3rd Trimester

Nipple stimulation ..does it work?

I am 38 weeks and 4 days pregnant and am desperate to have my baby!!! Walking and spicy food hasn't gotten things started but I heard nipple stimulation might. My questions are have your tried it? If so did it work? If it worked how long after did you have your baby?

Re: Nipple stimulation ..does it work?

• Putting on my flame resistant suit and walking away very slowly!

Baby will come when its ready, do not try to induce labor when its clear baby is not ready.  All you are going to do is cause more harm and pain that is not needed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• It'll work if the baby is ready to come...if not, nothing will work.
  • Loading the player...
  • Uh, or you could just wait until baby is ready to come on its own?
    image    image   image   image
    DS #1 arrived 10/09/2011
    DS #2 arrived 08/27/2013
    Loving every minute with two sweet boys!

• You still have a bit of time before your full term, so I wouldn't get to anxious too soon.  Nipple stimulation may work, only if you are already ready to go, or on the edge. 
    Formerly the untaggable Mrs. D S Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • M0ONM0ON member

imagevirginiamama85:
    Uh, or you could just wait until baby is ready to come on its own?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • What part of 40 weeks do some women not understand?  SMDH

image image  image  image

• imagePSUBean22:
    It'll work if the baby is ready to come...if not, nothing will work.

This. I learned this lesson with my last pregnancy. I was facing an induction due to Cholestasis. I was trying to induce naturally because I didn't want to be put on Pitocin for induction. We tried nipple stim, membrane stripping twice, lots of sex, and a few other crazy stupid things. It didn't work.

Since you are nearing your 39th week in this heat, I can understand wanting to have your baby now. I'm in Chicago too. This heat is unbearable. I'm 35 weeks. But it really is better to just wait for baby. It seems like an eternity right now, but baby will be here before you know it. Hang in there. Stay indoors.

• Just be patient. It's better for the baby to let it come naturally, I wouldn't try to intervene.

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• caovercaover member
    No it doesn't work...but I have heard that waiting until 40 weeks does,,,
    4 m/c between 2007-2012 Twin girls born 15 weeks premature on 8.17.10 BFP 1.24.13 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • You've made it to this point, just be patient for the next couple of weeks until they're ready.
  • Ok people, she has a week till her due date...really? Any natural methods aren't going to work unless her body is ready.
    OP, things to prep your body for labor are red raspberry leaf tea, prim rose oil both taken by mouth and you can insert 1 vaginally before bed unless you have sex that night then you don't need to. I've heard eating pineapple and mangos help too.
  • caovercaover member

imageprovwife:
    Ok people, she has a week till her due date...really? Any natural methods aren't going to work unless her body is ready. OP, things to prep your body for labor are red raspberry leaf tea, prim rose oil both taken by mouth and you can insert 1 vaginally before bed unless you have sex that night then you don't need to. I've heard eating pineapple and mangos help too.

one week is a big deal when you have had a preemie. People are too quick to get what they want on demand. 

4 m/c between 2007-2012 Twin girls born 15 weeks premature on 8.17.10 BFP 1.24.13 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Nipple stimulation gives you cramps or contractions, but it probably will not put you into labour. Nipple stimulation simulates a newborn nursing which releases some oxytocin to shrink your uterus back to normal size postpartum. So, if you stimulate now it will more than likely contract, but it could be fruitless contractions that just don't feel comfortable.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • These posts always crack me up, because everyone assumes that the heavens will open up at 40 weeks and they are now approved for delivery...not a day or minute before.

She is already considered full-term, so if the OP wants to *try* to naturally move things along, let her. Lots of women naturally have babies between 38-40 weeks. It isn't going to come until it is ready anyway.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecaover:

imageprovwife:
    Ok people, she has a week till her due date...really? Any natural methods aren't going to work unless her body is ready. OP, things to prep your body for labor are red raspberry leaf tea, prim rose oil both taken by mouth and you can insert 1 vaginally before bed unless you have sex that night then you don't need to. I've heard eating pineapple and mangos help too.

one week is a big deal when you have had a preemie. People are too quick to get what they want on demand. 

a 39 week preemie??? Mmmmm...no.

• lys733lys733 member
    Thank you to the few who tried to answer my question...
    I am not trying to do something that would harm my child I am full term and have spoken to my dr which is the only reason I'm comfortable trying anything at all. If I was told it would harm my baby it wouldn't be a thought. For anyone offended by my post since some appear to be I didn't ask for your opinion I asked for an answer. I will look elsewhere next time I have a question. I guess I thought this would be seen by other moms or moms to be that wouldn't judge...SMH
  • /walks right past the drama/

I tried this with a pump at 40wks and it actually did steady my contractions but...

All the little helpers did was just throw me into early labor for 3 days. Every 10-17 minutes I was bent over the couch swearing up a storm until I was induced at 41wks.

• imagelys733:
    I will look elsewhere next time I have a question. I guess I thought this would be seen by other moms or moms to be that wouldn't judge...SMH

Is this supposed to make anyone upset? There are a ton of other pregnancy message boards. Feel free to look elsewhere. Cya!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• lys733lys733 member
    imageShanmarie1083:

imagelys733:
    I will look elsewhere next time I have a question. I guess I thought this would be seen by other moms or moms to be that wouldn't judge...SMH

Is this supposed to make anyone upset? There are a ton of other pregnancy message boards. Feel free to look elsewhere. Cya!

