June 2013 Moms

I need more hands!!

Anyone else feel they need six hands to breastfeed? I know we aren't even two weeks into it yet, but I was hoping to be better at this by now. The lactation consultant helped with latch. Correct latch hasn't been an issue... Getting her to calm down long enough to latch initially is a PITA.

According to the LC, I need to hold her head and my breast to get a correct latch... Also I'm supposed to hold her hands out of her mouth, prevent my breast from blocking her nose, and keep a cold rag on hand to keep her awake... The rag doesn't work BTW... It just makes her mad enough to break the latch.

And if I hear, " A correct latch shouldn't hurt" one more time, someone is getting kicked in the knee caps.

I just feel like I'm doing everything wrong. I have no intentions of stopping especially since LO is eating great and growing. But I've had three tearful breakdowns today trying to get her to calm down and just latch on... Maybe it is just a rough day. Thanks for letting me vent!

ETA: Someone please tell me my nipples won't be this sore forever!!

Re: I need more hands!!

• Yes! To everything you said!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagedeejohn2012:
    Anyone else feel they need six hands to breastfeed? I know we aren't even two weeks into it yet, but I was hoping to be better at this by now. The lactation consultant helped with latch. Correct latch hasn't been an issue... Getting her to calm down long enough to latch initially is a PITA. According to the LC, I need to hold her head and my breast to get a correct latch... Also I'm supposed to hold her hands out of her mouth, prevent my breast from blocking her nose, and keep a cold rag on hand to keep her awake... The rag doesn't work BTW... It just makes her mad enough to break the latch. And if I hear, " A correct latch shouldn't hurt" one more time, someone is getting kicked in the knee caps. I just feel like I'm doing everything wrong. I have no intentions of stopping especially since LO is eating great and growing. But I've had three tearful breakdowns today trying to get her to calm down and just latch on... Maybe it is just a rough day. Thanks for letting me vent! ETA: Someone please tell me my nipples won't be this sore forever!!

sorry you are having a rough time with bfing. It does get easier, and no- your nips won't be sore forever.......as long as lo is latching correctly. They will remain sore- if she doesn't latch on right. A correct latch, in fact won't hurt (unless your nips are already sore.) ((blocking knee caps)) Also, your lo can feel you tensed up and that may be the reason why she wasn't calm enough to latch on right. It takes some time to learn to bf, for you and your lo. What helped me when I was learning how, I sat in a quiet room, with just me and my lo and I was cool, calm and collected. Try not to tense up, and just know that it will get easier! Don't quite, because I know it sounds easier, and more appealing at times, but keep to it, and you, and your baby will get the hang of it.

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you for the laugh!! I only laugh because it's so true and perfectly illustrated!
  • I know the feeling! It does get easier, I don't always have to hold her head anymore which frees up a hand.
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Do not worry about your breast blocking your baby's nose. There is a channel of air created between the baby's face and your breast, even if your breasts are very large. And even if your baby couldn't breathe for some reason, LO would pop off or turn their head. Anyway, it does get easier! LO will do most of the work in a few more weeks.
    photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • It will get easier!! And although a correct latch shouldn't hurt, no one said it was comfortable!! It takes a while to get used to it and frankly for your nips to toughen up. Keep trying. You will get there and soon breastfeeding will be easy and even an enjoyable bonding moment. People told me that at the beginning and I didn't believe them but  it's true
              image image

• My LO also likes to flail her arms quite a bit. Sometimes if its really bad I try to trap the near arm under my boob so I have a clear path to her mouth. She generally calms down once she gets food. I have also been getting better at catching the first cues that she's getting hungry so she doesn't get as worked up before I feed her.
    Try gel soothies or an ice pack for sore nips.
  • have you tried a boppy or other breasfeeding pillow? I just lay LO across then kinda dip her down so her tummy is against mine, latch (with nipple shield because otherwise she wont latch), then I am hands free...

image image

• I can totally relate. I may preach this a lot on here but White Noise is a life saver!!! I use it to calm her down sometimes so she will stop moving her arms and head so much. I have an app on my phone so i can use it anywhere. Also I nurse lying down a lot. The bed is holding her so I don't have to do as much. Have you tried lying down?
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nipple shells not shields will change your life. I truly think I may have quit BF had I not started using them. I have Madela ones and basically it's a plastic cup that goes over your nipple/areola and has a flexible plastic back to it so that it's comfortable against your breast. This keeps your super sore and sensitive nipples from rubbing against your bra or shirt or whatever. I've also noticed that they push both my nipple and a larger amount of the areola out just while wearing them so if I take it off right before BF my LO instantly gets a great latch that's 99 PAIN FREE. yes, it's possible I swear! These have been life changing for me and I'm not exaggerating. I highly suggest you get some. As far as needing three hands I can't help you there. I'm in the same boat lol. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"