Baby Showers
Options

Work Shower

Sorry in advance if this has been asked.

So a few people from work got together and threw a small shower for me. It was very nice. They had brought in food and cake and a few people bought gifts. Apparently the shower was supposed to be the week prior but I had a doc appt and left early. So some co workers totally forgot that it was pushed back a week. My question is who do I write thank yous too? Everyone that was there whether or not a gift was given or just to those who gave a gift? One co worker said she is bringing in a gift this upcoming week. I am not sure who all made or brought food in so I wouldn't even know who to thank for that. I know that my 2 coworkers are most likely the ones who put everything together, they are also the ones who gave me a gift so obviously I will write them each a thank you. As far as everyone else I am at a loss.
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Work Shower

• Options
    I would write everyone a thank you regardless if they gave you a gift or not.  They still took time our of their work day to attend your shower. Just like at your wedding, you should write every guest a thank you for attending regardless of whether or not they gave a gift. 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Options
    KMck27KMck27 member
    Ok that's what I originally thought just wanted to hear it from someone else. Thank you!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would only write thank yous to those who gave gifts or helped put together the shower. A "thanks for coming" thank you note sounds kind of like "thanks for nothing- hint hint!" to me. If everyone pitched in to throw the shower, You could write thank yous to individuals who gave you gifts  plus a general thank you note to the staff for putting on the shindig, possibly accompanied by a tray of cookies or something to put in the break room.
  • Options
    KMck27KMck27 member
    That's a really good idea!! I like the generic thank you card to my coworkers plus cookies I might do a pretzel tray instead and specific thank yous to those who have a gift. I think that sounds like a better idea.
  • Options

imagejociejones:
    I would only write thank yous to those who gave gifts or helped put together the shower. A "thanks for coming" thank you note sounds kind of like "thanks for nothing- hint hint!" to me. If everyone pitched in to throw the shower, You could write thank yous to individuals who gave you gifts  plus a general thank you note to the staff for putting on the shindig, possibly accompanied by a tray of cookies or something to put in the break room.

This.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    atcwagatcwag member

I'm *sort of* in the same situation.  My work shower will be a "come if you can" event between my department (very small, less than 10 of us) and a department we work closely with that has 30+ people in it. 

Typically (only stating this because I've been a part of many of these events in the past for coworkers), one person sort of organizes the whole thing (makes reservations for group at local restaurant for lunch, collects $ for gift, gets a cake, etc.) and people RSVP via email as to whether they can come or not and then contribute to a gift if they desire.  The "head" person then takes whatever $ has been collected and purchases a gift, letting everyone know what gift has been purchased.

Because people may just come and celebrate and not contribute to the gift, or vice versa, it's impossible to know who to "thank" for each portion of the shower (other than the "head" person).  

Typically in my work group, the MTB writes one TY card addressed to "X Department" or an email sent to the entire department in order to thank everyone who attended and/or contributed to the gift.

I like the idea of writing a thank you and bringing in a snack for coworkers to share.  This wouldn't work in my work group as we're spread out over different locations, however I think if you're all in the same place, it's a good idea.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageatcwag:

I'm *sort of* in the same situation.  My work shower will be a "come if you can" event between my department (very small, less than 10 of us) and a department we work closely with that has 30+ people in it. 

Typically (only stating this because I've been a part of many of these events in the past for coworkers), one person sort of organizes the whole thing (makes reservations for group at local restaurant for lunch, collects $ for gift, gets a cake, etc.) and people RSVP via email as to whether they can come or not and then contribute to a gift if they desire.  The "head" person then takes whatever $ has been collected and purchases a gift, letting everyone know what gift has been purchased.

Because people may just come and celebrate and not contribute to the gift, or vice versa, it's impossible to know who to "thank" for each portion of the shower (other than the "head" person).  

Typically in my work group, the MTB writes one TY card addressed to "X Department" or an email sent to the entire department in order to thank everyone who attended and/or contributed to the gift.

I like the idea of writing a thank you and bringing in a snack for coworkers to share.  This wouldn't work in my work group as we're spread out over different locations, however I think if you're all in the same place, it's a good idea.

Mine is very similar to your situation, Im still not sure if i will send an email or individual notes...but i like the snack idea because most of the people that attended work in the same building.

• Options
    After my work threw me a baby shower I brought it some breakfast for everyone, muffins, drinks, fruit, etc and left a big thank you card for everyone by the breakfast. I also gave a few individual cards to those who organized it or gave me a gift.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog
  • Options
    We did a diaper shower for one of the guys at work. Someone went around and collected 5 bucks from whoever wanted to contribute and others brought snacks and cake. He wrote one card to the whole floor thanking everyone for coming to celebrate with him and that he appreciated all the diapers and hung it on the break room bulletin board.

Could you do something like that? I would still thank individual gift givers with a personal thank you note or group note if they went in together.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"