August 2013 Moms

FTMs: 1+1=3

A question for my FTM's (or STMs, feel free to answer!)

Are you worried/nervous about the equation changing from just the two of you to the three of you? I'm obviously so, so excited to meet this little guy, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous about how it's going to change my relationship with DH. We've been married for 2 years, together for 9 1/2...it's going to be so strange to have someone else added into the mix!

Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
07/03/2012
08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
or you're all the way grown,
my promise to you
is you're never alone.
You are my angel, my darling,
my star...and my love will find you,
wherever you are."

Re: FTMs: 1+1=3

• I am. We've been married for almost 2 years and together for 6 and I have no idea how the dynamics are going to change. I have no doubt of DH being a great dad or anything like that. But I have a feeling neither has any clue how much life is going to change.
  • I think about it too. Our first wedding anniversary was this past March and we were together not quite 3 years when we got married. We still find ourselves adjusting to married life sometimes so adding LO will certainly make it interesting!
  • Loading the player...
  • Absolutely! It's always just been H and I and this will be a huge change. So exciting and scary at the same time LOL.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have nervous breakdowns about this. We've been married two and a half years, together 4. 

I just love him so much and it's always just been "us". 

Flame away, but after LO arrives, I'm still planning to put our relationship first. I know kids take over your life, but they don't have to ruin a relationship. We'll be doing everything we can to keep our close connection and not grow resentful of each other. We've seen it happen to too many people once they start making babies.  We'll do our best. 

• Not really.  We are coming up on ten years, I'm actually a little sick of it being just us, we need this baby to shake up our routine, we are way too stale.

What I am concerned about is changing my daily habits from just me to me and babe.  I'm such a tv/internet junkie and I usually bum around all morning and run my errands in the afternoon.   It's going to take a lot of getting used to, but I'm looking forward to being more productive.  In my mom fantasies, I'm totally on top of everything, home-cooked meals, sparkling clean house, fun activities with the kids, etc.

photo regina_zpsee0752b3.gif

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 mm/c at 12w1d

• imageMrsWahidi:

I have nervous breakdowns about this. We've been married two and a half years, together 4. 

Flame away, but after LO arrives, I'm still planning to put our relationship first. I know kids take over your life, but they don't have to ruin a relationship. We'll be doing everything we can to keep our close connection and not grow resentful of each other. We've seen it happen to too many people once they start making babies.  We'll do our best. 

I don't think putting your relationship first is a bad thing. You need the strong bond/love between the two of you first. I think it'll only help your relationship with your children. A strong marriage/union is a great thing.

Not sure if I worded all of that the way I have it in my head... Darn pregnancy brain :)

• I'm excited, nervous and many other emotions. We will figure it out. I hear what the poster is saying about still making your relationship a priority. It will be hard at first but we can find little ways to stay connected. 
    image image
  • I am! We are still engaged so we haven't even began our married life together. It makes me nervous, but Im so excited for our little family! I have known since the day I met him that he was the one I'd spend my life with and have a family with. It happened in a little backwards of an order, but I am so anxious!!
    A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
  • I'm just going to say that it's a beautiful experience... It should definitely change your relationship for the better, just never forget to make time for just the two of you or you will go crazy!!! It's good to relax and unwind every now and again when it's possible :] good luck mommies! They are getting here before we know it!!! :D

BabyFruit Ticker

j13 sept. siggy challenge: Apples:

• imagejohnson8586:
    imageMrsWahidi:

I have nervous breakdowns about this. We've been married two and a half years, together 4. 

I don't think putting your relationship first is a bad thing. You need the strong bond/love between the two of you first. I think it'll only help your relationship with your children. A strong marriage/union is a great thing.

Not sure if I worded all of that the way I have it in my head... Darn pregnancy brain :)

I understand what you're saying. By having a strong relationship, hopefully that extends into being a more stable, secure family for our future daughter. This is my thought as well.

