October 2013 Moms

Wall decals

I was planning to paint something on the nursery wall, but I've found a few wall decals on etsy that are pretty much exactly what I want. I'm starting to think it might be easier to just buy one.

Have any of you used a vinyl or fabric decal before? How hard was it to put up? If you've had it up for a while, does it still look good?

imageimage

Re: Wall decals

• i think wall decals have jumped the shark.

• My one dining room wall had a damask pattern on it that I put up myself, which was very easy.  I just recently took it down bc we were going to rent out our house.  It was very easy to remove and left no " ghost print" or residue behind.

I do agree with cv to a certain extent, but I like the idea of it for a nursery bc if you're going to stencil or paint something on the wall you might as well use decals bc it's not permanent.   

photo 45ad94ec-8f7e-4e11-afa6-d58d009e0ecb_zpse556e368.jpg  image image

• Loading the player...
  • My husband and I put up a large decal in the nursery. It was pretty simple and it looks great! I bought it from Etsy too..
  • DD1's nursery had monkey wall stickers in it. They were easy to put up and take down.

• raeynraeyn member

What I'm considering is something like this:

Definitely no cartoon animals for me!

imageimage
  • Mae208Mae208 member
    imageCousinVicki:
    i think wall decals have jumped the shark.

It's a rare occasion, but I totally agree with CV here! They just seem really over done to me. But I also don't love nurseries that are painted in super babyish colors and things like that. But since its your babies nursery, you may as well just go with whatever you like best!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageBrandontricia:
    imageraeyn:

I actually think that is cute, and I think it would be way easier to buy it rather than paint it! 

agreed! From my experience something this big is probably going to come in several separate pieces, just so you're aware, not that it makes it anymore difficult just some lining up and you have more freedom of how you want it to look. 

photo 45ad94ec-8f7e-4e11-afa6-d58d009e0ecb_zpse556e368.jpg  image image

• I did a wall decal in the nursery this time, but its just DD2 name. It was simple putting up, but no where near as large as the picture you are showing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMae208:
    imageCousinVicki:
    It's a rare occasion, but I totally agree with CV here! They just seem really over done to me. But I also don't love nurseries that are painted in super babyish colors and things like that. But since its your babies nursery, you may as well just go with whatever you like best!

ditto. Monkeys and trees are SO overdone. That'll be chevron this time next year. And grey and yellow theme. 

• RedZeeRedZee member

We're in an apartment and not sure how long we'll be living here. I didn't want to paint anything that would make it harder to sell the place if and when the time comes.

I used to think wall decals were kind of tacky, but then I went to my friend's house who has a 5 year old. This little girl had decals all over the place and would regularly re-decorate the walls. I think she loved doing it and it didn't leave any weird marks and they weren't so expensive that it was a problem she was doing it.

I got a wall decal of DD's name on a deal of the day site. I had to put it on carefully but it stays really well. Then I got wall decals that match her bedding. Most of it has stayed well, but some of them have started peeling off. My bro got DD Dora wall decals. DD put them up all over the place and keeps moving them around and she really loves doing it. Again, some stay ok, some peel. It doesn't matter 'cause when she's done with the Dora phase we'll just be able to take them all down with no harm done.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • I did vinyl wall decals in the nursery and they turned out great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • AjoydAjoyd member
    I am back and forth on decals but I really like the pic of the nursery with the ones you are considering. If you like it who cares what is too trendy? You're the one who will be looking at it every day.

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • imageJenOSU03:
    I did vinyl wall decals in the nursery and they turned out great!

Me too! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• As long as you don't buy them somewhere cheesy they should be good. Some of them have a clear coat around them but it's very noticeable. I think as long as you but quality ones you should be okay.

• Mae208Mae208 member
    imageBeachMama7693:

imageMae208:
    imageCousinVicki:

ditto. Monkeys and trees are SO overdone. That'll be chevron this time next year. And grey and yellow theme. 

Oh chevron! I mean its really cute but its EVERYWHERE.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I did a vinyl one in DS1's room. It still looks great 2 years later. Most people think its painted on and not a decal. His is a helicopter and a couple clouds.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageraeyn:

I agree with CV but this room looks well put together. I dig it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"