August 2012 Moms

WDYT - BF'ing

https://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/living/2013/07/18/dnt-thank-you-for-breastfeeding.kcci.html

Synopsis is a female mom server at a restaurant pays for a family's dinner and writes "Thank you for breastfeeding" on the check.

ETA: Mom started nursing under a cover when the one year old got fussy.

Thoughts?

Re: WDYT - BF'ing

• Not fair to the moms that can't breastfeed and it also brings attention to the moms that do breastfeed but would rather be descrete about it.

I think it is better when it isn't an issue at all, weather a positive or negative issue. That does nothing to normalize breastfeeding. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • I thought it was a nice gesture.  I'm not sure it's newsworthy though.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm pretty neutral. As a FF'er by necessity it makes me defensive, but as I assume the server had BF'd and gotten some blowback I think she was just trying to be nice. I'm all for promoting BF'ing as long as there's not negativity towards who are educated but choose not to/can't BF.
  • imageBuona Fortuna:
    I thought it was a nice gesture.  I'm not sure it's newsworthy though.

This.

photo judgejudy.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • amaiteamaite member
    imageRhomonk:

imageBuona Fortuna:
    I thought it was a nice gesture.  I'm not sure it's newsworthy though.

This.

Agreed.
  • amaiteamaite member
    imageSpruceGrouse:
    Not fair to the moms that can't breastfeed and it also brings attention to the moms that do breastfeed but would rather be descrete about it.I think it is better when it isn't an issue at all, weather a positive or negative issue. That does nothing to normalize breastfeeding.nbsp;

I'd agree with this if it were the restaurant's policy to pay for the meals of breastfeeding mothers, but not in the case of an individual who took it upon herself to do so.
  • I think it's weird, but a nice thing to do.

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• I don't feel one way or the other about it and wonder, like pp, how it's newsworthy.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• The server that paid fpr it was a breastfeeding mother who has been made uncomfortable for feeding her baby in public. It was a nice gesture for her, as a stranger. Was it necessary? No. Did it make that woman happy? Yes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTula214:
    The server that paid fpr it was a breastfeeding mother who has been made uncomfortable for feeding her baby in public. It was a nice gesture for her, as a stranger. Was it necessary? No. Did it make that woman happy? Yes.

Agreed! It probably didn't need to be news, but it's nice to see moms supporting each other instead of bringing them down.
  • I thought it was a nice gesture. It might not be groundbreaking news, but it's a nice positive story amidst that typical negative news.

On a related note, I work at a children's hospital (I'm a computer programmer, not in patient care). One of the Grand Rounds a couple years ago was about supporting breastfeeding mothers, and the speaker was encouraging doctors and nurses to, when they saw a mother breastfeeding in public, to tell them "hey, I'm a doctor or nurse, and I think it's great you're breastfeeding!". 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageSaltylove:
    It was a nice gesture.We EFF, and yeah, I've gotten flack for FF, but NIP can be a huge deal for BFing moms. If this one gesture made a mom or two feel more comfortable with feeding her kid in public, that is a ok with me.Every little thing in support of either EFF or BF doesn't need to automatically be construed as a dig at the other feeding method, and even though some things make me defensive, this isn't one of them.nbsp;

thumbs up
  • I read this story somewhere yesterday.  I thought it was a really sweet story.  The mom fed the kid in the restaurant then began to feel uncomfortable or like the baby was being a distraction and went outside to finish feeding in her car.  The waitress could relate, evidently, and went out of her way to be supportive of someone she thought could use encouragement.  She'd been there.  I like feel good stories like this in general, and while it may not be "newsworthy", it's nice to see positive stories in the "news".

I agree with Salty and Tula also.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• As a BF mom who feels insecure in public, even when I'm wearing a cover cause it feels like all eyes are on me, I would have felt so good to get a note like that!  I don't think it was made to make FF moms feel bad or to say "FINALLY someone is BF and not FF".  But rather to say, thank you for not being ashamed to do what is a very natural thing.  In my eyes, its newsworthy to continue to let BF moms know: don't be ashamed.  I loved it.  Cause the norm is FF.  BF moms get side-eyed all the time.  It sucks and adds to my insecurity.  Am the world's biggest hero for doing so?  No.  But its important to ME.

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

• Meh, I am neither here nor there.

A couple of months a go, I was nursing Finn at the mall, and some lady from WAY across the hall was waving and saying good job for nursing. I was embarrassed, it did not normalize nursing at all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"