May 2013 Moms

Re: UO

• I hate skulls and crossbones on baby and kids clothing. So icky.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • There is no reason a healthy,non disabled, two parent family should be on welfare. As with everything, I'm sure there are some exceptions but right now I can't think of any.
    Also, TTC while on welfare is rude to us taxpayers. And yes, it does affect us since our taxes will go up to cover more people on it.
    Disclaimer: I am thankful for welfare for those that truly need it. Example: when my sister left her abusive exhusband and had two kids to take care of.
  • Loading the player...
  • Most of the time, I prefer store bought gifts instead of handmade. I hate holding onto items just because I would feel guilty getting rid of them. And then, like with handmade baby blankets, I hesitate to actually use them in case they get ruined.

I don't think this will apply to gifts the baby makes me when she's older. Those can be wonderful treasures.
    Baby girl born 5/20/13. Figuring it out as we go. :)
  • imagebeaubecca:
    I actually liked wearing maternity clothes. I gain weight in my tummy first and have huge boobs so maternity clothes fit me well! The pants are too big now to wear and I'm sad.

I liked wearing them too. These days I'm wearing shorts and tanks but I honestly think my maternity jeans were more comfortable.
  • They say "blood is thicker than water" and family is most important, but I'm getting to the point where I'm actually beginning to hate certain members of my family.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageCNJ4EVA:
    They say "blood is thicker than water" and family is most important, but I'm getting to the point where I'm actually beginning to hate certain members of my family.

I haven't talked to one of my brothers since 2006. Thick blood or not, he's a huge a hole.
    Baby girl born 5/20/13. Figuring it out as we go. :)
  • I really dislike when people expect you to go to a BBQ in 95 degree weather with a baby. The best is when you say no and there answer is well they have an umbrella that you could sit under so we will see you in about an hour. It is almost like did you hear our answer when we said no it's too hot for her to be outside.

• I'm not opposed to hand me downs but I really wish people would take into account when my baby was born before handing me stuff. What good is a 0-3 mo fleece onesie to a baby born in May?!?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageannarussell05:
    This might be really unpopular here but I think over the top gender reveal parties are obnoxious. A baby shower is more than enough attention for you during your pregnancy and to ask for guests to celebrate.

I think it's cute when a couple is surprised with a gender reveal with their family but the big parties with professionally made cakes ans gifts is too much.

I agree I think they are ridiculous, why would you wait another week after you have an ultrasound just to cut a cake or release balloons or whatever other dumb way to find out what you are having. Silly just silly!!
  • imageannarussell05:
    This might be really unpopular here but I think over the top gender reveal parties are obnoxious. A baby shower is more than enough attention for you during your pregnancy and to ask for guests to celebrate.

I think it's cute when a couple is surprised with a gender reveal with their family but the big parties with professionally made cakes ans gifts is too much.

I agree I think they are ridiculous, why would you wait another week after you have an ultrasound just to cut a cake or release balloons or whatever other dumb way to find out what you are having. Silly just silly!!
  • clw617clw617 member

imagehelenkayj:
    I'm not opposed to hand me downs but I really wish people would take into account when my baby was born before handing me stuff. What good is a 0-3 mo fleece onesie to a baby born in May?!?

This! lol My MIL bought DS a bunch of fleece newborn size footie PJs. And we live in the south! (not that it's cool enough to wear that anywhere).  

• I really dislike the summer. I feel like it's too hot to go outside, and when it's actually cool out, there's a chance of thunderstorms. Not to mention the wrestling match it takes to put sunscreen on a toddler, the extremely high pollen counts, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't like the idea that your college years are a time for "experimentation" or that you should get your "slutty years" out of the way before settling down.

All actions have consequences regardless of age, it should be acceptable to set responsible boundaries for yourself.  I wish I'd had the confidence to reject what culture told me during that time.

• imageallydncr:

image1and1is3:
    There is no reason a healthy,non disabled, two parent family should be on welfare. As with everything, I'm sure there are some exceptions but right now I can't think of any. Also, TTC while on welfare is rude to us taxpayers. And yes, it does affect us since our taxes will go up to cover more people on it. Disclaimer: I am thankful for welfare for those that truly need it. Example: when my sister left her abusive exhusband and had two kids to take care of.

I think there are plenty of reasons why a family with two healthy parents would need assistance. The key thing is that welfare is meant to be temporary assistance, not a way of life. For example, my friend and her husband needed to go on benefits temporarily - they have three kids and the youngest was born at 26 weeks. They had huge hospital bills and then her husband lost his job. They were living paycheck to paycheck and wouldn't have made it without welfare. But it was a temporary solution for them, not a way of life. The system is supposed to be for situations like that, when people need a hand to get them on their feet for 6 months or a year (or maybe longer in this economy - jobs are hard to come by). But some people live off welfare, and I don't think that's right - two parents or not. 

Exactly! 

• imageallydncr:

image1and1is3:
    There is no reason a healthy,non disabled, two parent family should be on welfare. As with everything, I'm sure there are some exceptions but right now I can't think of any.
    Also, TTC while on welfare is rude to us taxpayers. And yes, it does affect us since our taxes will go up to cover more people on it.
    Disclaimer: I am thankful for welfare for those that truly need it. Example: when my sister left her abusive exhusband and had two kids to take care of.

