July 2013 Moms

MOTN feedings

Curious for those w outside babies. How long are you up for middle of the night feedings, diaper change, burping etc? And are you bottle feeding or breast feeding? We bottle feed and the whole process is taking 60 to 75 min. W my son I seemed to recall it going faster.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: MOTN feedings

• jmw222jmw222 member
    We BF and it can take anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes depending on how long he is on for.   We've been averaging 2.5 hours between night feedings so we get about 2 hrs sleep stretches.
    Eff Yeah! Mighty Ducks
    Oct '14 September Siggy Challenge
    Teenage Crush

DD: E, 8/20/11
    DS: N, 7/11/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • je2161je2161 member
    I'm curious about others' responses as well. It takes us about 30 to 45 minutes. And this repeats every 2 to 3 hours. We breastfeed.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • imagejmw222:
    We BF and it can take anywhere from 30 - 60 minutes depending on how long he is on for.   We've been averaging 2.5 hours between night feedings so we get about 2 hrs sleep stretches.

Yep, this is us exactly. 

Anniversary

• imagejmw222:

this - except sometimes we get 3 or 4 hour stretches

• It usually takes about 30ish minutes.  25 or so minutes on the boobs and then about 5 to change the diaper and settle back in.
    Mom to three girls and pregnant with #4!
    L: 7/12/13
    C: 5/11/15
    E: 3/7/17
    Due 11/10/18
  • I BF at night. DS is such a lazy eater that its sometimes 60 to 75 minutes. If he doesn't eat enough, like last night, he's up every hour to eat. If he eats and stays awake long enough he will sleep 2 hour stretches. I sware he would love to sleep all night with the boob in his mouth.
    ETA: stupid mobile.

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

• imageChunkymonkeylvr:

Our sleeping pattern has already changed from about two days.... it is constantly changing.

As of last night BF for about 20 to 30 min and then slept for about 2 hours from when we went to bed.

Two nights ago it was feeding for about 45 min up about an hour after he finished eating....all night long.

Adding to this.... is anyone dreaming??  I dont think I ever get to REM

I've had a dream or two over the last 8 days and that's it. We're sleeping on the couch together, so baby girl feeds for probably 20 minutes or so (sometimes on each side) and then falls back asleep for a couple hours at the most. Then we repeat all night long.

Anniversary imageLilypie - (fQ49)

• imageje2161:
    I'm curious about others' responses as well. It takes us about 30 to 45 minutes. And this repeats every 2 to 3 hours. We breastfeed.

This. We usually average 3 hours from the start of one feeding to the start of the next.
  • For the first two nighttime feedings, (10 or 11 PM and 12:30 or 1 AM)  he's usually cool with side-lying nursing, so it only takes 30 minutes or so and he's back to sleep.

The feeding that starts between 2:30 and 3:00 AM is killer, though, and can last for 2-3 hours. He eats for 30 minutes or so, and 15 minutes more for diapering and burping. But then he's wide awake. For at least another hour...sometimes longer. Last night he started that feeding at 2:15, was done eating and diapering by 2:50 or so, and then fussed while I burped him and rocked him until 4 AM, when I bailed and had my DH take over. He got him to sleep by 4:30 or so, and then he was up again at 5:30 to eat.

• imagemissyjg:
    I BF at night. DS is such a lazy water that its sometimes 6075 minutes. If he doesn't eat enough, like last night, he's up every hour to eat. If he eats and stays awake long enough he will sleep 2 hour stretches. I sware he would love to sleep all night with the boob in his mouth.

This is us too.

BFP #1 5/16/2012 Heard/Saw Heartbeat 6/27/2012 No heartbeat at 11 weeks D&C 7/6/2012
    BFP #2 10/28/2012 EDD July 12, 2013
    BFP #3 6/24/2015 EDD March 8, 2016

Oliver born July 6, 2013

• bobceebobcee member
    DS cluster feeds, so I'll feed for 20 min or so sometimes, and then spend another 10 min on burping, changing diaper and swaddling. I'll put him down, get to lay down for 1530 min myself and then he'll be up again. This continues for a few hours then he'll have a long 3 he stretch or so, eat again and have another long stretch before morning.

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• It takes usually 60 to 90 mins to feed, diaper change, burp and get her back to sleep... We got a 3 hour stretch between feedings last night and then she was up every 45 mins to an hour after eating again for 60 to 90 mins. Sigh.
  • Feedings have been taking about an hour. I really hope last night is indicative of how things will be going forward; he just finished his growth spurt, and slept 2.5 hour stretches between feedings. I dream every single time I sleep. No exceptions! It's so weird.
  • imagesonflower1427:

I've had a dream or two over the last 8 days and that's it. We're sleeping on the couch together, so baby girl feeds for probably 20 minutes or so (sometimes on each side) and then falls back asleep for a couple hours at the most. Then we repeat all night long.

Sorry to hijack your post OP, but I've seen other mom's post elsewhere too saying they are doing this and had to pipe up, it is MUCH more dangerous to sleep with your infant on a couch/sofa/recliner than in an actual bed. Just google safe co-sleeping and lots of articles explicitly warn against sofa sharing. Here is a recent article based on research in Australia about it:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-04-bedsharing-debate.html

I am definitely pro co-sleeping, when done safely. I nurse at night side-lying in bed, so I doze at the same time so I am not sure exactly how long it takes, but probably 20-30 minutes. Repeat every 2-3 hours. DH gets diaper duty.

image image image

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • OK, interesting! I think the 30 - 45 min is more what it was like with my son. This one is a slow eater and we have 2 diaper changes each time too, plus shes hard to burp and fusses quite a bit until we can get one out. Hoping she gets a little better at eating and burping as she gets older!

And re: REM sleep - my wife and I have a system where I do nighttime parenting until our toddler wakes at about 6:30, then she takes over till 8 or 9. The baby's last feed usually ends by 4:30 or 5 so I usually end up with one delightful 3 - 4 hour stretch, full of WEIRD dreams.

• I BF and it is probably 30 min.

• We are breast feeding and it also takes 30 to 60 minutes. Usually closer to 30. I've also mastered the side laying position which took me awhile to get used to with my first son...probably because my boobs are droopier now lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• imagejuliedave151:
    We are breastfeeding and she usually eats every 2 and a half hours and it takes about 20 min for her to be done and a few extra minutes for me to change her diaper. But she has been awake a lot more these past few days so we aren't going right back to sleep.

Same here!

imageimageimage

• owl214owl214 member
    We're BFing DD who's just over a week old, we're usually up for an hour with 4 hours sleep in between I almost feel spoiled with her sleeping this well so early! We feed every 3 hours during the day so I let her sleep longer at night.
  • I will fully admit I am very lucky. Tessa goes to sleep around 8pm and generally only wakes up once. It usually happens around 3am. And she likes to stay up and party for about an hour. She eats on both sides, gets her diaper changed, and usually wants to nurse one more time. 

She is my reward for her older brother putting me through 6-8 wakings every night, for the first 6 months. 

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"