August 2011 Moms
Options

Babies left in cars

This morning I read a story about another baby who was accidentally left in a car and died. Mom had forgot to drop her off at daycare and went to work with her 1 year old still in her car seat. Sadly the baby passed. I hate reading these types of stories :(

But the most horrible part of the story was the comments section. Every single person was saying the mother clearly needed an IQ test in order to be allowed to have a child, that she was probably on drugs, that she deserved the death sentence, that they hoped her husband divorced her for her negligence.

I get that there ARE negligent parents out there, but maybe it's not up to us to wish horrible things on people. I can TOTALLY see how a busy parent, NOT a bad parent, but a distracted one could forget the baby in the car. I've never accidentally left DD but I can see how it could happen. And I have a high IQ, I'm not on drugs, I'm not a lazy parent that does things for my own convenience, but I know that if I were distracted I could make the same horrible mistake. I think most parents TRY really hard, and are still judged by society as being "bad" all the time.

This might be an UO, but maybe we should be more supportive of other parents. Friendly reminders to check the back seat should be a frequently used PSA in the summer months. I think that would be a lot more productive than wishing tragic outcomes on already stressed people.

Also: I think someone should distribute key chains or air fresheners or SOMETHING that people can see in their car to REMIND them to ALWAYS check the back seat.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Babies left in cars

• Options
    Geez, this turned out long.

Sorry ladies, this has been on my mind all morning.
  • Options
    imageCrash Into Me:

This type of thing was heavily discussed on another board I visit not too long ago and most of the moms blamed this type of thing on being on auto-pilot-as in, how many times do you find yourself arriving at your destination and not remembering really paying attention to going there? Same thing with parents switching duties-like mom taking the baby for the morning drop off when dad normally does it.

A few posters admitted that they always put their purse in the backseat or use a stuffed animal in/out of the car seat to remind them about a child being back there.

I seem to have the opposite problem. I'm so used to having DD with me that I'll pull up to a store, go to grab her out of her seat, and she's not there. 

I think this type of accident is absolutely tragic and it is the ultimate sacrifice for a moment of forgetfulness. These parents have to live with this for the rest of their lives. It's not ice cream, you can't just grab another one the next time you're at the store. I have nothing but sympathy for these parents.

One more thing-I make it a point to glance in cars as I'm walking through parking lots. Not long enough to be creepy, but enough to see if there's a car seat and make sure it is empty.

I agree with you 100%
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It just takes a moment of distraction or exhaustion for something terrible to happen. These precious little ones are irreplaceable, and I can't imagine the guilt that mom must feel, or the pain.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I agree with both of you.  My cousins wife went on a facebook rant about this, calling parents stupid, etc.  I kept my fingers off the keyboard and didn't respond, because I don't think it would get through anyway.

My heart breaks for these parents.  I can totally see how it could happen and it scares me.  Now with DS here I'm worried that I'll grab DD out of the truck and forget him.  I've taken to leaving the driver's side door open when we get home until both kids are out.  Doing that reminds me that I forgot something and makes me take that extra second to think about locking the doors.  It's a silly reminder, but it's something. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The article "Fatal Distraction" was a serious eyeopener.I haven't had anyone on my FB say anything attacking parents yet but I plan to link it if I do.
    It's a heartbreaking read but it's so very informative
  • Options

imageCootieQueen170:
    The article "Fatal Distraction" was a serious eyeopener.I haven't had anyone on my FB say anything attacking parents yet but I plan to link it if I do. It's a heartbreaking read but it's so very informative

Yes!  Read it for sure if you haven't. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageStefandTodd:

imageCootieQueen170:
    The article "Fatal Distraction" was a serious eyeopener.I haven't had anyone on my FB say anything attacking parents yet but I plan to link it if I do. It's a heartbreaking read but it's so very informative

Yes!  Read it for sure if you haven't. 

Read it during a 4:00 a.m. feeding, and then couldn't get back to sleep because my mind was reeling.  Thanks for the recc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"