Babies: 0 - 3 Months

LO has colic

Well, went to the pediatrician yesterday for baby's one month appointment. He's growing good for starting out so small. He's now 6lbs. 7oz. and 18 inches long. I know that sounds small, but it's almost 2 pounds from where he stated out at, so we are super excited.

The bad news is he has colic. The doctor didn't give us much hope for anything working. He said you pretty much have to wait it out for the next 8 weeks or so and it should go away. That seems like so far away. Any advice from other mommies on how to deal with this and make it through?

Re: LO has colic

• I tried everything for my 3 week old. Gripe water, all different types of gas drops etc. I went yesterday to Walgreens and spent 30 dollars on Baby Gaia probiotics. They are in with the gas drops in the baby section. You give them five drops a day. Last night was the first night without crying. So I'm not sure if that is why but hell its worth a shot for some peace. Also I have anxiety because of the colic and my ob put me on Zoloft. If your feeling anxious and helpless you may want to call your ob. The sleep sheep set on the rain sound really calms my lo also. We also start bedtime/winding down routine at 8. He usually Clonks out at 10 pm. Keep it dark and quite and try the 5 S's. Swaddle, swing or sway, shoosh, suck, and side lying position. You can google it for explainations. GL
    imageimage
    imageimage image
  • jennOKjennOK member
    I'm reading The Happiest Baby on the Block right now. We also are using a little of the colic calm when he seems on the verge of spiraling completely out of control. I really don't want to use it all the time though, so we are trying to just handle the crying and comfort as much as possible. He only sleeps for minutes at a time if layed down, so we are taking turns holding him to sleep. Everyone is worn out, and it's only been 4 weeks!
  • Loading the player...
  • All you can do is ride it out. Yes, it sucks.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Pretty much have to ride it out.  Check out Happiest Baby on the Block.  It doesn't "fix" colic, but may give you some techniques on how to calm baby down some with swaddling, noise, position, etc. 
  • Around 6 or 9 weeks, we finally found out that DS's colic was really silent reflux. The meds helped, but until we got the DX, it helped tremendously to wear him. He would actually sleep that way, and it kept me from going stir-crazy from sitting still holding him. I used a K'tan, but there are lots of good options for NBs.

• jennOKjennOK member
    I have a Ktan Breeze ordered. It should be here any day. It's heartbreaking to watch and listen to, but I know we'll get through it. My husband wants to constantly fix him though. I keep explaining that we can't.
  • imagejennOK:
    I have a Ktan Breeze ordered. It should be here any day. It's heartbreaking to watch and listen to, but I know we'll get through it. My husband wants to constantly fix him though. I keep explaining that we can't.

same here. DH doesn't understand that sometimes he's just going to cry. And I need a break so he has to hold him. I cant wait for this to pass.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • When my son was about a month old he cried a lot. We took him to the pediatrician. They tested his stool for blood and it was positive. Turned out he had a soy and dairy allergy. I cut both out of my diet and he was a happy baby in a matter of a couple days. May be worth a shot looking in to stopping dairy and soy in your diet if you bf or changing formula. Good Luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My first DD had colic.  It was truly awful and very stressful to deal with.  Wearing her helped some, sleep sound machine helped some and loud music helped some.  Mostly, what helped was time.  I know its hard but just keep remembering - this is only a phase and your sweet little one will be a happy baby soon!
  • There are things you can try. Probiotics. BioGaia is now marketed as Gerber Soothe Colic Drops. Giving up dairy and maybe soy. This made a huge difference with my LO, but it does take a few days to 2 weeks to see improvement. And our pedi says she's always willing to try Zantac for an overly fussy baby. It may be worth asking about. My DS has reflux so Zantac didn't do much, but he's on Nexium which did.

The 5 Ss worked for us, too. Swaddling, especially.

Good luck. They say it won't last forever, and when you finally can look back, you'll be surprised how quickly they went by, even though they seem like they'll never end when you are living through it.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • My SIL's newborn had colic and was crying more than 9hrs a day. They tried everything on the market to no avail.  Finally someone recommended they see a chiropractor for realignment because it can apparently affect their digestive track. After the first visit, his crying cut in half.  After the second visit he would fuss only on occasion like a typical baby.  I can't vouch for this method because we've never personally tried it, but I will say it seemed to work for my nephew.  I wish you luck. If you have family nearby perhaps they could come stay with you for a night every now and again so you and your DH can get some sleep.  My in-laws did that a few times a week for my SIL so she could keep her sanity before she tried the chiropractor.
  • imagejennOK:
    I'm reading The Happiest Baby on the Block right now. We also are using a little of the colic calm when he seems on the verge of spiraling completely out of control. I really don't want to use it all the time though, so we are trying to just handle the crying and comfort as much as possible. He only sleeps for minutes at a time if layed down, so we are taking turns holding him to sleep. Everyone is worn out, and it's only been 4 weeks!

Did you try putting a pillow under one side of the crib mattress to elevate it. My DD has reflux and it worked wonders when putting her in her crib for the night.

"No one will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimageimage

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"