Baby Names

You're saying it wrong.

Adorable little baby girl with a monogrammed diaper bag in the grocery cart. Bag reads Emmyleigh. Three women all with the baby kept calling her Emily. I m sorry but Emmyleigh is not pronounced Emily. 

I wanted to kick all three of them in the back of the knees. I hate wal-mart and they all made it much worse for me. It  was making FI squirm before I even had pointed it out.  

Am I wrong? Would other areas pronounce these two names the same? 

Anniversary
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
 BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

Re: You're saying it wrong.

• I've never seen the name emmyleigh but I would have assumed the way you said, not Emily.
  • To me, it should read more like Emi-lay.

ETA: reading fail.  I didn't see it was spelled Emmyleigh .... wtf??  

Then I'd say Emmy-lay.  Which sounds really horrible to me.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• Loading the player...
  • M-E-Lee...  like saying "Emmy" and "Leigh" smooshed together, right?
  • imagespasticfantastic:
    M-E-Lee...  like saying "Emmy" and "Leigh" smooshed together, right?

That's what I was thinking.  

Anniversary

• Let me get this straight.

You got your knickers in a twist over someone else's child's name being mispronounced? In WalMart?

If I saw it, I'd say M-E-lee. But I can see people sort of running it together and it sounding more like Emily.

Whatever the case, no wonder no one can pronounce it. The spelling makes my eyes hurt.

• imagealyssaames:

imagespasticfantastic:
    M-E-Lee...  like saying "Emmy" and "Leigh" smooshed together, right?

That's what I was thinking.  

This is how I'd think of it too. But that, to me, is just a misspelling/pronunciation of Emily, so it doesn't surprise me that people got it "wrong". 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would have said it correctly, however... I don't think Emily is so off base and Emmyleigh is kind of silly. I blame the mom for giving her kid a dumb spelling.

• imagespasticfantastic:
    M-E-Lee...  like saying "Emmy" and "Leigh" smooshed together, right? This is how I read it
  • imageg8trkim:
    I would have said it correctly, however... I don't think Emily is so off base and Emmyleigh is kind of silly. I blame the mom for giving her kid a dumb spelling.

All of this. 

View Full Size Image 
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image

• imagelrachelle80:
    imageDr.Loretta:

Let me get this straight.

You got your knickers in a twist over someone else's child's name being mispronounced? In WalMart?

If I saw it, I'd say M-E-lee. But I can see people sort of running it together and it sounding more like Emily.

Whatever the case, no wonder no one can pronounce it. The spelling makes my eyes hurt.

No, I think she's saying that they spelled the kid's name Emmyleigh and were calling her Emily (the people WITH the baby) and she's irritated that people don't realize that Emmyleigh =/= Emily and that you can't just randomly put letters together and pretend that they sound how you want - that there are actually rules to pronunciation.  For instance, I know someone who wanted a unique spelling for Delaney and spelled it Daleny - that's not deh-LANE-ee anymore. I think that's what she's getting at. 

Yes! All of this. I saw all three women together on a few occasions in the store and ended up in line with them. All around my age. Late teens early 20's. I got my panties all twisted because its disregarding rules of pronunciation and making this kid have an unnesacarry hassle in her life. If you like Emily then name her Emily not emmyleigh. End rant.
    Anniversary

• imagelrachelle80:
    imageDr.Loretta:

No, I think she's saying that they spelled the kid's name Emmyleigh and were calling her Emily (the people WITH the baby) and she's irritated that people don't realize that Emmyleigh =/= Emily and that you can't just randomly put letters together and pretend that they sound how you want - that there are actually rules to pronunciation.  For instance, I know someone who wanted a unique spelling for Delaney and spelled it Daleny - that's not deh-LANE-ee anymore. I think that's what she's getting at. 

Ah. Because I was not getting this thread. 

I could totally see Emmyleigh being a youneek spelling of Emily.

• imagealyssaames:
    imagelrachelle80:
    imageDr.Loretta:

Yes! All of this. I saw all three women together on a few occasions in the store and ended up in line with them. All around my age. Late teens early 20's. I got my panties all twisted because its disregarding rules of pronunciation and making this kid have an unnesacarry hassle in her life. If you like Emily then name her Emily not emmyleigh. End rant.

I stand by my confusion about the rant. Em-mee-lee, Emily, not that different when said fast, and it sounds like they're the typical you-neek name family. With all the misspellings and mispronunciations, I can't muster the energy to get excited about this. That was MY point.

• imagethatoneredhead:
    imagelrachelle80:
    imageDr.Loretta:

Ah. Because I was not getting this thread. 

I could totally see Emmyleigh being a youneek spelling of Emily.

Me either. I didn't realize it was the people with the child who were pronouncing it Emily. Terrible.

• There are phonics rules for a reason. That spelling makes me sad. :(
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Is it Emily phonetically? No. Would I glance at it and assume that's what they are going for? Yes. 
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"