Stay at Home Moms

s/o movies - how old for theater?

What age do you think is the best age for the first movie theater experience?  My 2.5 yr old might be able to sit for 2 hrs and stare at the screen, but I doubt he would understand the plot, or that it's a good idea to let him watch screens for that long!  What age did you moms of older kids take yours to their first movie?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: s/o movies - how old for theater?

• For DS, 3 seemed to be the right age.  We want to take both of them to see some movies this summer but DD still doesn't sit for tv or movies (she is just 3), so we can't decide.
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • I took DD to a free summer matinee last summer and she did well. She was two.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We waited until after 3.  DS who is now 4 can now really enjoy and appreciate a movie.  
    April 2009
  • My kid can barely sit through one episode of YGG, which is the only thing he will watch. We went to go see YGG Live and it was difficult for him to sit for the full hour long show.

We MAY go see Planes when it comes out in August, but I don't expect that he'll sit through the whole thing.

• This may be flame worthy, but G has been to a couple movies.  I took him to Finding Nemo when it was re-released because I thought he would love how pretty it is.  He did great.  Just this week I took him to Turbo and he completely loved it.  He understood a lot and repeated his favorite lines after the movie.  He also enjoyed snuggling with us and sharing a cookie.  We went to a Cinetopia theatre where they have couches and serve dinner.  The theatre itself is small and cozy.  We all had a total blast.  I can't wait for Planes to come out because I know he will love that, too.

Since G and N are the same age, I would bet he might do better than you think! 

Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • DS is five and just went to see his first movie, Turbo. We've been meaning to take him for a while, but there just wasn't anything we wanted him to see.

I would think by 4 years old most kids can handle it.

• My two year old hardly watches TV at all but when my girls were 2 they could've sat through a movie. I guess it depends on the child.
  • DS went to a daytime, lights on showing of Winnie the Pooh last summer at 2. He did fairly well. He stood most of the time and walked in the area by the seat but didn't bother anyone. He asked to leave once but changed his mind.

This week is the first time I've taken him again and he's 3. He did well on Sunday at Despicable Me 2, but then wouldn't sit through Turbo later in the week. But I think it was because of the 3d. Or maybe he was movied out. He wanted to go play in the arcade.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, I just googled the Planes movie.  I hadn't heard of it yet.  We might have to try that one.  He's all about transportation! :)  And he's also one who cries when we turn off the TV.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We started bringing them at age 3.  We also noticed that they did the best at that age with movies that were about 90 minutes long.
  • We took ds for the first time a few weeks ago to see despicable me 2. He did great. On vacation we also went to see monsters university on a miserably hot day when we needed a break from the sun. We didn't have a sitter for dd so she came along. We expected the worst but she did really good and even laughed at appropriate moments so she kind of got it. 
  • imageamy052006:
    imagewife07mom09:
    I have not. The only time my 3.5 year old has watched more than 30 minutes of TV at a time was when she had her tonsils out a year ago.I cant imagine stting in a theater for 2 hours with a LO. nbsp;Personalyl Id rather go to a aprk or play. nbsp;I will probbly take mine when she is closer to 5 but even then we rarely go to movies.nbsp;
    You found us out! Anyone here who has taken their kid to a movie never goes to the park to play. Busted! It's 153467 degrees here and 8578 humidity. Right now, as much as I love the park, it's pretty much the last place on earth I want to be.

Yeah, 110 degree weather at 8am doesn't really scream park weather to me either.  We do a ton of other activities, but pretty sure one movie isn't going to ruin my kid for life.  Mine has certainly watched more than 30 min of TV. :)  That's probably flame worthy too, but between morning sickness and, later, a nursing newborn, thank god for Thomas the Train!

• I may take my oldest to see Planes (if we are on holidays then both will probably come - oh help) in August but that would be the first one she would be at and I have no idea how she would do.  Give her popcorn and she'll probably be good.  We don't go to the movies often so it would have to be a movie we really want to see to take the kids too.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• imagenonasimonsen:
    imagepitterpatter129:
    Well, I just googled the Planes movie.nbsp; I hadn't heard of it yet.nbsp; We might have to try that one.nbsp; He's all about transportation! :nbsp; And he's also one who cries when we turn off the TV. nbsp;
    I'm in aw that you haven't heard of Planes until now. They have been pushing it since last summer! It was supposed to release this last spring and they kept pushing the release date. I feel like I have watched the whole movie already since I have seen the trailer about 600 times. Lol!

Apparently my DH knew all about it! Big Smile  Maybe because we don't have cable?? I have no idea how I missed it, but it looks cute and I liked Cars!

• imagewife07mom09:
    imageamy052006:
    imagewife07mom09:
    I have not. The only time my 3.5 year old has watched more than 30 minutes of TV at a time was when she had her tonsils out a year ago.I cant imagine stting in a theater for 2 hours with a LO. nbsp;Personalyl Id rather go to a aprk or play. nbsp;I will probbly take mine when she is closer to 5 but even then we rarely go to movies.nbsp;
    You found us out! Anyone here who has taken their kid to a movie never goes to the park to play. Busted! It's 153467 degrees here and 8578 humidity. Right now, as much as I love the park, it's pretty much the last place on earth I want to be.
    I get it, is super hot here and can't be outside much I just usually find other activities. Nothing wrong with an occasional movie I just can't see taking mine to one for a while. I lurk here since I work part time stay home part time so maybe my situation is different t, my time with children is so limited I like doing things with them while little. I am sure though a movie will be in a our future in the next year but sheesh they are around here

theres probably no one who loves getting out and doing activities with the kids more than me-I find doing stuff outside of the home more enjoyable for both me and my children. I still think there's a place for an occasional movie. I think there's going to be four movies this year I would be interested in taking my kids to. At an hour and a half a movie, that's six hours of movie time a year. It's also an exciting, enjoyable experience for them-my kids as on my lap, laughed, etc. my son talks about it everyday what a good time he had.

i can understand not wanting to take your kids because you don't feel like they're ready to sit still and focus on something for 90ish minutes. Not going because you'll miss time with them is dumb. I'm admittedly fairly anti-electronics with young kids but avoiding a movie or two a summer is going way overboard IMO. 

• imageCountryMile:
    We waited until after 3.  DS who is now 4 can now really enjoy and appreciate a movie.  

Same for us.

Emily has been going to movie premieres since she was an infant BUT I can honestly say that until nearly 4yrs, she didn't really sit still, enjoy, nor appreciate the movie theater experience. Before 4yrs there was a LOT of wiggling, complaining/whining, getting in/out of seat, looking around at others instead of actually watching the movie. So, while she was well-behaved and could go to movies at a very young age, 4 yrs was the age for us where she really "got it". :)

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"