 EDD 09/19/12- Simon Nathaniel born 9/6/12
    BFP #5 03/27/13 EDD 11/25/13- Savannah Lee born 11/18/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"