August 2012 Moms

F'n Tampons!

TMI warning

I've always been a pads kinda girl. I've tried tampons a few times in my life and I've never been able to figure them out. Today, my family is going to the waterslides and of course my period comes 2 days before, so I figure, I wanna go in the water with my baby, so I'll try this tampon thing again. One of my friends have me a few of hers and told me what to do. Now I'm sitting here sobbing because I've tried with 2 and ended up either not getting them far enough in or just plain did it wrong and the whole thing came out both times. My friend even called to try to coach me through it. I'm done. I'm all emotional because now I won't be able to go in the water with my kid and will miss all the fun. I'm going to have to sit and watch everything because of a mother f'n tampon. This is one of those times when being a girl sucks hard.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: F'n Tampons!

• amaiteamaite member
    I'm sorry. That stinks. Is there a wading pool you could stand in? Can you reschedule?
  • Oh no! I'm a pads girl too. AF came right before our beach trip earlier this week. It took me a couple tries to get it. I felt like and idiot.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Loading the player...
  • MM. Let me tell you a little story.

When I was 15 I went to summer camp. Everyone was swimming and I had my period and had NO IDEA how to put a tampon in. Yes, true story.

So my friend, bless her heart, stood outside the stall and coached me. When I ended up in tears, she actually came in and SHOWED me how to do it. She wins for greatest person ever.

I TOTALLY know how you feel. I am so sorry.

My best advice is to go buy the kind with a plastic applicator. The cardboard ones still get stuck going up in me at times. Plastic slides right in

Also what Ambsies said. Push the applicator as far up as you can before you push the tampon in.
  • imageAmbsies:
    That really sucks.nbsp; I'm sorry that your stupid period is ruining your fun.I actually went and looked on YouTube to see if there were some videos for you... sure enough there are a couple.nbsp; Maybe look at those?nbsp; It sounds like you're not putting the applicator in far enough.nbsp; TMI but I push the applicator all the way up until my fingers that are on the "grip" part are actually touching my bits, then push in the plunger with your other hand.nbsp; Don't pull out the applicator until the plunger part is pushed all the way in, that way you don't pull on the tampon when pulling out the applicator.nbsp; I'm sure you've already tried everything... just trying to help so your day isn't ruined :

This is how I do it too. You have to keep pushing the applicator in otherwise it tries to push it back out. That might not make sense but once it's inserted and you go to push the plunger part in keep resistance on the applicator so it doesn't come back out. Good luck. AF sucks.
  • Also, is your period heavy? I feel like when mine is light I'm really dry down there and it makes it harder to get them in, especially cardboard applicatiors. The wetter it is, the easier. Gross, but true. Sorry if that's TMI!
  • imageAmbsies:

imageJnmac83:
    Push the applicator as far up as you can before you push the tampon in.

This chick is beyond obnoxious but she describes what I'm talking about:
    https://youtu.be/XNP0qhBdfHI?t=8m9s

Lol. I just watched. She is annoying. Why does she remind me of JLo sometimes? Her voice? Or mannerisms?
  • I might have to get the lube. I'm using the Tampax little plastic ones, my period is heavy, on the second day, and it just won't go in any further. I've relaxed, I've tried standing with one foot on the toilet and lying down. I can't reschedule because its my dad's company picnic party. I'm so angry!
  • Oh Honey!  I'm so sorry!  I felt like this when I tried a diaphram for like ONE freaking sexcapade.  ::shudder::

I hate tampons, too.  I wish I had some advice for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagemmdailey:
    I might have to get the lube. I'm using the Tampax little plastic ones, my period is heavy, on the second day, and it just won't go in any further. I've relaxed, I've tried standing with one foot on the toilet and lying down. I can't reschedule because its my dad's company picnic party. I'm so angry!

This may sound stupid and obvious but you did pull the plunger out before inserting? Not all the way out but its pushed in when you first unwrap it. That's what I did wrong the other day.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • The first time i tried to use Tampons, no one explained crap to me . . . lets just say it was very very humiliating and embarassing . . . fast foward. . .  

