Stay at Home Moms

eating with a fork

for mobiles: eating with a fork.

How old was your LO when they consistently used the fork? spoon?

I have been giving DS the fork for the longest time.  He will eat off of it when we put food on it for him, but never attempts to stab at the food himself.  He definitely prefers eating with his hands.

Any advice on how to get him to eat with it?  The spoon he will do ok with, but he's just done yogurt and pudding, which is pretty easy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: eating with a fork

• DS still uses his fingers a lot, but easily uses a spoon, especially when it's necessary.  He's only recently really become proficient with the fork.  For the longest time he just struggled with stabbing things properly, I guess.  

I think he started regularly using a spoon at like 18mo or so.  But, like I said, he still uses his fingers a lot.  Like, he just had cut up cheese, cucumber, and honeydew for lunch.  He ate it all with his fingers.   

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • DS was two in may and he just started to get better at using a fork and a spoon. Like you, I was worried for a while because he had no interest but we just kept trying and he is not getting the hang of it. He is also starting the phase where he wants to do everything by himself so I think that's part of it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know what age really, but one thing that helped was using metal pronged forks. The plastic ones are dull and useless.

• I started giving DS his own spoon when he was around 6m old bc he would take mine. Once he was around one I would give him a fork as well. He has the spoon down really well but the fork he struggles with sometimes. He knows how to poke/stab the food and get it to his mouth, but would prefer to use his hands sometimes. I would say just keep offering it and putting the fork out when he is eating.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • DD can use a spoon like a champ and a fork pretty well but most of the time she just prefers eating with her hands. She's not quite 2 yet.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"