July 2013 Moms

Post C-Section Question

So I ended up having an emergency c section last Saturday after being in labor for 2.5 days.  To top it off I was unmedicated because I wanted to have a natural birth but at the end of the day my baby and my health came first.  I am feeling a little better each day thanks to pain meds.  I'm making sure I don't lift anything heavy and am focusing on caring for baby.  I understand the recovery period is 6 weeks.  I am just curious if there is anything I can do now to slowly start losing the baby weight before the 6 week recovery period.  Maybe walking everyday or any other light activities I can do?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Post C-Section Question

• imageAlicia0817:
    Breast feed

Yeah this. 

I've lost 25 pounds since I've been home (one week!)

Most of it was fluid of course, my feet were ginormous from all those IV fluids, but I'm sure all the calories I've burned from feeding LO 24/7 haven't hurt. 

• Yep, breast feeding is amazing! My stomach was flat again about 1 1/2 weeks after my c-section. Of course I am kinda lucky there, as its not very normal. But I know a lot of moms worry having a c-section means it takes longer to get back in shape. While I am sure it can be true for some woman it's not always true. I know for me personally I can't do much beyond walks for even longer then 6 weeks. But my body takes longer to recover then average. I am really annoyed with the pain I am still in and my girl will be 3 weeks tomorrow. I think no matter how great you feel you should play it safe and wait the 6 weeks before doing much. 

baby #1 boy 11.1.02 baby #2 boy 2.25.04 baby #3 girl 6.28.13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker my blog
  • Loading the player...
  • imageJasmineeelizabeth:

imageAlicia0817:
    Breast feed

Yeah this. 

I've lost 25 pounds since I've been home (one week!)

Most of it was fluid of course, my feet were ginormous from all those IV fluids, but I'm sure all the calories I've burned from feeding LO 24/7 haven't hurt. 

Yep, same here. I've lost 28 lbs. and have done nothing but a few short walks and breastfeeding. I do understand your desire to do something. I can't wait to get back to running and exercising regularly, but I know that right now the best thing I can do is to rest, take it easy, and let myself heal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• imagemaryannespier:
    Not to be snarky, but is it really that important to have the weight off ASAP? I understand, of course, that many of us will want to lose the baby weight in a timely fashion, but give yourself the six weeks to recover without immediately jumping to needing to lose weight. After six weeks see how it feels to exercise.

I agree with this. You're not even a week out yet, there's a good chance you're still holding fluid from pregnancy and from the c-section. You should just relax about your weight for now. I am sure you'll be surprised what a difference 6 weeks will make.   

baby #1 boy 11.1.02 baby #2 boy 2.25.04 baby #3 girl 6.28.13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker my blog
  • Walking is definitely ok. Just listen to your body. I'm day 6 post c section and I've been running errands all week. LC appointment Monday, pedi and lunch with DH on Wednesday, errands and lunch with my coworkers today and tomorrow we will be taking DD1 to gymnastics, DD2 to the pedi for another weight check, and lowes. There is nothing wrong with wanting to get back into the swing of things, just listen to your body and don't overdo it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You start exercising and your not going to let your body heal properly and may encounter setbacks. It took you months to gain all that weight so have patience to take it off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Breadtfeed! Also walking, I lost 27lbs in 10 days and ate normal, no doubt breastfeeding did the trick so far.

Anniversary

Pregnancy Ticker

• flkongflkong member
    I agree with pp about recovering fully before worrying about weight loss. The old saying goes "it took 9 months to gain the weight so give yourself 9 months to loose it". With that said, breastfeeding is amazing and walking is reasonable at this point. I loss 30 lbs. in 2 weeks and was back to pre-pregnancy size. I wasn't trying to loose and I'm sure it's water and pregnancy contents but I'll take it.

• imageRumbleLina:
    You start exercising and your not going to let your body heal properly and may encounter setbacks. It took you months to gain all that weight so have patience to take it off.

Yep. Agree with this and Maryanne. Slow your roll. Give your body a chance to heal. Right now focus on nutrition and bonding with your baby.

Also, you need to be cleared by your doctor to exercise. The last thing you need is to be popping stitches, hurting yourself or whatever. There are worse things than baby weight. You won't be doing yourself any favors rushing.

Calm down.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I wouldn't worry about weight yet but to help with recovery definitely breastfeed, go for walks slow and short at first. Also get a belly binder. It's not just to shrink your stomach. The binder will help give you support and make things like walking, sitting/standing up, and climbing stairs more bearable.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am 2 weeks out and have been walking each morning about a mile -- I didn't start until a few days ago when I actually felt like I could.  I have a 2 year old as well, so it's a mini adventure for her as well.
  • I just had a one week incision check and my doctor cleared my for driving and when I asked about the other restrictions she said I can do whatever, but just to take it easy.  We know our own bodies and what they can handle.  Start off with walking lightly and then build it up.  She said the weight will come off and a lot of the "bump" us c-section moms have is still some swelling from surgery and some gas.  Stay patient with it and it will come off soon.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"