The first time I tried I didn't understand that the tampon had three peices. I thought it was the cotton part and the applicator but turns out the applicator is two fold.  I suggest opening one and playing with it in your hands first.   You have to push the skinny part up towards your lady parts and that slides the cotton part out of the applicator and the skinny part ends up in the wider part of the applicator.   Pull the applicator down gently and done.

In all seriousness, got to CVS and buy a big box on your way.  If nothing else you can try when you get there in your hands and if you don't feel more comfortable then find a shallow pool.  

Also, you might want try the OB brand, I don't think they have applicators and are very small.   My good friend used these and found them more comfortable for her as she had a hard time with the applicators.    

BabyFruit Ticker

• The only advice I can give is don't try to put it straight up, kind of go at an angle towards your back.   I remember the first time I tried to put one in we were on a family weekend at the beach.  I got my period.  My aunt tried to guide me through it through the door, but no such luck.  I couldn't get it for the life of me!!  One day it just clicked. 

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

• I second the ob brand. It's easier to know where to direct it if you take the applicator out of the equation. Try standing with one foot on the toilet seat. That makes it easier.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Dude, you can do this. I have faith in you.

Kind of squat just a little, like almost in a chair pose, and push the applicator in towards your back [not straight up]. If the tampon isn't in far enough, you can use your fingers to push it in to where it's comfortable. Just make sure your hands are clean.
  • imagelatnprincess:
    The only advice I can give is don't try to put it straight up, kind of go at an angle towards your back.nbsp;nbsp; I remember the first time I tried to put one in we were on a family weekend at the beach.nbsp; I got my period.nbsp; My aunt tried to guide me through it through the door, but no such luck.nbsp; I couldn't get it for the life of me!!nbsp; One day it just clicked.nbsp;

This. Literally mine click into place once I push past a certain point at an angle. I was a tampon hold out too for the longest time. I don't recommend OB, I had major struggles without an applicator. Crying, throwing things. OB is dead to me. Tampax Pearl ftw!!

• ccamccam member

What absorbency are you using - super, extra super??  Some of those are really big, might want to try with a light or regular to get the hang of it.  I like the Tampax Pearl or the generic equivalent. 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• imageccam:
    What absorbency are you using super, extra super??nbsp; Some of those are really big, might want to try with a light or regular to get the hang of it.nbsp; I like the Tampax Pearl or the generic equivalent.nbsp;
    Yeah yeah, this too. I can only use the regular absorbency.
  • imageMedhp00:
    I'm also a pads kinda girl. I went to the lake a few summers ago and started my period the morning of our trip. I was determined to get into the water so I went to the store and bought tampons after doing online research. Yes...I'm paranoid about TSS and many other tampon related stories that may be urban myths. Anyhow...it took practice but I bought the ones that had an applicator thing. I got it up there as far as I could and pressed the applicator at the bottom and it was in....it also took my about three tampons to get it in far enough. Here's where it gets funny though. I was constantly obsessing about the string, we were at the lake o I thought I would get some lake bacteria on the string that would go up my vag. I also felt it up there. I did et to swim though!  

True story. Pretty sure I had TSS. Didn't know it at the time, as it was pre-webmd, but looking back, definitely think it was TSS.

MM, I hope you figure this thing out! I am so bummed for you!

• imageBaker_Bride:
    I second the ob brand. It's easier to know where to direct it if you take the applicator out of the equation. Try standing with one foot on the toilet seat. That makes it easier.

Ya totally forget the applicator. If you don't have any without it, my sister just takes the tampon out and throws away the applicator. It is easier to push the damn thing in with your finger.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• MMD I hope that you figured it out. however, I am glad I am not the only person who had no idea how to use a tampon at first.  I also feel better that I am not alone in leaving the applicator in!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I loathe tampons!!!!!!!!!!  I went swimming twice this week with AF.  The only thing that works for me are the tampax light days.  They are tiny and are the only ones I can get in right.

• I'm at the park now. I didn't get it in. Baby and I sat on the outside of the baby pool and she just screamed because she hated the water. My mom offered to take her, so I could go get wet, but that's kinda pointless. So now, we're just people watching. I'll try again when I get home and report back! Haha! What a mess!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"