LGBT Parenting

Vegetarians?

DW and I have one more cycle before we actively ttc with donor sperm. I am seeing an acupuncturist and chiropractor to help try in any way to increase our chances.

I'm a vegetarian and have been for just under a year. I feel as though I'm perfectly healthy, but my acupuncturist suggested that for "fertility" reasons, I should consider eating grass-fed, organic meat. DW and I tried it for dinner the other night and I have been in pain ever since. I did take digestive enzymes when I had dinner, too.

The question: Are any of you vegetarians? If so, have you been advised to increase the meat in your diet? What are your thoughts? 

TTC our first. Married to, and madly in love with, my beautiful wife. Living with our fur baby and enjoying 19 nieces and nephews. 
  • DW and I have been tracking, preparing, getting medical testing since January 2013.
  • First Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 08/02/13: BFN
  • Second Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 09/11/13, 09/13/13, 09/15/13: BFN
  • Third Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm: 10/13/13, 10/15/13, 10/17/13, 10/21/13: BFN
  • January 2014: Sonohysterogram shows excellent lining & tubes have no blockages
  • Fourth Cycle:  Monitored clomid cycle  w/ ICI's at home: 1/24/14 and 1/25/14. Ovulation verified:  BFN
  • Fifth Cycle: 02/2014 Femara 5mg with ovidrel trigger CD14: BFN
  • Taking a few months off to evaluate if we want to keep trying

Re: Vegetarians?

• Successfully pregnant vegan here! Was never told that by my acupuncturist, OB, midwife, or RE.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am vegetarian and have been supported by all my caregivers. The important thing is to get enough of the right nutrients in pregnancy - all of which can be found in non-meat and even vegan diets. Since being pregnant, I've made myself eat fish one time per week for omegas, but there are other sources for that too. I drink a protein shake every morning with kale and take my prenatals with it. I feel great!

You can do the research, but I don't think that eating meat "helps" with fertility. Getting enough of the right nutrients does. 

ETA: Keeping it to my own experience! I shouldn't be speaking for other vegetarians :-)

M&K met 8/2002 married 6/2012
    TTC with RE since March 2012
    3 missed O's, 6 IUIs = 1 BFP then 8 w M/C, 5 BFNs
    (2 unmedicated IUIs, 2 clomid IUI, 2 femara IUI)
    Shared maternity/partner IVF, transfer #1 BFP!
    EDD 11/28/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Not that this proves anything, but my wife and I took part in a meat CSA through a local farm for the entire year and a half I was TTC via IUI, so we were pretty much exclusively eating grass-fed, antibiotic-free, free-range meat (not because I was TTC, the timing is just coincidental).  Certainly didn't help ME get pregnant!
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First off, congratulations on your journey into parenthood. My wife didn't eat red meat for about 2yrs before IUI. Toward the end of our TWW, she called me from the grocery store saying that she keeps walking by the steaks and that she wanted to pan sear one and gnaw on it. I knew then that she was pregnant! She craved red meat for about 3 weeks and ate it during that time. Her body must have known what it needed.

Best wishes!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagelilweb2013:
    First off, congratulations on your journey into parenthood. My wife didn't eat red meat for about 2yrs before IUI. Toward the end of our TWW, she called me from the grocery store saying that she keeps walking by the steaks and that she wanted to pan sear one and gnaw on it. I knew then that she was pregnant! She craved red meat for about 3 weeks and ate it during that time. Her body must have known what it needed. Best wishes!!

That is too funny! A good friend of mine has been a vegetarian for years and as soon as she became pregnant, she craved hot dogs, haha!

I do figure that if I am craving it, I will try to eat it. I don't crave it now, but no guarantees 'when' I get pregnant! 

TTC our first. Married to, and madly in love with, my beautiful wife. Living with our fur baby and enjoying 19 nieces and nephews. 
    • DW and I have been tracking, preparing, getting medical testing since January 2013.
    • Second Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 09/11/13, 09/13/13, 09/15/13: BFN
    • Third Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm: 10/13/13, 10/15/13, 10/17/13, 10/21/13: BFN
    • January 2014: Sonohysterogram shows excellent lining & tubes have no blockages
    • Fourth Cycle:  Monitored clomid cycle  w/ ICI's at home: 1/24/14 and 1/25/14. Ovulation verified:  BFN

• imageATXmommas:
    Successfully pregnant vegan here! Was never told that by my acupuncturist, OB, midwife, or RE.

Good to know. Thank you!! 

• imagemollykelley:

I am vegetarian and have been supported by all my caregivers. The important thing is to get enough of the right nutrients in pregnancy - all of which can be found in non-meat and even vegan diets. Since being pregnant, I've made myself eat fish one time per week for omegas, but there are other sources for that too. I drink a protein shake every morning with kale and take my prenatals with it. I feel great!