I think there are plenty of reasons why a family with two healthy parents would need assistance. The key thing is that welfare is meant to be temporary assistance, not a way of life. For example, my friend and her husband needed to go on benefits temporarily - they have three kids and the youngest was born at 26 weeks. They had huge hospital bills and then her husband lost his job. They were living paycheck to paycheck and wouldn't have made it without welfare. But it was a temporary solution for them, not a way of life. The system is supposed to be for situations like that, when people need a hand to get them on their feet for 6 months or a year (or maybe longer in this economy - jobs are hard to come by). But some people live off welfare, and I don't think that's right - two parents or not.

This is a good exception, I was thinking of people who TTC on welfare and who use it as way of life instead of assistance to help them. Like rather than getting a second job for a bit to make ends meet, they just get on welfare. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think welfare should be an automatic fall back without trying all other options first.
  • I hate when people say giving an infant cereal before six months causes obesity!  What a child eats at 2 months old will not cause them to be over weight later in life.  Eating fast food/junk food and sitting in front of the TV/computer/iPad all day is the problem...not a couple teaspoons of cereal!!!!!
    ***Lauren*** Married my Love 07.12.08 - Baby #1 (Girl)-Cystic Hygroma & Turner's Syndrome-D&C at 13 weeks 03.29.12
  • imagelaurenstrawn:
    I hate when people say giving an infant cereal before six months causes obesity!  What a child eats at 2 months old will not cause them to be over weight later in life.  Eating fast food/junk food and sitting in front of the TV/computer/iPad all day is the problem...not a couple teaspoons of cereal!!!!!

Well..I believe it has been proven that what you eat when you are young can contribute to obesity later in life, your cells become programmed to be "fat". I could be making this up, but I'm almost certain I heard it somewhere. That said, I'm not thinking that includes infant cereal. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • In reference to the welfare comment there are also individuals that don't necessarily make enough and live below the federal poverty line
  • imagelaurenstrawn:
    I hate when people say giving an infant cereal before six months causes obesity! nbsp;What a child eats at 2 months old will not cause them to be over weight later in life. nbsp;Eating fast food/junk food and sitting in front of the TV/computer/iPad all day is the problem...not a couple teaspoons of cereal!!!!!
    I could be wrong but I believe there is a link between bottle feeding in general and overweight children, because it is easier to overfeed the baby when using bottles. I'm sure I've seen that representation on one of those lists of why breast is best. [No flames please! I'm not saying there is anything wrong with bottles or formula, just repeating some propaganda I've read].
  • imagewmorgan003:
    imagelaurenstrawn:
    I hate when people say giving an infant cereal before six months causes obesity! nbsp;What a child eats at 2 months old will not cause them to be over weight later in life. nbsp;Eating fast food/junk food and sitting in front of the TV/computer/iPad all day is the problem...not a couple teaspoons of cereal!!!!!
    I could be wrong but I believe there is a link between bottle feeding in general and overweight children, because it is easier to overfeed the baby when using bottles. I'm sure I've seen that representation on one of those lists of why breast is best. [No flames please! I'm not saying there is anything wrong with bottles or formula, just repeating some propaganda I've read].

If that's the case then I should be overweight because I was bottle-fed formula and had cereal at 2 months...but I'm not.  I've been very slim my whole life, just like my two sisters, my husband, and dozens of other friends/family.  For every study that shows one thing there are five more to dispute it.  But please, to say that cereal causes obesity is ridiculous.  But again, that's my UO.

***Lauren*** Married my Love 07.12.08 - Baby #1 (Girl)-Cystic Hygroma & Turner's Syndrome-D&C at 13 weeks 03.29.12
  • imagelaurenstrawn:

imagewmorgan003:
    imagelaurenstrawn:

If that's the case then I should be overweight because I was bottle-fed formula and had cereal at 2 months...but I'm not.  I've been very slim my whole life, just like my two sisters, my husband, and dozens of other friends/family.  For every study that shows one thing there are five more to dispute it.  But please, to say that cereal causes obesity is ridiculous.  But again, that's my UO.

I don't think one causes the other. Just that there may be a correlation. Again, this is not necessarily my personal opinion.

ETA: and I don't think the cereal or formula causes the obesity, if there is a link it's mostly due to the amount given.
  • imagewmorgan003:
    imagelaurenstrawn:

my EBF baby didn't get the memo... He is a 15.5 lb 11 week chunker! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

• imagebhjones1980:

my EBF baby didn't get the memo... He is a 15.5 lb 11 week chunker! 

Hahaha, wow! That's great. Mine didn't either, one of my 12 week olds is only 10.5 pounds and we are supplementing with formula. :) 
  • LN1024LN1024 member
    imageMommyLizzy:

imagewmorgan003:
    imagelaurenstrawn:

That's complete bullshit.  

Agreed.  

• LN1024LN1024 member
    imageMommyLizzy:

imagewmorgan003:
    imagelaurenstrawn:

Agreed.  

• imageLN1024:
    imageMommyLizzy:

imagewmorgan003:
    imagelaurenstrawn:

Agreed.  

Just want to reiterate...again...this is not my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"