June 2013 Moms
Options

Working and pumping moms

When did you or do you plan to start pumping? My little guy is a month old, so I still have 8 weeks home with him. I am really scared about creating an over supply of milk if I start too soon, but my hubby is anxious for me to start so he can give me a break. 

Re: Working and pumping moms

• Options
    AchaeAchae member
    I started two weeks in to build a stash. You can't have too much, you can always donate if your LO doesn't go through it!
  • Options
    imageAchae:
    I started two weeks in to build a stash. You can't have too much, you can always donate if your LO doesn't go through it!

You can create an oversupply which is not great for your baby. They will get more foremilk and not enough of the good fatty hindmilk. I'm right where you are with 8 more weeks at home. I've started pumping after my morning feed. She only takes one side in the mornings bc I'm more full so I get a lot from the other side. I've already slowly built up a good freezer stash which is my insurance policy should something happen and I'm temporarily unable to BF.

ETA. I'm pumping just once a day to build up a savings. If you want to replace a feed I'd pump when you would be feeding and your H can give a bottle. Don't pump less often than LO eats.
    imageimageimage
    My two girls Flower and Ayla Faye
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started pumping last week, when I had about 8 weeks left of leave. I've been pumping in the morning, about an hour after his first feeding. This usually gives me enough for a full bottle, which we then give him before bed. Then, right before I go to bed I pump again and that goes in the freezer. I usually don't get as much at night. This has been working great for us because it gives me a little break in the evenings.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"