November 2013 Moms

Pacifier.

Have any of you ladies decided not to use it are thinking about not using a pacifier? What about you STMs? What is your experience? Have you not used or tried not to use one? I'm really thinking about not using one and was wondering what everyone thinks.
Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pacifier.

• I think every baby is different and what someone else does w/ their kid really doesn't matter compared to what you choose to do with yours.

Some babies like them, others hate them. Same with their moms -- some women hate them, others love them.

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • imageDebateThis:

I think every baby is different and what someone else does w/ their kid really doesn't matter compared to what you choose to do with yours.

Some babies like them, others hate them. Same with their moms -- some women hate them, others love them.

Yep!  DS loved his paci in the hospital. I even took a picture of it and sent it to my mom and had her buy some just like it.  Brought him home, he wanted nothing to do with any of them. 

In memory of Corbin Scott 10/28/11-12/3/11. Heaven got another angel the night you left this world behind Heaven got a little better the day it took you away from me Missing you tonight, see you again sometime For now I'll close my eyes and dream of heaven tonight I'll love you forever I'll like you for always Now and Forever My baby you'll be

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

corbinsmommy.blogspot.com

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I understand that babies and mothers are different. I'm doing research and plan to play by ear whey my baby wants and needs. I was just curious about others are thinking, planing, and what they have done.
    Anniversary

• Been pondering this one myself. I'm a speech language pathologist (in a few months), and the research in terms of what these type devices (including bottles) do to the dentition and palate is clear. It's really not good for a baby's mouth.

But on the other hand, pacifiers seem to really reduce the risk of SIDS, which is way scarier than having crooked teeth.

I think for me, it will just come down to whether or not my baby wants one. My brother loved his and didn't get rid of it till he was 2. My niece wants nothing to do with it and spits it out immediately.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
    N '13 November Siggy Challenge- Baby Pictures

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I used it off and on with DS. When I decided to ditch it completely, It took a couple days of not using it as a crutch, but both myself and DS got used to it being gone fairly easily.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • STM here and DD wouldn't take one in the beginning. I was BF and basically became her pacifier. I made the mistake though of keeping them and freezing them to help with teething. Sounds great right?!? Nope . . . She was a late teether so at 18 month she decided to become attached to her pacifier. We are still battling trying to get it away.
  • Semi ftm here... Ftm or stm is complicated lol don't ask. But I got the gumdrop brand pacifiers and I will offer them to LO and see if she wants it!
  • I bought a pack of two pacifiers and hope to keep it to the two. I got ones that are "as close to nature" as possible, since I will be breastfeeding, and that will hopefully help with nipple confusion. I just don't want everyone shoving it her mouth every time she cries rather than trying to find out why she's crying. It also lowers the risk of SIDS.

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • I agree with PPs - it depends on the baby.  I'm a STM, DS1 didn't want one.  We had bought several to have on hand "just in case", but he would always spit them out.  The lactation consultant I worked with for DS1 didn't feel a paci would interfere with BF as long as BF was established (like after 3 weeks).    We plan on having a few ready just in case for DS2.  I personally didn't view it was a way to help prevent SIDS (although I know it lowers the risk), but more of a way for baby to soothe.  Do what feels right for you and for your baby.

• Thank you all for your opinions!
    Anniversary

• We used one with our son. We ended up taking it away at 7 1/2 months and it was a very potholed transition for us. Not sure how it'll be this time around.
  • Sorry smooth transition...
  • imagemelisx33:

I don't want to use them, I personally feel they are not necessary. 

I also hear it can reduce SIDS, however, so does breastfeeding, not using crib bumpers and having baby sleep in the same room as the Mother. Not all Mothers do all of those things either. 

It's a personal preference. 

Same, I really would rather not use one. Especially since on a daily basis (at work) I see children at 2 and 3 still sucking on them religiously. I think it's gross. 

