May 2013 Moms

Need Zantac Advice

How the heck do you get the baby to take this stuff? It's peppermint flavored and he will not swallow it for me.

I've tried doing little itty bits at a time, aiming for the back cheek, doing it all at once, and immediate going the pacifier to encourage him to move it back. He spits it all out every time, a little river out of his mouth.

My sister said to mix it with milk in a bottle, but I doubt he wants peppermint flavored milk either, and I'm afraid of him developing a negative connotation with the bottle.

Any other ideas?

I tried calling the pharmacy to see if I can get a different flavor since he likes the cherry nystatin, but they are closed.

Re: Need Zantac Advice

• Hi! My little guy is on it too and we have had issues like you! I have it grape flavored and I do not put it in the formula because like you said do not want him to associate the two. So what's been working for us is to give it to him when he is about to eat. I put it in and then before he has time to spit it out, I pop the bottle in his mouth and its worked so far!!! If I don't do that, he spits it out lol I have also put dose in syringe and then added a bit of gripe or colic calm to it to mix it and dull the taste of the Zantac. Hope this helps!!
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    Thanks! I'll pump some milk tonight so I can try giving him a bottle right after with his morning dose.

I appreciate it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Anytime!!! Let me know how it goes!
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member

Thanks Kate! 

I tried the bottle trick this morning, and while I miraculously got in the whole dose, he completely refused the bottle afterwards. Poor guy, he really hates the taste, and I can smell the peppermint on his breath for hours after, so I'm sure he still tastes it when he burps, etc. 

He made the saddest face, and looked right at me, and I felt awful. He also stuck his bottom lip out and it quivered as he started to cry and it hurt my heart! 

• LO HATED it at first, now he tolerates it.  He did the same thing, just spit it out right back at me.  I do really itty bitty shots, like you mentioned, at the back of the cheek.  Then I stroke his neck a little bit, and that forces him to swallow.  He still fusses initially, but he gets his dose and doesn't have a meltdown afterwards.
  • Aww so sorry to hear he refused his bottle! Poor little guy! Did he eventually drink it? Maybe ask if they can mix a different flavor for you. I know the stuff sucks not sure why they don't come up with a children's version since so many babies are on it.
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    imagecece2682:
    Aww so sorry to hear he refused his bottle! Poor little guy! Did he eventually drink it? Maybe ask if they can mix a different flavor for you. I know the stuff sucks not sure why they don't come up with a children's version since so many babies are on it.

Nope, that bottle was a goner, lol. But at least he took the meds. I talked to the pharmacist today, and she said she could add grape flavor, but I got the impression she meant she'd add it to the peppermint, because that's the way it comes. Ew. I'm going to call a compounding pharmacy tomorrow and see if they have other options.

Luckily, I got in another full dose tonight!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"