February 2013 Moms

Am I creating a bad habit?

Usually around 4ish I have to go in and flip DS who will have started army crawling, and then crying once he gets to the front of his crib. Also a couple of nights this week he was beginning to wake himself up every hour and I would find him with his legs high in the air going back and forth a mile a minute. On those nights I moved him into the RnP where he is somewhat restrained and then he'll sleep several hours uninterrupted. I would prefer to have him stay in the crib. I know he can! One night this week he slept 12 hours straight in it! But some nights and definitely for naps, I find that I am heavily relying on the RnP again because he cannot stop himself from rolling and trying to crawl. Should I try harder to get him to stay in the crib? Or should I cut the kid some slack while he's trying to work on this skill? I mean, I know he won't be sleeping in the RnP when he's in kindergarten...

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

Re: Am I creating a bad habit?

• Probably.

Bt my DS adjusts to things well.  So while it  would have created a bad habit with dd, he doesn't care when it changes.  So I guess I am saying it depends on the child.   And how much they like sleep.  Dd never sleeps, DS loves it, so that may be why he doesn't care.

i recently had to have hand surgery, and it left me using one arm, so instead of his crib, I had to move DS to the bouncy chair for bed.  He didnt have any trouble adjusting back to the crib after over 2 weeks out of it. 

• We've been dealing with the exact same thing (weird, huh? Stick out tongue). Jax has been rolling/army crawling all over the place then gets very mad when he can't go any further or roll back. He can roll back to belly and belly to back, but he can only roll left to right, so sometimes if he gets to the sides he can't get back. He was smacking his head on the sides of the crib trying to move. Two nights ago I had to go in three times to flip him, calm him down, and get him back to sleep. The next time it happened, no one was getting any sleep, and he was just so frustrated, we put him in bed with us. Last night was better, and he seemed to be able to negotiate the space without too much trouble.

I think it is something they have to work out, but when it gets to the point that sleep is being really compromised and it is going to set us up for a potentially bad day, I say do what you need to so he gets some rest. Jax has been in his crib for three months, I think it's well established that it's a sleep space now, so if he doesn't get in there a few times because he can't sleep, I don't think any permanent damage will be done. I suspect once they can crawl and get themselves out of these pickles, they'll be just fine! And maybe mine will start STTN lol!

• Loading the player...
  • imageDublinMama:

We've been dealing with the exact same thing (weird, huh? Stick out tongue). Jax has been rolling/army crawling all over the place then gets very mad when he can't go any further or roll back. He can roll back to belly and belly to back, but he can only roll left to right, so sometimes if he gets to the sides he can't get back. He was smacking his head on the sides of the crib trying to move. Two nights ago I had to go in three times to flip him, calm him down, and get him back to sleep. The next time it happened, no one was getting any sleep, and he was just so frustrated, we put him in bed with us. Last night was better, and he seemed to be able to negotiate the space without too much trouble.

I think it is something they have to work out, but when it gets to the point that sleep is being really compromised and it is going to set us up for a potentially bad day, I say do what you need to so he gets some rest. Jax has been in his crib for three months, I think it's well established that it's a sleep space now, so if he doesn't get in there a few times because he can't sleep, I don't think any permanent damage will be done. I suspect once they can crawl and get themselves out of these pickles, they'll be just fine! And maybe mine will start STTN lol!

That's so funny that Jax is doing the same thing! Rory also only rolls in one direction. Crazy kids. 

I agree - I think he just needs to work it out. He seems pretty flexible with sleep spaces, so I don't suspect it will be a horrible issue. He's been in his crib for a long time too - since about 10 weeks old so you're probably right that if he sleeps somewhere else for a couple nights it won't destroy him going back to the crib. 

I always worry he'll have a hard time with something and he usually ends up being pretty flexible. :P 

• imageholly321:

Probably.

Bt my DS adjusts to things well.  So while it  would have created a bad habit with dd, he doesn't care when it changes.  So I guess I am saying it depends on the child.   And how much they like sleep.  Dd never sleeps, DS loves it, so that may be why he doesn't care.

i recently had to have hand surgery, and it left me using one arm, so instead of his crib, I had to move DS to the bouncy chair for bed.  He didnt have any trouble adjusting back to the crib after over 2 weeks out of it. 

I think you're right about it depending on the kid. My little guy is pretty easy going too. When we went away for a couple of nights he didn't sleep in his crib and he had no trouble going back and forth. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"