August 2013 Moms

Delivering at different hospital

So I recently switched to a new OB because I moved from nor cal to so cal. I wanted a baby friendly hospital but the closest one was an hour away and that didn't seem realistic because due to my GD I am considered high risk and go to the doctors 34 times a week. Well on my maternity tour I found out that they separate you from the baby an hour after birth for about 34 hours before being brought back. I am really uncomfortable with this. They also said they won't let the baby stay for longer than an hour after birth. I am now considering delivering at a different hospital that is baby friendly and does not separate the baby at all. I just wondering if anyone else has done this? I know I can because my hospital keeps asking what hospital I will deliver at. I just wanted to get someone's perspective on this since as a FTM I am unsure if this is unrealistic of me.
BabyName Ticker

Re: Delivering at different hospital

• Not at all unrealistic - choose the hospital that is baby friendly and will honor your wishes, hands down.
  • I would check too to see if your OB is affiliated with any other hospital and hope they are more "baby friendly"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejesusita2002:
    I would check too to see if your OB is affiliated with any other hospital and hope they are more "baby friendly"

I didn't even think of this! I'm going to ask her at my appt on Wed. Thanks! Sometimes I feel like I'm just being an irrational FTM but I can't wrap my head around being separated that soon and for that long.
    BabyName Ticker
  • imageyayamag:
    imagejesusita2002:
    I would check too to see if your OB is affiliated with any other hospital and hope they are more "baby friendly"

I didn't even think of this! I'm going to ask her at my appt on Wed. Thanks! Sometimes I feel like I'm just being an irrational FTM but I can't wrap my head around being separated that soon and for that long.

I don't feel you are being irrational at all! I was with DS for one hour and then they did take him away to do stuff for MAYBE 30 to 45 minutes...which was nice so I could use the bathroom, clean up a bit and scarf down some food. BUT not 3 to 4 hours!!! That seems like an awfully long time.

DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• You do what's best for you, and what you feel is right. But you wanna know what's NOT happening after I give birth? Someone taking my baby. Doctors and nurses can fluck right off if they think I'm letting her go for anything short of a medical emergency.

• tdmklmtdmklm member
    God help the idiot who tries to take my newborn away for three hours if it's not an emergency. I'd flip out.

OP, I'd definitely find a different hospital. That's crazy.
  • That sounds outrageous to me. My hospital will never take the baby away unless there is a medical reason, and in that case dad or whoever is ALWAYS welcome to go with and they encourage this. All the after birth stuff is done right in the room, baby never leaves. What do they even plan on doing for 3-4 hours with him/her?? I would definitely look into delivering somewhere else.
    image   image
  • That's so strange, did they say their reasoning for doing that?? I hope you find a more preferable hospital to deliver at!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Where is SoCal are you? There are a lot of baby friendly hospitals in the area. My hospital does what they call a 'babymoon' 

Right after birth they put the baby directly on your stomach and do the APGAR from there. They weigh the baby in the room and then put him right on your chest. The next hour, its only you and your partner in the room. A nurse will come in and check on you a few times and help you initiate the first feeding. Baby is kept in the room with you, there is no nursery.  

Here's a list of hospitals that have been given the Baby Friendly label. 

https://www.babyfriendlyusa.org/find-facilities/list-of-designated-facilities--by-state

• I would switch hospitals. We had option of two hospitals at first in this pregnancy--one an hour and one a half hour (our midwives had privileges at both). With DD they only had privileges at the one an hour away. I LOVED that hospital. Among other things, they only separated DD very briefly for her hearing test (which I hear can now be done in room) and they really encourage SO to come along for it (stand outside, but it was super short). This time, I felt a lot of pressure to go to closer one, but the more I learned the more uncomfortable I was because policies are as you describe. I was really considering going to the further one anyway just because I didn't like the vibe of the closer one. Fortunately, our midwife practice is currently short staffed, so will only be delivering at the further one when we are due (and well enough past that). An hour isn't horrible, worst case you just go in sooner. And just because hospital is that far wouldn't mean appts are all that far, right? I'm fortunate I can still have appts a half hour away (most anything is that far from our house).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• There is no way in heII I'd deliver at a hospital that takes babe away for so long, for no reason. They need to seriously update themselves on the most current evidence based practices!
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you ladies you have definitely made me feel more confidant in switching! I am in N Whittier so that puts me oddly in the center of several that are still about an hour away I was also taking into account LA traffic

The reason they take the babies is because their rooms are not equipped to do follow up procedures so they have to be done in the nursery. So things like washing him, vitamin k shot, hearing test and they mention some other stuff I can't think of. It was just shocking to me because the hospital I was going to deliver at up North was baby friendly and the baby only left for medical necessities. I even asked about delaying some of those things or spreading them out and they flat out said no because "August is their busy month"
    BabyName Ticker
  • imageELauren88:
    You do what's best for you, and what you feel is right. But you wanna know what's NOT happening after I give birth? Someone taking my baby. Doctors and nurses can fluck right off if they think I'm letting her go for anything short of a medical emergency.

This exactly!! Baby will not leave me but for a a VERY brief time right after delivery and DH will be with them the whole time! After that its 24 hr baby time unless I say otherwise, which I doubt I will! You have to do what makes you most comfortable, I would not be ok with that scenario. I would definitely start with your OB and see what they say.

• Wow that is crazy. So not up with current standards of practice and knowledge about what is right for the baby. Follow your gut on this!

• I have a close friend that lives in Whittier and she refused to deliver her baby at the Whittier hospital. Instead she delivered at a hospital in Fullerton which is like 20 min away or less. You should check that out.
  • imageyayamag:
    Thank you ladies you have definitely made me feel more confidant in switching! I am in N Whittier so that puts me oddly in the center of several that are still about an hour away I was also taking into account LA traffic

Look to see if you can deliver at St Jude's Hospital in Fullerton. It's about a half hour away from you. They are absolutely wonderful there. I plan on delivering there. You can register for their Open House on Saturday afternoon to take a tour of L&D and they will explain different procedures & policies.

• Definitely look into that. I would not be okay with that policy. there is too much research saying those sorts of practices are detrimental to baby and bonding. Listen to your gut; if your not comfy with this find somewhere else.

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"