You can do the research, but I don't think that eating meat "helps" with fertility. Getting enough of the right nutrients does. 

ETA: Keeping it to my own experience! I shouldn't be speaking for other vegetarians :-)

One thing I could never do is fish...I wish I could. I do take a prenatal with everything including DHA and have been for over a year. Hopefully that will help to keep things balanced. I would love your protein shake recipe. I usually juice the kale, but lately I don't have the time!  

• imageball.and.chain:
    Not that this proves anything, but my wife and I took part in a meat CSA through a local farm for the entire year and a half I was TTC via IUI, so we were pretty much exclusively eating grass-fed, antibiotic-free, free-range meat (not because I was TTC, the timing is just coincidental).  Certainly didn't help ME get pregnant!

I guess it just depends on the person. I gave it a shot and was so miserable that there is no way I can do it. I suppose if I spend months unable to conceive, I could try again, but I will cross that bridge when I get there. Wishing you the best! 

• Another successful, healthy, and happy pregnant vegan here. I was vegan for at least a year before TTC and got pregnant right away (which I don't credit to my diet alone, but when were were TTC the first time I was eating meat and did not get pregnant). I have been supported by everyone involved in my care (acupuncturist, naturopath, family practice doc, OB, and midwife). All my labs have come back with everything normal/great, including iron, etc. I am a researcher and a conscientious eater and have increased my protein, certain foods, and supplements with my pregnancy.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Met 07/07/05, Wedding 07/07/07, Legal Marriage Ceremony 12/9/12, Baby Boy Born 08/09/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just wanted to add my two cents... I am a vegetarian and was never told that I needed to consume meat.  But, my doc did have me decrease my intake of soy protein (meat substitute products) while TTC, due to some studies showing that soy protein can have effects on estrogen levels.  I thought it was pretty interesting. 
    Same sex couple, Married 8/6/11
    Baby Oliver born 11/27/13

TTC stats with donor sperm...
    IUI #1 with trigger, 1/4/13 - BFN
    IUI #2 with trigger, 2/1/13 BFN
    IUI #3 with tigger, 2/28/12 BFP EDD 11/21/13
  • imagemwagner25:
    I just wanted to add my two cents... I am a vegetarian and was never told that I needed to consume meat.  But, my doc did have me decrease my intake of soy protein (meat substitute products) while TTC, due to some studies showing that soy protein can have effects on estrogen levels.  I thought it was pretty interesting. 

I have reduced my soy intake by about 90%. I drink rice milk and my meat substitutes are made from a mushroom base, not soy. You're absolutely right about soy having estrogenic effects and messing with hormones. I'm staying away from that!  

• imageJoySeattle:
    Another successful, healthy, and happy pregnant vegan here. I was vegan for at least a year before TTC and got pregnant right away (which I don't credit to my diet alone, but when were were TTC the first time I was eating meat and did not get pregnant). I have been supported by everyone involved in my care (acupuncturist, naturopath, family practice doc, OB, and midwife). All my labs have come back with everything normal/great, including iron, etc. I am a researcher and a conscientious eater and have increased my protein, certain foods, and supplements with my pregnancy.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you! It is amazing what vitamins and minerals come from a plant strong diet. I tried vegan for 6 months and was successful, however, I really struggle with eliminating cheese. I've eliminated everything else that contains dairy (except the occasional ice cream). I wonder if a naturopath would be worth the cash? My acupuncturist has one at her office... 

• Thanks for this thread! I've been eating plant strong for 5 months, up until pregnancy. I felt great and committed to eating as healthy as possible while pg, but then the nausea hit. Now I eat whatever I crave, and it ain't veggies! : hopefully will get back on the wagon in the 2nd trimester. It's so hard!
  • imagecandimc26:
    Thanks for this thread! I've been eating plant strong for 5 months, up until pregnancy. I felt great and committed to eating as healthy as possible while pg, but then the nausea hit. Now I eat whatever I crave, and it ain't veggies! : hopefully will get back on the wagon in the 2nd trimester. It's so hard!

Yeah, I hear that happens when you get pregnant :) I had a friend who was vegetarian and as soon as she got pregnant, craved hot dogs!

We try to eat plant strong, and the only thing I struggle with is cheese...I'm sure pregnancy will change this!!

:) 

• I explained my difficulties to my acupuncturist and she said it was possible I was just destined to be a vegetarian :) She did suggest trying a homemade, organic chicken broth, so that might be in the cards. She seems pretty confident that it will help my chances of conceiving. I guess we'll see!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"