Baby Names

Tallulah

How does everybody feel about the name Tallulah?  I've heard some people describe it as grown-up and flirty which is funny considering my worry that it would seem too cutesy/childish.  Maybe I just don't know what to think of it because I haven't met a Tallulah yet?

Re: Tallulah

• It's personally not my style, but I wouldn't side eye it.  I think of it as a whimsical type of a name.

There's a reg on this board that has a little Tallulah-- hope she sees this and will chime in!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I have a Tallulah! It's an excellent name.

We worried it was a little too cutesy, which is why we didn't use it for DD1. But we both loved the name, and honestly---this generation of kids is growing up with Kinsleys and Brooklyns, so I really can't see Tallulah being any "more cutesy" than those names.

We usually have to repeat it, and about half the time people seem to think we made it up. Older people (as in, 65+) usually recognize its association with Tallulah Bankhead. Most people think it's cute, though I can tell lots of people definitely wonder what we were thinking.

It's a very versatile name with a ton of "more normal" NN options. Our Tallulah goes by any number of them (Tallu, Tilly, Lulu, Lula, Lulie, Tooly---and also by her middle name, Jane or Janie).

If you're ballsy enough, you should go for it. Tallulah suits DD2 perfectly. She's a bubbly ray of sunshine and it just fits.

ETA: We gave her a super-normal, simple middle name. I thought she might appreciate having the option of going by Jane if she turns out to be a wallflower, or just doesn't want something as dramatic/unique as Tallulah.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageHelenahhandbasket:

I think of it as a whimsical type of a name.

I am a huge fan of anything that can be described as whimsical, which is probably why I love the name Tallulah! ;)

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• imageScarlett&Gatsby:

I have a Tallulah! It's an excellent name.

We worried it was a little too cutesy, which is why we didn't use it for DD1. But we both loved the name, and honestly---this generation of kids is growing up with Kinsleys and Brooklyns, so I really can't see Tallulah being any "more cutesy" than those names.

We usually have to repeat it, and about half the time people seem to think we made it up. Older people (as in, 65+) usually recognize its association with Tallulah Bankhead. Most people think it's cute, though I can tell lots of people definitely wonder what we were thinking.

It's a very versatile name with a ton of "more normal" NN options. Our Tallulah goes by any number of them (Tallu, Tilly, Lulu, Lula, Lulie, Tooly---and also by her middle name, Jane or Janie).

If you're ballsy enough, you should go for it. Tallulah suits DD2 perfectly. She's a bubbly ray of sunshine and it just fits.

ETA: We gave her a super-normal, simple middle name. I thought she might appreciate having the option of going by Jane if she turns out to be a wallflower, or just doesn't want something as dramatic/unique as Tallulah.

Thanks!  This helps a lot!  I often find myself repeating the name of our first DD, so I'm used to it.  I agree, though--if you love the name, it's worth repeating for people. Now I just need to see if DH is on board!

• imagejyoung01:
    imageScarlett&Gatsby:

I have a Tallulah! It's an excellent name.

Thanks!  This helps a lot!  I often find myself repeating the name of our first DD, so I'm used to it.  I agree, though--if you love the name, it's worth repeating for people. Now I just need to see if DH is on board!

Ha, the first time I mentioned it to DH, he was like, "What is that, Hawaiian or something?"

By the time I was pregnant with DD1, he was on board with it as an option, and with DD2, he picked it out.

• I love it. DD's MN is Lula after my great grandma. I love Lula by itself as well but you could use it as a NN for Tallulah too.

• It's nms but I do like it.  I think it works on an adult or child.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• I love it! It's fun without being too cutesy. Tully is an adorable nickname as well.
  • I have mixed feelings. Cute meaning and nickname potential. I know of a Tallulah that goes by Lula. But I can't help but think of the movie Cool Runnings where a member of the Jamaican bobsled team suggests it as the name for the sled. His teammate responds that it sounds like the name if a 2 hooker. Not saying I agree, just sayin I always think of that scene.
  • I can't help but think about the New Zealand family that named their child Talula does the Hula from Hawaii.  The state stepped in when it was learned the child was embarrassed.  This is not a critique of the name... Just telling you this is my immediate association

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2008/07/24/talula-nz-name.html
    I can't wait to meet you Neva Margaret Rebecca
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love, love, love Tallulah. I like the nicknames Lula or Tally also. DH didn't like it.. He thought it sounded a little redneck, and I think it's just whimsical.
    Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love it!  I think of it as an "exotic classic" name -- you don't hear it too often, but it's a real name that I would assume many other people would know about.

I think it would age well. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • not a fan and think it is a cute young girl name but will not age well
  • imageHappy_Yahoo_Personaler:
    I hate it.  Sounds very "perpetual 2 year old" to me.  And I would never take a resume with that name Tallulah on it seriously if I were an employer. 

How fortunate that resumes come with qualifications and accomplishments, then.

Seriously, people put waaay too much stock in that excuse on this board. (And yes, before you think you have to labor the point, I'm familiar with Freakenomics). I've worked for very capable, intelligent people with "unprofessional" names (cutesy, misspelled, etc.) I have an "unprofessional" name. Employers actually give zero damns what your name is if you're the right person for the job.

Freakenomics is talking about names that indicate a specific socioeconomic status, and the prejudices that come with that in the career field. No matter for Tallulah-users, since the name screams privileged white yuppy parents. 

• It's not a bad name, but I can't see it on a 40yo professional woman.
  • I automatically think of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore's youngest daughter. They have Rumer, Scout and Tallulah Belle.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• imageScarlett&Gatsby:

Freakenomics is talking about names that indicate a specific socioeconomic status, and the prejudices that come with that in the career field. No matter for Tallulah-users, since the name screams privileged white yuppy parents. 

Tallulah doesn't sound like privileged white yuppy parents to me. To me, it sounds like a dirty barefoot kid running around a trailer park in the South. That may not reflect your children at all, but stereotypes and expectations don't stop existing just because you want them to. Would I NOT hire someone for having this name? No, but it may be harder for them to win me over because of those initial reactions. Do I like that reality? No, but if you claim you don't do it yourself you're either lying or in denial.

• imageanssett:
    imageScarlett&Gatsby:

Tallulah doesn't sound like privileged white yuppy parents to me. To me, it sounds like a dirty barefoot kid running around a trailer park in the South. That may not reflect your children at all, but stereotypes and expectations don't stop existing just because you want them to. Would I NOT hire someone for having this name? No, but it may be harder for them to win me over because of those initial reactions. Do I like that reality? No, but if you claim you don't do it yourself you're either lying or in denial.

Meh, yuppies are the ones using the name; not trailer trash. Your associations with the name now aren't going to be people's associations 25 years in the future.

I don't lose sleep over this nonsense, though. Tallulah is a great name with an etymology and history. We're not talking about naming a kid Princezlyn or something.  

ETA: weird punctuation fixed. 

• NMS.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• I love it, not sure I'd be gutsy enough to use it, but Love it.
    Photobucket Photobucket BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think of Tallulah Bankhead, even though I only know of her because she guest starred in an episode of I Love Lucy once and I grew up watching that show on Nick at Nite. But she's the only Tallulah I've heard of. So I don't really have a strong association with it, but it's definitely not a little girl name to me since I think of her.

I really like it but I don't know if I'd be ballsy enough to use it, lol.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickersCafeMom Tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"