Baby Names

Zoe or Zoey

We are considering naming our new baby Zoe.  I really like the spelling without the "y" at the end... but DD already has a three-letter name, and we don't know if that'll look weird, two siblings with only three letter names.  DD's name is Eva.  

Which spelling do you prefer?  Thoughts on the name?  TIA!   

DD #1 Eva- April 2011
DD #2 Violet- October 2013
DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

Re: Zoe or Zoey

• I personally like Zoe, however I've heard people pronounce it Z-oh which would make me consider the Zoey spelling. I think it's pretty either way you choose to spell it.

• I don't think it'd be weird to have two siblings with the same number of letters, i don't think anyone would say anything about that. I like Zoe better than Zoey, but that's just me.
    Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

• Loading the player...
  • I prefer the spelling Zoe, and I don't think I'd even notice that siblings had the same length name much less care.

image  image

• imageg8trkim:
    I personally like Zoe, however I've heard people pronounce it Zoh which would make me consider the Zoey spelling. I think it's pretty either way you choose to spell it.

This is exactly why we named DD Zoey. To be honest, until we started looking into names for her I would have pronounced Zoe just zoh too. So we added the y to avoid confusion.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • You could spell it Zooey, like Zooey Deschanel. I realize that might anger some people..
  • I prefer Zoe plus I think this spelling ages better IMO
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I prefer zoey. It looks finished to me for some odd reason and you won't have people guessing how to pronounce it. But either way works really.
  • imageBarbercharm:
    You could spell it Zooey, like Zooey Deschanel. I realize that might anger some people..

Haha, I kind of thought of that for a split second and then cringed a little.  I do like her a lot, though! 

DD #1 Eva- April 2011

• imageBarbercharm:
    You could spell it Zooey, like Zooey Deschanel. I realize that might anger some people..

I really dislike Zooey.  I always think Zoo (with animals) - ee.

I like Zoe.  I have never heard anyone pronounce it as a 1 syllable name. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I think that both spellings are perfectly fine (love the name Zoe/Zoey!). I prefer it spelled Zoe, but I do agree that it might look strange to have two daughters with three-letter names.

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• imagemj.reilly:
    Zoe

It is a Greek name. That is how it should be spelled. It is Daphne, Penelope, Calliope, and Phoebe. Not Daphney, Penelopey, Calliopey, and Phoebey. Same for Zoe, IMO. Ni need for the superfluous "y."

Agreed. I'm all for traditional spellings and not worrying about people who don't know how to say them! 

BFP#1 due 3/5/2007 missed m/c at 10w, d&c 8/2006 BFP#2 DD 6/2007 BFP#3 DS 5/2009 BFP#4 due 4/8/12 m/c at 9w3d, after weeks of waiting for hcg to go down finally prescribed misoprosotol BFP#5 DUE 8/15/13 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagemummalove:
    imagemj.reilly:
    Zoe

It is a Greek name. That is how it should be spelled. It is Daphne, Penelope, Calliope, and Phoebe. Not Daphney, Penelopey, Calliopey, and Phoebey. Same for Zoe, IMO. Ni need for the superfluous "y."

Agreed. I'm all for traditional spellings and not worrying about people who don't know how to say them! 

Times three.

Our friends who are Greek just had a Zoe, and call her Zo as  NN. So cute!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • I prefer Zoe, but I know a 30 something woman who spells her name Zoie. I honestly don't think the 3 letter thing matters, and I'm not a fan of alternative spellings, so I would go with Zoe
  • imagemj.reilly:
    ZoeIt is a Greek name. That is how it should be spelled. It is Daphne, Penelope, Calliope, and Phoebe. Not Daphney, Penelopey, Calliopey, and Phoebey. Same for Zoe, IMO. Ni need for the superfluous "y."

Exactly. Do Zoe!
    A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

• imagemj.reilly:
    Zoe

Emphatically this.  I know ancient Greek pretty well (majored in classics) and it bugs the living hell out of me when people spell it Zoey.  There is not a y there in Greek.  It doesn't make any sense.  The only reason anyone uses it is so it doesn't get mispronounced, but Zoe is so popular now that anyone who doesn't know how to pronounce it is living under a rock.  Please spell it correctly.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Please spell this name correctly.

Nothing pains me more than Zoey. (or Zooey used by people who've never read the Salinger novel.)

Eva and Zoe is an adorable sibset.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Zoe. There is absolutely no reason to have the superfluous Y at the end. It grates on my nerves.

I would not worry about both children having 3 letter names. No reason to misspell one of their names just to avoid uniformity, kwim?

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I think Zoe is the original spelling, although I admit I like the look of the y added for some reason. However, I would still just do Zoe.
  • Thanks, everyone!  This helps a lot.  :)
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"