• This has troubled me ever since we found out that we're expecting. My husband and I have been together for nearly 14 years and married for nearly 9 of those. It's always been just us and our birds. We will work hard to keep our marriage strong all while loving our baby boy. The thought of have someone else living with us scares the mess out of me though - seriously.
    Anniversary 
    BabyFetus Ticker 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've been nervous about that change for a while now. The whole dynamic will change, and I'm looking forward to LO, but DH and I will be celebrating 10 years of marriage in November and we have been together for a total of 13.

So, while we planned this pregnancy and went through fertility treatments, it still makes me wonder how this will change everything! No more spontaneous plans or late nights with friends.

Looking forward to family life, but also wondering how we will adjust.
  • So glad to see these comments! I have been really freaking lately!! 37 weeks tomorrow and some days are better than other on this subject. DH and I have also been together about 10 years...married for two. We go so much..do so much right now...always hunting, fishing, or something!! I'm so worried about things changing and losing us. I know DH is going to be an awesome dad, and we are both so excited about baby boy coming in a couple weeks...but I am so worried about what it will do to our relationship too. I know it will probably enhance what we have..it's the unknown that is so scary though!!
  • imageMrsWahidi:
    imagejohnson8586:
    imageMrsWahidi:

I understand what you're saying. By having a strong relationship, hopefully that extends into being a more stable, secure family for our future daughter. This is my thought as well.

all of this!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wasn't worried about it while I was pregnant with DD, but we definitely had to go through an adjustment period. Part of it was the whole lack of sleep/dealing with a high strung baby and part of it was everything with DH's dysfunctional family coming to a head. 

I'm more worried this time and mostly in regards to how DD is going to adjust. I'm also praying to God that this LO is nothing like DD was as an infant!  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • RK125RK125 member
    We've been married for 6, together for 13. I worry about this too. DH has been wonderful through this entire pregnancy and I have no doubt he'll be a great dad. But I'm worried that we won't have our "us" time. I keep telling myself we just have to get into our routine and we'll be set.

• Completely agree. Our marriage class warned us that the birth of the first child is the greatest period of stress in a marriage.

DH and I have been together for 9 years, married for 6.5 years. Its been just us for so long, not sure how this is going to work.

• I am not really worried or nervous. Definitely excited for the changes. We have been married almost 2 and together for almost 9 years. So this is definitely the next big thing for us. 

It's going to be different and quite the adjustment but I am pumped. Once we find the groove and get into routine I will definitely push for date nights, etc. so we don't lose those "us" moments.

• imagejohnson8586:
    imageMrsWahidi:

I agree with all of this.  I feel closer to my husband (married 5 years, together 7) now more than ever.  Putting our relationship first (within reason) will only strengthen the bond of the whole family. 

• This is our second, but I'm really nervous about bringing a new baby home. Our daughter is 2, and the three of us really have a good routine. I'm worried how sheis going to act with baby sister here!
  • I also want to add that we planned for this pregnancy and spent 5 married years enjoying and learning more about each other.  We got our careers and finances on track, took some amazing vacations, and had weekly date nights.  This will all change, but we rejoiced in the time of "just the two of us."  I think that is very important as well.
  • No. Not really. I think LO will add so much joy/crazy/amazement to our family.  I don't see her as holding us back in fun/excitement in our relationship, I just see her as bringing us to the next level in our lives (as parents!!!!), which is so beautiful. Can't wait!

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
  • imageBelhurstBride:

and part of it was everything with DH's dysfunctional family coming to a head. 

this. This is probably the only thing I worry about. My family has been such a complete nightmare during this pregnancy, that my DH and I have decided to distance ourselves tremendously. I just worry about how it's really going to be with them, since they have zero respect for what we want and put their wants in front of everyone else's. ugh. 

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
  • Yes, I'm definitely nervous about how having a baby will change our relationship. I don't want us to lose who we are because we have such an amazing marriage, I really couldn't be any happier. I know that babies bring so much joy and love on an even deeper level, but I will admit that it is bittersweet that it won't be just the two of us for much longer.

