September 2013 Moms

This sounds painful.....

My mother and I were talking about breastfeeding the other night. She was telling me how it hurts the first few times until your nipples get use to the pain etc.

She said her doctor recommended she use a rough dish towel to rub over them to get them tough....OUCH!

No thanks. I'd rather let my baby make them tougher. Plus I'm sure nowadays this not something an OB would tell you....(I wouldn't think)

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: This sounds painful.....

• This was SUPER common when my mom/DH's mom and their sisters were having babies! I have heard it from all of them and they swear by it! However, at my BFing class AND when I spoke to my OB about it, both of them said it is entirely unnecessary. BFing itself will "toughen them up" to the degree at which it is appropriate for your comfort. The more I talk to people about it, the more it is clear that there will be pain associated with BFing, but I don't feel the need to "toughen them up" prior to LO beginning. It's odd to hear all of the things our mothers were told that have changed so much in the time we've been alive! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was told this ten years ago with my first, to rough them up. But my doctor said there is no need and it does not do a thing except hurt you.

Son is 10 yrs old

Daughter is 8 yrs old

Son is Due Sept 18, 2013

• Loading the player...
  • A coworker of mine said she was told to use a toothbrush! Ouch! No thanks!
  • This is why I would take advantage of a lactation consultant at the hospital or pediatrician office.  It might hurt or feel weird in the beginning but if your baby is latched properly it is not supposed to hurt.  If you let baby use you as a pacifier it will hurt.  After my second was born I used to dread feeding her..... like I would actually cry as my husband would bring her to me.  I decided to reach out to a lactation consultant and found out she wasn't latched properly. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Not something I would do, but does sound like old school advice!
  • yeah a friend (who's in her early 50's) told me to let SO torque on them and play with them to rough them up.

Ummmm.... no thanks. 

Part of the reason I chose the hospital I did is that they have GREAT LC's there. They got fabulous reviews. 

• I was listening to a podcast yesterday about BF, and they were discussing BF myths and old advice. They said that ladies were advised to use steel wool at one point...

Indifferent

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageredfallon:
    I was listening to a podcast yesterday about BF, and they were discussing BF myths and old advice. They said that ladies were advised to use steel wool at one point...[:]

My mother told me this, too. I didn't ask if she actually did it... I was afraid to know!

• imageLuckymomma4:
    This is why I would take advantage of a lactation consultant at the hospital or pediatrician office.  It might hurt or feel weird in the beginning but if your baby is latched properly it is not supposed to hurt.  If you let baby use you as a pacifier it will hurt.  After my second was born I used to dread feeding her..... like I would actually cry as my husband would bring her to me.  I decided to reach out to a lactation consultant and found out she wasn't latched properly. 

This.  I've also been reading that if done properly it shouldn't hurt. Unless your baby is teething and starts to bite you or unless he's distracted and pulls his head away from your body with your nipple in his mouth.

• imageredfallon:

I was listening to a podcast yesterday about BF, and they were discussing BF myths and old advice. They said that ladies were advised to use steel wool at one point...

Indifferent

Yikes!! I'm so terrified to BF, hearing some of these just makes me even more uncomfortable!

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• over stimulation of the nipples could cause contractions if done before delivery so don't listen to the previous generation's advice.
    ??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"