June 2013 Moms

Pumpers and bottle nipple flow

Hello.

My daughter is 4 weeks old. I EBF but wanted to introduce her to bottles around this age because my DS would never take bottles and i EBF him till he was 20 mths old! Well i just tried giving her a bottle for the first time and I have a few questions/concerns.

Though she did well overall, the nipple flow still seems to be too fast and she choked several times and milk leaked from the corners of her mouth. I am using Tommie Tippie and would like to stay with them because she latched well with it. But the nipple is a 1 so thats the slowest I can get right? Any solution to this or will it just inprove as she gets use to it?

How much does your 4 week old drink? I do not know how much she takes since she has never done a bottle before. She is a needy sucker and uses me as a paci constantly for sleep so I am worried she will over eat due to just wanting to suck. The bottle had 3oz in it and she gulped that down in under 5 mins. She spit up twice, she has issues with reflux, and her belly seems so full so I was worrying she was eating too much especially since it hasnt been that long since her last feeding. Any advice on this?

I gave her the paci afterward but that only lasted 5 minutes till she wanted on my breast. She has sucked but not really eaten and is starting to fall asleep so maybe the 3oz did fill her up then??

TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage

Re: Pumpers and bottle nipple flow

• Do they have a preemie nipple?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • AchaeAchae member
    I would feed her a half ounce, burp for a bit, return, repeat. Baby will take whatever in a bottle because it is not as much effort so it doesn't trigger that they are full. If her feedings normally take 15 minutes, try to space out the bottle over that period. If she still is fussy after some time with burping and soothing, then offer breast!
  • Loading the player...
  • Errr not sure. Ill have to check and see. If they do that would be awesome cause though she is 4 weeks old she was born 3 weeks early and her stomach muscle still has alot of strengtening to do which is why she has reflux and spits up.

imageimage
  • imageAchae:
    I would feed her a half ounce, burp for a bit, return, repeat. Baby will take whatever in a bottle because it is not as much effort so it doesn't trigger that they are full. If her feedings normally take 15 minutes, try to space out the bottle over that period. If she still is fussy after some time with burping and soothing, then offer breast!
    . I did make her stop and burp her a few times since I was worried. That is when she spit up. Her feedings are quick and always under 10 minutes. Which is why im so confused lol

imageimage
  • Hold the bottle sideways and just fill the nipple with milk. That way the flow will be slower.
  • imagekames12:
    At 4 weeks DS was eating about 2.5 ounces I'm EPing. We started at 2 weeks and he was only eating about 1.5 ounces at a time and gradually increased if we gave him more, he would spit up. DS never thinks he is full when he finishes his bottle and fusses while burping. He's given a pacifier and about 510 minutes later he realizes that his belly is full. Our pedi told me that 1 month old babies should be eating between 23 ounces every 23 hours.

Okay thank you. I was thinking along those lines.

imageimage
  • imagekari.sandall:
    Hold the bottle sideways and just fill the nipple with milk. That way the flow will be slower.

Sideways? I am not sure the build of a tommie tippie will let me do that if you are literally meaning sideways. I did sit her up to feed her though so there would not be much pressure behind the milk flow but guess it did not work well enough.

imageimage
  • Not sure about TT bottles, but I know Dr. Brown's has a preemie nipple. At 4 wks, my EP baby drank probably around 3 ounces, give or take 1/2 an ounce.  

Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs&oq=paced%20bo&gs_l=youtube..0.5j35i39j0i5.907.1933.0.3684.8.8.0.0.0.0.304.1706.0j3j4j1.8.0.eytns%2Cpt%3D-30%2Cn%3D2%2Cui%3Dt.1.0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.G-W8lfDCNcE 

• imagekelly422:
    Not sure about TT bottles, but I know Dr. Brown's has a preemie nipple. At 4 wks, my EP baby drank probably around 3 ounces, give or take 1/2 an ounce. nbsp;Check out this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGsamp;oq=paced20boamp;gs_l=youtube..0.5j35i39j0i5.907.1933.0.3684.8.8.0.0.0.0.304.1706.0j3j4j1.8.0.eytns2Cpt3D302Cn3D22Cui3Dt.1.0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.GW8lfDCNcEnbsp;

Thank you for the video! I did most of the things in the video from instinct but there were some small details that helped so I will try it next time : I am going to search for a TT premie nip as well.

imageimage
  • imagejeska511:
    imagekari.sandall:
    Hold the bottle sideways and just fill the nipple with milk. That way the flow will be slower.

Sideways? I am not sure the build of a tommie tippie will let me do that if you are literally meaning sideways. I did sit her up to feed her though so there would not be much pressure behind the milk flow but guess it did not work well enough.

I never tried with a tommee tippee sorry. That's how we had to feed my preemies but I guess we didn't switch to tommee tippees until later.
  • I found out TT does not have a preemie nipple but they do have a variflow kind. I might try it or get some Dr Browns eventually.

imageimage
  • We were taught paced bottle feeding at our breastfeeding class. Look on You tube for paced bottle feeding. It slows down the baby's feeding to mimic more of a breastfeeding rate. A breastfed baby eats much slower and usually can't handle the speed from the bottle.
  • If you're open to trying other bottles, I'd suggest the Breastflow or Medela Calma. They're both made to mimic breastfeeding (forcing baby to compress/suck the nipple to get milk, instead of having the milk just dribble out of the nipple).

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • imagehomebird:
    If you're open to trying other bottles, I'd suggest the Breastflow or Medela Calma. They're both made to mimic breastfeeding (forcing baby to compress/suck the nipple to get milk, instead of having the milk just dribble out of the nipple).

I wish I would have known this 2 months ago and maybe I wouldn't be EPing now :(  

• Try sitting baby more upright so they drink slower. Also stop every half ounce to burl. My LO takes about an ounce per hour since last feed. So if its been 3 hours I would do 3 oz too. At night he never has finished it though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"