Baby Names

unusual name

My husband and I both have names that start with J and are thinking of carrying that on with our son. However, we in love with a lot of "J" names.

One idea we love is Jones Thomas Thomas is a family name. My thoughts are it is familiar enough that everyone will know it and be able to spell it and if a nickname is needed J.T. could be cute. But is it too out there? Thoughts?

Re: unusual name

• Yeah, to me Jones just isn't one of those last names that can really transition to a first name.  What about Jonas?
    Met my soul mate October 2011 ~ Married August 2012

BFP September 2013 ~ Our baby boy is due May 2014

• I like it. Easy to spell, simple, unique and not trendy.
  • Loading the player...
  • It's NMS, but I wouldn't side-eye it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I see where you're coming from. My DS is Beckham. But I don't know if I'm feeling it so much. Maybe because it's a stereotypically common last name? Like keeping up with the Joneses? BTW, LNs as FNs don't go over so well on this board, so be forewarned. ::mobile winky::
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Jones is not a first name and you shouldn't try to turn it into one.

Jonah is nice....
  • I prefer Jonas over Jones, but the rhymy aspect of Jonas Thomas stands out to me just slightly.

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • I have friends who have named their children Townes, Wels, Grizzly, Finch and Mojave... I'd say Jones isn't as bad as those....
  • imageBarbercharm:
    I have friends who have named their children Townes, Wels, Grizzly, Finch and Mojave... I'd say Jones isn't as bad as those....

Grizzly?! Really?
  • imageGibsonGirl620:
    imageBarbercharm:
    I have friends who have named their children Townes, Wels, Grizzly, Finch and Mojave... I'd say Jones isn't as bad as those....

Grizzly?! Really?

Yup..
  • I'm not a fan of random surnames as FNs in general. I don't think it is too out there though. I know a former bumpie with a son named Jones, I'm just not a fan.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for your opinions ladies. My husband and I both grew up in the 80s each being the 4th or 5th Jessica and Jason in a class of 25. I know this board is extremely opinionated and that I posted because I wanted to hear the critisim. While I understand what you're saying about first names as last, I still like the name and think it is better than the alternative of being the next Jacob or Mason B. I also work in the school system and that is making it a little harder on my husband and I for picking out names. Thanks for your thoughts! They are all appreciated.
  • imageMamaCBear:

imageJoy2611:
    Let's just stop with last names fooling around as first names.

Pretty much my thoughts. I just met a Davis yesterday and thought the same thing.

Funny! We've had Davis as a FN in our family for at least 4 generations, so I've never put it solely in the LN category.

Edit to add, I too don't like trying to cross over last names. I know a baby named Smith, and it just feels silly to me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't mind Jones at all. I also don't mind last names as first names either. Shoot, we have Nixon in the running for boy names. I think Jones Thomas sounds nice.
    TTC #1 since Sept 2011
    Me: 33, DH: 35, DX: PCOS & MFI (low everything)
    IUI #1-3 - Low Post-Wash Counts - All BFNs
    IVF #1 w/ ICSI: Long Lupron Protocol - Freeze-All Cycle due to Severe OHSS
    ER 4/27, 33 Eggs Retrieved, 13 Frosties
    FET #1 6/5, Transferred One Perfect 4AA Blast, HPT BFP @ 6dp5dt
    Beta #1 - 209, Beta #2 - 508, Beta #3 - 1,059
    EDD 2/20/14
    imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageAnthonymarie:
    Thanks for your opinions ladies. My husband and I both grew up in the 80s each being the 4th or 5th Jessica and Jason in a class of 25. I know this board is extremely opinionated and that I posted because I wanted to hear the critisim. While I understand what you're saying about first names as last, I still like the name and think it is better than the alternative of being the next Jacob or Mason B. I also work in the school system and that is making it a little harder on my husband and I for picking out names. Thanks for your thoughts! They are all appreciated.

I can COMPLETELY relate to this. I have a Jessica type of name and work as a teacher, too. It has been a struggle trying to find a name that is uncommon, but not yooneek. Try looking up lists of names that are just outside of the top 1000. Nameberry is good for this. Or browse the SSA list from about 500 to 1000. I ended up finding a name that I love and has connections to our roots so it has meaning, too. Best of luck to you!
  • VTGalVTGal member
    I love it- Keep it Jones for sure. Changing it to Jonas or anything else completely loses the purpose of the family name. I'm not sure where you're from, but it's very Southern :) And I love that! Very cool name.
  • I don't have a problem with Jones b/c it's a ln, but I would not use it with Thomas.

I would not use anything that is a derivative or soundalike of John with Thomas.

Because John Thomas is a slang term for penis, and I am immature.

• I taught a Jones a few years ago.  It is different, but not one that makes me want to shake my head.  I am also a teacher and really unusual names (mainly spellings) are the ones that make me what to slap their parents.

• imageIdani:
    It's like naming your kid Smith.  Jones is one of the most popular last names out there, I hate trying to use it as a first name.

I know a little girl named Smith... My ears bleed whenever she is around.  Anyways, I agree with this. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Please don't name your baby Jones. Jonas is slightly better but there have to be better "J" names out there.
  • Bexx24Bexx24 member

Actually I know a Jones at the college I went to in Australia. Might be a little more odd where you're from, but I really like it.

I like it way better than Jonas honestly.

• ==N====N== member
    I actually (usually) like ln's as fn's. I like it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • What about Thomas Jones instead? TJ instead of JT
    ✯             ✯              ✯          ✯               ✯     ✯             ✯         ✯     ✯          ✯                   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"