• tdmklmtdmklm member
    No snark here. Serious question: how do you envision putting your relationship with your DHs or partners first given the needs of a newborn/infant? The way DW and I have made it work is to make our family the priority. The whole family, that is. I really can't see how I, or she, could have made our relationship as a couple come first once we had J... We're getting back into the swing of things now that he's almost three with date nights, alone time, etc, but with a newborn or infant... I just can't see it.

ETA I'm nervous about how the dynamic will change with another LO... And I'm nervous about giving up the reclaimed relationship, so to speak, but I know it's temporary. BFP smiley.
  • DH and I have been married 3 years and together 4 (we married on our 1 year anniversary). I am both nervous and excited to see how this goes. I really can't wait to see how DH does as a father.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Definitely nervous/excited. DH and I have been married almost 3 years, together 4.5. His job is very...challenging, in terms of schedule. His days off change monthly and his hours vary day to day so I know that it will take a bit of time to adjust since we never have a regular schedule anyway. I am looking forward to seeing DH as a daddy!

I figure we will adjust as need be but I do plan on working to keep our relationship our first priority. As a child of divorced parents I feel pretty strongly that one of the best things you can do for your children is put time and energy into your relationship with your spouse.

• I've definitely been thinking about this. My DH and I actually took a class based on the book And Baby Makes Three by Dr. John Gottman, and while I can't speak to the book, the class was incredibly helpful. DH and I have been married just shy of two years, together for almost five, and friends since high school (so almost fifteen years), so I feel like we actually have pretty good communication/conflict resolution skills, and we've always had a great connection, so I wasn't sure how how helpful the class would be, but we were both really impressed. It sparked a lot of really great discussion, brought up some topics to think about, and gave some great pointers. If the book is anywhere near as good as the class, I highly recommend it (and if your hospital offers the class or one like it, take it!).

One thing the instructor mentioned that I think is really important to remember, is that one of the best things you can do for your child is to have a strong relationship with your spouse. Not only is that child learning from you (how to treat a partner, conflict resolution, division of household labor, etc), but studies have shown that children from households where there is a lot of conflict/arguing/etc between parents have a lot more cortisol (the stress hormone) in their system. They don't heal as fast, they are more likely to get sick and stay sick longer - it actually has a physical effect on their health.

The class goes over common hurdles parents of newborns face, ways to maintain your connection, important things to discuss prior to baby, etc. I really can't recommend it enough, especially if it's something you're nervous about! I know it made us feel a lot better and more prepared!

• Definitely nervous but not worried. We've been married 6 yrs, together 9 yrs, and have been friends for going on 15. Fortunately I have faith in the foundation of our relationship and I know that getting into a new routine may be challenging and there may be some bumps but we've always found ourselves on the other side of these things stronger. I believe that will be the case here.  We just can't wait to meet this LO. 

• imageMrsWahidi:

I would never flame you for this... I feel the exact same way. We both know that we will always been one another's number one...baby is 2nd but it doesn't mean we love him any less. In fact, a strong, happy marriage is a good example for children.

