December 2013 Moms

STM potty training??

Help! We're potty training my 3 yr old. He's been doing great for the past week and a half to 2 weeks. However, he's started holding his urine. So even when we encourage him to go, and he sits on the toilet, nothing happens. Later, he wets himself.

I get the strong feeling this is a battle of wills. As in, I can make him sit but can't make him go.

Any suggestions? My DH wants to use a toy as a reward, meaning we take it away if he has an accident and give it back when he gets it right. I'm afraid this will further create stress and increase the battle. Any suggestions??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: STM potty training??

• I would just keep doing what you're doing. Encouraging him to go and praising him when he does. I know it's a pain cleaning pee clothes all the time but he'll eventually get the hang of it. DON'T give him a toy and then take it away. Most kids will regress a little before they move forward again. Good luck!

View Full Size Image 
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• lp0lp0 member
    I'm not there yet as DS is only 18 months but my cousin is having the hardest time with her 3 yr old DS. I believe she's finally getting results with rewarding with stickers, special snacks and toys from the potty fairy.

Maybe instead of "punishing" by taking away a toy you can reward when your lo does go in the potty. Just a thought, like I said I don't have any personal experience yet with this. GL!
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • imageLP0198:
    I'm not there yet as DS is only 18 months but my cousin is having the hardest time with her 3 yr old DS. I believe she's finally getting results with rewarding with stickers, special snacks and toys from the potty fairy.

Maybe instead of "punishing" by taking away a toy you can reward when your lo does go in the potty. Just a thought, like I said I don't have any personal experience yet with this. GL!

Yeah, we have been rewarding with a piece of candy and an excited potty dance. Unfortunately, we haven't had an opportunity to do this in the past week because he's in daycare and doesn't pee when he gets home or before bedtime.
  • Also, when we were potty training DS, we had him run around without any bottoms on (no diaper, no pants) and that seemed to encourage him to want to go. Maybe try that?

View Full Size Image 
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image

• imagecherylnicole:
    Also, when we were potty training DS, we had him run around without any bottoms on no diaper, no pants and that seemed to encourage him to want to go. Maybe try that?

Thanks, this is exactly what we did the first four days to teach him the control. He definitely has the control part down! He only peed twice today. However, maybe having him run around naked again would discourage him from wetting himself... Hmmm
  • I think that's where the problems come is daycare...when my son was potty training he was doing great at home it was when he attended school and came home that was the problem....I don't think he felt comfy going to the bathroom at school with the teachers especially with it being fairly new....but we just kept him on the toliet alittle longer and just reminded him to pee before he gets up....
  • I just thought about the Cheerios trick....have him stand when he pees, and put the Cheerios in the toliet...then tell him to get the Cheerios while he goes to the bathroom......
  • imageMrsHoffman2b:
    Help! We're potty training my 3 yr old. He's been doing great for the past week and a half to 2 weeks. However, he's started holding his urine. So even when we encourage him to go, and he sits on the toilet, nothing happens. Later, he wets himself. I get the strong feeling this is a battle of wills. As in, I can make him sit but can't make him go. Any suggestions? My DH wants to use a toy as a reward, meaning we take it away if he has an accident and give it back when he gets it right. I'm afraid this will further create stress and increase the battle. Any suggestions??

This is exactly what we did with my DS.  And it WORKED.  

• I can't even tell you how many children I have potty trained oer the last three years working with autistic children the key is in the reward. Whatever he loves most is what you take from him.. If its a toy great, a tv show fine, doesn't matter. He's pees in the toilet you give him the most fun party with all these great things he loves.. It might be something you don't want him I have like pop.. He gets it for five to ten minutes. Then you take it back and tell him next time you go pee we do this all again. In the meantime when he's not peeing you make life not so rewarding, he can play but not with the things he loves best.. It works!!! Lots or research!!
  • honestly, offering something for when she went is what made all the difference for us. My dd is extremely stubborn and she never wanted to stop what she was doing. After Christmas we had all these leftover cookies so we started giving her one bite of  one every time she went. After she got the hang of it we just gradually started weaning her from them. Now she goes no problem.

Oh and I was totally anti-bribe before this, but what works, works. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"