November 2013 Moms

How many ultrasounds?

Hello ladies! So I had an ultrasound at 21 weeks and my doctor said I won't get one/ need one till I'm 35 weeks? How would my doctor know everything will be okay till then? Is my baby growing? Fluid levels? Am I overreacting ?

Re: How many ultrasounds?

• I get one ultrasound which I had at 20 weeks. I won't have another one unless dr is concerned something is wrong. The doctor will start measuring your belly for growth and unless there are other signs that are concerning, the assumption is that all is going well. This is fairly standard although there can be some variation in how much monitoring is done.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • You will go in every two weeks til then. At those visits your Dr will measure your uterine growth and your weight gain. This will help make are your baby is growing. If you feel regular kicks, you will know baby is ok. You are definitely oeverreacting.

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • Loading the player...
  • imageequibabe611:
    You will go in every two weeks til then. At those visits your Dr will measure your uterine growth and your weight gain. This will help make are your baby is growing. If you feel regular kicks, you will know baby is ok. You are definitely oeverreacting.

This. I had my anatomy scan at 18 weeks 4 days. At 22 weeks 4 days, they measured my uterus and it was 2 weeks ahead. They have decided to do another U/S to make sure baby is ok. Due to my history, I most likely have polyhydraminos, again. They discovered it the same way first time around. My measurements were off. 

They know when there are signs of problems without ultrasounds. U/S were not even routine until around the mid 90s. My mom never had a single U/S with my brother. The only reason she had them with me was because they had found non cancerous tumors in her uterus prior to her pregnancy. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had one at every appt (9 w, 11w, 13w, 16w, 20w) to monitor growth and because there's a U/S machine at my doc's office so it's convenient for my doc to check on the baby if he wants to.

At my last appt, the 20w A/S, he told me that would be the last one and that we would start doing the measurements and listen to the heartbeat using the doppler going forward unless there are issues late in the pregnancy.

So, yeah, sounds like you're normal. :)

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had 1 at 19 weeks and have two more scheduled. One bc I am participating in a research study in which I get one at each visit and the other because my placenta was partially covering my cervix at my 19 wk scan so they want to make sure it had moved around 30-32 wks. If it wasn't for those things I don't think I would have anymore
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QstonQston member

As far as I understand my A/S at 20 weeks was my (3rd and) last, like PP said. I'd listen to the recos of your docs, if they are concerned about something, they will take the necessary measures to keep both you and LO safe.

And yes, our appointments get closer and closer together as we go on, so they are keeping closer tabs on the progress. Try to relax and trust in your doctor, or, if you don't trust your doctor now, go find one with whom you feel absolutely comfortable.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I've been with three practices (one last pregnancy, started with midwives this pregnancy and had to switch to another when we found out it was twins). For all three the standard was one ultrasound the entire pregnancy--the 20 week a/s. I know a lot of OBs will often do an earlier one too. But as far as I know unless you're high risk, it isn't standard to do another ultrasound after the a/s. Every appointment they will be measuring your uterus, and if something seems off they will order another u/s. :) 

(Of course I am having twins this time round and they are automatically considered high risk for things like slow growth, so my u/s schedule looks a bit different for this pregnancy.) 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image
  • I'm going to do a 3D u/s in a few weeks just so I see my LO again, I hate the wait, I won't be getting another u/s either.
  • I'm 21 weeks and I've had 4 so far. I got pregnant with an iud in so my dr just likes to get a peek every so often to make sure the pregnancy the iud are far far away from each other, which they have continued to be. I will have another in 4 weeks again 4 weeks after that. But usually after anatomy scan that's it. Babies have been coming along just fine for hundreds of years without ultrasound. Just relax. Your body will give signs if something is wrong, but hopefully everything will be fine!
  • I get one every two weeks and its only because at my 20 wk appt they discovered I have a shortened cervix so I now see a high risk perinatologist. If I hadn't been switched to a perinatologist, I would have had one at 20 wks then again at 32 wks.
  • imagejacqgomar:
    I'm going to do a 3D u/s in a few weeks just so I see my LO again, I hate the wait, I won't be getting another u/s either.

This. If you are worried and just want to see the baby you can go get 3D ultrasounds. Other than that it's usually one or two at the doctors.

I had more this pregnancy but only when the doctor deemed them important. I was bleeding one time and had bad cramping so they did and ultrasound, and then I had an extra one early on [they usually do your first at 9 or 10 weeks but I did mine at 6 then another at 9 to 10 due to a previous loss.]
  • In my experience, it really depends on your doctor and if you have any complications. When I was still in California, I had one at each of the three appointments I went to with my OB. He said it was standard practice in his office because they have more women who wait a little longer to get pregnant, and he likes to watch them more closely. I also had two at the beginning of the pregnancy (shortly after my BFP) for really bad cramping, and several in the ER/L&D when my HG was at its worst to make sure the baby was okay...I think that was about 5 times.

At my doctor's in Iowa, they just do the standard 20 week A/S, so if I hadn't had the crazy quad screen, that would have been my last ultrasound, but I've had three more (two from the perinatologist and one from the ER) since then. My sister who also lives here has just had one, plus a private 3D scan, and my mom who went through her pregnancies here a well didn't have any.

So it really depends on a lot of different factors. Overall I've had 14...which is absolutely outrageous to me, and some people only have a handful or less.

• I have had 3 so far and am having another because LO's kidneys are slightly enlarged. Otherwise I wouldn't have anymore unless the dr was concerned for any reason. You are overreacting.
  • I'm high risk so I get one every 2 weeks until 28 weeks. Then every week until 34 weeks and then 2x a week until I delivery.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"