• After 5 years of marriage and ten plus together - we are beyond excited. Daddy says it a billion times a day of how he can't wait for his son. We needed the shake up and we are very much couple oriented.
  • I am a little nervous about the big change as well! DH and I have been together for 5 years, and we're incredibly dependent on each other. We do nothing apart from each other, it's perhaps a little weird. I don't think I've ever even been grocery shopping on my own. We shower together every day (just part of our relationship I guess), commute to work, often get together over lunches, and most of our hobbies are for the two of us. Even though we have two vehicles he always drove me to my swim classes. I think having the baby will require me to be a lot more independent, which is a good thing I suppose. I just love that we spoil each other with attention, and I worry about how we'll handle the change. I hope neither of us get jealous of the other's attention to the baby. I am REALLY looking forward to DH + LO bonding, I just hope I don't feel jealous. 
  • It changes it for sure, but in a good way. Your world is rocked for a few months then you get into a groove, but in that you also get to see your DH become a father, which is awesome.  There's a side of him you won't ever know until he is a father, and knowing that side is really cool. You'll argue of course and sometimes have a heck of a time figuring things out, but it's good overall.
  • Absolutely. I'm so beyond excited to meet our son, but nervous how things will change. We are both really stubborn, too. But I'm sure we'll all so great! Just an adjustment. :]
  • Add me to the list lol I think it's super normal to be worried about this a little bit.
  • That was one of the hardest things for me to deal with when we brought DS home. DS didn't like being set down, so when we did get two seconds of quiet without a baby in either of our arms, I always hugged hubby a lot because I felt lonely for him... even though I was with him all the time. I missed getting to just sit down and cuddle together on a whim. Maybe it was the hormones, but this set me crying a lot the first two weeks. 

However, once we got past the newborn stage and my hormones evened out, all was well. We maintained a balance of cuddle time and taking care of baby time, and now I think it might be boring if it were the two of us again ;-)

And, in my opinion, your relationship with DH should come first. Without making that part of the family unit priority, the child rearing aspect falls apart. After we felt comfortable, we made sure to have a date night out just the two of us at least once a month and make an effort to cuddle/connect every night after DS goes to bed. Adding a kiddo is definitely a change, but everything balances out :-)

Pregnancy Ticker

Photobucket
    Caleb Jonathan
    Born November 30, 2011

The Winking of an Eye
    A blog about the mommyhood, wifehood and lifehood of a misplaced Minnesotan in SoCal
  • I'd be lying if I said I don't get nervous about it sometimes.  DH and I have a great relationship, and I do worry about upsetting (for lack of a better word) the good balance that we have together.  But at the same time, we have wanted this for a long time, and are ready for our family to grow.  Only time will tell, but I have faith that it will be all good.
    After 1.5 years TTC, IUI #2= BFP 12/2/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"And the dream that you dare to dream really do come true"

• I thought about this a lot at first, because DH and I have had the best of both worlds throughout our relationship. We have been together for 8 years (married for 3) and have raised my step son together since he was 1 year old. But we always had week about with his mother so 1 week we were parents, and 1 week it was just us. The weeks on our own let us catch up together and reconnect so I had my initial concerns about how we would be without those 'downtime' weeks, especially since we don't have any family around us to provide regular support. 

But having spoken about it with my husband, and seeing how excited he is about having our daughter here all the time, instead of being part time parents, I am so much more settled about it all. As my husband explained, it will give us a much more consistent and structured life as a family and, just like we do with my step son, we will always still make our relationship together as important as our relationship with our children. We have always made a point of being open about having 'adult time', not having my step son sleep in our bed and keeping our bedroom for ourselves, asking him to wait if my husband and I are in the middle of speaking, and then stopping to listen to him, and if my husband and I are cuddling on the couch and my step son wants to join in he can cuddle up to one or the other of us, but we don't let him budge his way in the middle. It might sound a little mean, and most of this didn't come into affect until he was a bit older, but it is important for him to know that Dad and Honey (what he has always called me) have a special relationship too and now he often talks to us about how he knows that we really love each other. 

My husband and I have been through a lot and always come out the other end with more love and respect than before. This is such an exciting step for us and I just can not WAIT to meet our daughter, and I know that even with all the ups and downs, we will keep growing stronger as a couple, and as a family for all being together.

TTC Since March 2010 - 2 angel babies - BFP December 12 EDD 12 Aug 13 Lilypie Maternity tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yes definitely! We have been together almost 5 years and married 1... it will definitely shake things up and I am in denial about just how much will change. I can't wait to see my husband become a dad though :)
    image   image
  • I always think of this, when I think of the changes to come....

TTC Since March 2010 - 2 angel babies - BFP December 12 EDD 12 Aug 13 Lilypie Maternity tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"