BLAD reppin'

• imageamberrrjade:
    imagemelisx33:
    Same, I really would rather not use one. Especially since on a daily basis at work I see children at 2 and 3 still sucking on them religiously. I think it's gross.nbsp;

This! I think that is was got me thinking. I new a girl who was almost 5 and still constantly had one in her mouth. Honestly I think it kind of scared me. But also it's the parents at that point anyway. Also I don't want my MIL or someone giving my daughter one when I'm trying to break the habit, and knowing her that's what'll happen.
    Anniversary

• I used a pacifier with my DD and I will be doing it again. They come in handy and well, you're the parent so they can be gone whenever you choose!
  • imageMannaPants:
    Been pondering this one myself. I'm a speech language pathologist (in a few months), and the research in terms of what these type devices (including bottles) do to the dentition and palate is clear. It's really not good for a baby's mouth.

But on the other hand, pacifiers seem to really reduce the risk of SIDS, which is way scarier than having crooked teeth.

I think for me, it will just come down to whether or not my baby wants one. My brother loved his and didn't get rid of it till he was 2. My niece wants nothing to do with it and spits it out immediately.

Also an SLP and it is important to mention that the research is more about extended pacifier use as in years, not months and the fact that infants have a biological need to suck (called non-nutritive sucking) in between feeds and will find a way to do so whether it is sucking on their fingers or a pacifier.  Sucking a thumb can cause the same type of palate and dentition issues to arise.

• As stated by other posters it really depends on the baby. DD used a pacifier. We transitioned it to just naps and bedtime at 6 months and then stopped completely by 2. I BF and the paci had no impact on it. DD has also been to the dentist and they see no issues with her teeth. Personally, I preferred her using the pacifier vs her self soothing sucking her thumb. The paci you can physically take away and control use. Thumb sucking not so much.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• imageWoodsie:
    Before having DS, I had hoped not to need them. The only reason was that I didn't want to have to break the habit later on. I was also a little worried about nipple confusion, but not overly so.
    DS liked his pacifier for the first few weeks, and then refused it for a while. Then, something happened and I couldn't get him to sleep or stop crying, so I tried the pacifier again and he latched on like a drowning man clings to a raft. It was actually kind of comical how instant it soothed him. It was exactly what he needed to help sooth himself to sleep.
    I honestly don't see the big deal about babies using pacifiers. I think that it soothes babies who like them, and that's a win for everyone. If it helps your baby sleep or feel more comfortable while teething, why not?
    I think there is an age where the child probably doesn't need to be soothed throughout the day, and when constantly having a pacifier in his/her mouth could possibly interfere with speech development. At that point I would start to limit pacifier use to just sleep or emergencies.
    At 20 months, DS1 still uses a pacifier, but just for sleep. He'll outgrow it eventually, and I'm not worried about it. It also has not interfered with his speech at all. He has a good vocabulary and speaks in full sentences much of the time.
    Bottom line is, if your baby wants one, use it, it's NBD and is worth it for sleep and sanity.

Agreed.
  • Agree with pp. my kids loved them but had to be done by two years old. You can take away pacifiers but not thumbs! My little brother was a thumb and index finger sucker and it jacked his teeth and speech. My boys used it at night as a soothing tool.
    Needed, no...but maybe not the worst thing to happen to babies?!
  • I had no idea what to expect with DD, but it turned out that she really liked the pacifier. So we used it. By the time she was around 9 months, she was using it only in the crib. She still uses it now, but I don't really have a huge issue with it since it is only for sleep, and she knows that it is not allowed to leave her room. DS will be born with a cleft lip and potential cleft palate, so we are unsure whether he will even be able to use one, let alone want one. But if he can, and wants it, then we will proceed the same way we did with DD.
  • We tried them with DS ad he took them for a few weeks and never looked back. I'll offer them again this time but I'm against using them past a year for anything other than sleep. I truly believe it can affect speech delays at that point.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"