April 2013 Moms

Formula

So my SO mom offered to get up with LO last night since we have had zero sleep this week. I took her up on it. He is bf but I have started weaning to ff. Usually i bf through the night, in the morning and at night. He usually does a 3 to 4 hour stretch at night then up every hour. Last night he got formula since my SO mom got up with him. He did two 5 hour stretches! She has watched him for us twice over night and he did the same thing! I'm starting to think he's not getting enough breastmilk duing his middle of the night waking and that is why he's up so much! Thoughts?
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Formula

• Its not necessarily that he's not getting enough breast milk -- breast milk is broken down easier and faster because its all natural components. Formula takes longer for their body to digest because it needs to break down the proteins. So, some breastfed babies wake up more often because they're done digesting their milk faster than some formula fed babies.

Also, I know of FF babies that woke up every 3 hours on the dot and then there is my EBF baby who's been STTN 8-10 hours since 2 months old. Its a crap shoot! The good thing is SLEEP! :)

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Babies are made to digest breast milk. They are not made to digest formula, therefore it takes them longer to digest it making it longer between feedings. But it is still possible ur LO isn't eating a full meal. Maybe your mother has a different way of waking up the baby. Have you tried doing a diaper change between sides? That has helped us, wakes them up to eat more.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • imageToAoShesha:
    Babies are made to digest breast milk. They are not made to digest formula, therefore it takes them longer to digest it making it longer between feedings. But it is still possible ur LO isn't eating a full meal. Maybe your mother has a different way of waking up the baby. Have you tried doing a diaper change between sides? That has helped us, wakes them up to eat more.

You may be right. I think he is falling asleep at the wheel and not getting enough!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KLL22KLL22 member
    My LO is EFF and while she used to sleep OKish she is now getting up every few hours. It could be that your LO is not getting enough.... But I think it's probably more so that formula is digested slower than BM. Is he gaining the proper amount of weight and does he seem satisfied when done nursing at night? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecas110688:
    imageToAoShesha:
    Babies are made to digest breast milk. They are not made to digest formula, therefore it takes them longer to digest it making it longer between feedings. But it is still possible ur LO isn't eating a full meal. Maybe your mother has a different way of waking up the baby. Have you tried doing a diaper change between sides? That has helped us, wakes them up to eat more.

You may be right. I think he is falling asleep at the wheel and not getting enough!

I posted About this just yesterday. My little one is breastfed and was getting up every one and a half to two hours. She often fell asleep during her last feed before bed and in the middle of the night it was hard to wake her up to get a good full feed. We decided to give an additional 1 ounces of bottle breastmilk before we went to bed, Which was about two hours after little one went to bed, and we have done that for four nights now and she slept between 5 and 6 hours so we're getting a little more sleep. still getting up a few times after that but that sleep for me has been hugely helpful.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"