Working Moms

Night time care rates

I recently met someone who works nights and is in a major bind to find suitable care for her infant. We've recently had some financial setbacks, so I'm trying to find a way to make more money. I'm considering provding overnight child care for a 4 month old in my home in a low-mid cost living area. I would be taking care of the baby along with my 2 children during mostly sleeping hours approx. 8:30pm-6:30am. I have many years of child care experience (nanny, au pair, infant/toddler teacher) and I'm an elementary teacher who is currently on maternity leave. The job would be 5 nights per week. What do you think would be a fair weekly rate?

Re: Night time care rates

• That honestly sounds like a lot of work! Does the baby STTN? I can see it working out ok while you are on maternity leave, but then you'll be taking care of 2 babies through the night. I'm not sure what a fair rate would be in your area, what does a daytime nanny run?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • mle929mle929 member
    Nannies charge 12 to 15 dollars per hour here to go to the child's home. In home daycares charge 150 dollars per wk. I was thinking of charging 6075 per night.

• Loading the player...
  • mle929mle929 member
    Bfp ...that should say 60 to 75 dollars.

• I have no idea what's "standard" but I think that sounds reasonable. 

I also think it sounds doable.  Parents of twins handle two babies at night.

I would just be really clear with her about expectations on sleep training, frequency of night feedings, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • How much does she make? If she's being paid $10 an hour-- totally not worth it to pay you $60 a night. If in home daycares are $150 a week...and you'll be watching her child during sleeping hours...$150/wk seems like the top of what you should be charging.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I think that you would have to charge the rate for in home daycare. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ss+elss+el member

I agree with the pps who say to charge the going inhome rate for your area and hope the babies don't alternate waking up every two hours. ;)

The only thing that actually concerns me is if you are on paid maternity leave, you could jeopardize your STD pay.

• mle929mle929 member
    imagess+el:

I agree with the pps who say to charge the going inhome rate for your area and hope the babies don't alternate waking up every two hours. ;)

The only thing that actually concerns me is if you are on paid maternity leave, you could jeopardize your STD pay.

• mle929mle929 member
    imagessel:
    I agree with the pps who say to charge the going inhome rate for your area and hope the babies don't alternate waking up every two hours. ; The only thing that actually concerns me is if you are on paid maternity leave, you could jeopardize your STD pay.
    Technically I'm on unpaid leave.

• It would totally depend on how well the baby sleeps. Also, if this is more of a short-term favor for someone in a bind I probably wouldn't charge the going rate. $60-$75 might be "fair" but I know I couldn't afford that and I do alright. I pay about $40/day for 7:30am -5:30PM.

I assume it is short-term and based on what you said you would be going back to work in 6-8 weeks, right? That's when school starts back up. Or are you thinking of continuing to do this when you go back to work. It might not be so bad even if you did. The baby would be around 6 months then and maybe ya'll can agree on sleep training, if necessary.

• imageljanette85:
    I think that you would have to charge the rate for in home daycare. 

I was going to say this, also. It would be doable.
    photo 9de7615e-e1c7-4dc7-be37-5cc4c9e4e703_zpse37bbba7.jpg AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I think your 60-75 is really high.  I don't pay that much for at a center and DD is awake most of the day!

I would think $25-30 a night, since hopefully the baby will be asleep.  You're getting paid while you sleep, its not a bad deal.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejnealet:

I think your 60-75 is really high.  I don't pay that much for at a center and DD is awake most of the day!

I would think $25-30 a night, since hopefully the baby will be asleep.  You're getting paid while you sleep, its not a bad deal.

I agree.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I think it depends on your friends situation, how this baby sleeps, what the going rate is, etc. I don't think its unreasonable to charge what a normal center would charge, especially if this baby does not STTN (4 month wakeful, anyone?). If its a low/mid COL area, I would think $40-50 a night is reasonable.
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • I looked into a night nanny at one point and found that nighttime rates actually were higher than daytime rates...usually by quite a bit!  Of course, I guess this is a little different if she is bringing the kids to your house but still...after hours care of anytime tends to be higher.  I guess it also depends on whether the baby is STTN. 
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"