Nothing I post is supposed to upset anyone. This is my first pregnancy and I have questions that's all I found this message board and thought someone may be able to answer my question again I didn't ask for opinions only an answer that is all.
  • imagelys733:
    imageShanmarie1083:

imagelys733:

Nothing I post is supposed to upset anyone. This is my first pregnancy and I have questions that's all I found this message board and thought someone may be able to answer my question again I didn't ask for opinions only an answer that is all.

You got your answer, multiple answers actually... you didn't like them because it wasn't what you wanted to hear.  The ladies on this board are very honest and tell it like it is, which is one of the main reasons I like it here. You also cannot dictate the type of responses you get when you post on a public forum. You will get all kinds of responses including the snarky and opinionated ones.

FWIW - nipple stimulation did absolutely nothing for me when I was pregnant with DS except cause painful cramping. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• lys733lys733 member
    A lot of these aren't answers and answer would have been "never tried it but.." Or "yes I tried it" "no I haven't" responses along those lines answer the questions I asked. Opinions are fine that's what it's about I get where you're coming from but most of these are snarky as you put it and all I did was ask a question. I appreciate the answers I got. I didn't want to hear a certain thing I wanted to know if it works that's all I've heard of many "natural" ways to induce labor and this one with what I read on it seemed safe and I can understand from the articles I've read why it would work so that led to me asking if it worked for anyone. That's it. Thank you for your input. Lets move on.
  • imagelys733:
    A lot of these aren't answers and answer would have been "never tried it but.." Or "yes I tried it" "no I haven't" responses along those lines answer the questions I asked. Opinions are fine that's what it's about I get where you're coming from but most of these are snarky as you put it and all I did was ask a question. I appreciate the answers I got. I didn't want to hear a certain thing I wanted to know if it works that's all I've heard of many "natural" ways to induce labor and this one with what I read on it seemed safe and I can understand from the articles I've read why it would work so that led to me asking if it worked for anyone. That's it. Thank you for your input. Lets move on.

Yep...move along now... 

• Nothing is going to work unless baby is ready to come. 
    imageimageimageimage

• When I was pregnant with DS2 I used my breast pump to try to get some contractions going.  My hope was to just get contractions to maybe start my body into dilating since I wanted a successful VBAC.  The very first time I did it (at 38 weeks plus some odd days), my water broke 15 minutes later.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  I guess I'll never know if my water would have broken on it's own without the pumping.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • skioskio member
    Doesn't work. Just causes contractions that are painful and possibly dangerous to baby but will not put you into labor unless your body is ready. Sorry dude. I know it's hard at the end, but hang in there; you've still got a week and a half until baby is even due.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • caovercaover member
    imageprovwife:
    imagecaover:

imageprovwife:

No sh!t sherlock but that isn't the point. 40 weeks is 40 weeks. Some people are impatient and down right selfish. 

• imagecaover:
    imageprovwife:
    imagecaover:

imageprovwife:
    Ok people, she has a week till her due date...really? Any natural methods aren't going to work unless her body is ready.
    OP, things to prep your body for labor are red raspberry leaf tea, prim rose oil both taken by mouth and you can insert 1 vaginally before bed unless you have sex that night then you don't need to. I've heard eating pineapple and mangos help too.

No sh!t sherlock but that isn't the point. 40 weeks is 40 weeks. Some people are impatient and down right selfish. 

40 weeks is an average. Some people go before that, some people go later. You need to relax. OP, nipple stim can't hurt at this point. It's worth a shot.
  • I am having to express antenatal colostrum, which obviously involves nipple stimulation, and it has caused contractions, but no other signs of labour.

My OB asked me to start at 36 weeks and explained that unless baby is ready to come, this stimulation won't start anything early.

TTC Since March 2010 - 2 angel babies - BFP December 12 EDD 12 Aug 13 Lilypie Maternity tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ignoring the drama for now, extensive nipple stimulation (ie pumping for 30 minute increments for hours on and off) releases oxytocin which causes contractions which if your body is primed, can jump start labor. 

I'd only do it if I was facing a pictocin induction. 

image image

• Hmm...why you are trying to self induce at 38 weeks I will never understand...
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've heard nipple stim can work, mostly if baby is ready to come on its own.

You can try pumping (you wont get anything) but just forewarning- it may make your nipples sore before you even start to BF your baby- which could be disastrous if you want to BF.

• caovercaover member
    imageKate621:
    imagecaover:
    imageprovwife:
    imagecaover:

imageprovwife:

After this I'm done with this thread BUT once again...no sh!t sherlock. Some people to go before that...NATURALLY...not because you are impatient.  

40 weeks is an average. Some people go before that, some people go later. You need to relax. OP, nipple stim can't hurt at this point. It's worth a shot.
  • imagevintageutopia:

These posts always crack me up, because everyone assumes that the heavens will open up at 40 weeks and they are now approved for delivery...not a day or minute before.

She is already considered full-term, so if the OP wants to *try* to naturally move things along, let her. Lots of women naturally have babies between 38-40 weeks. It isn't going to come until it is ready anyway.

Yes

I went into labor on my own at 38 weeks and DD was definately not considered a premie. No complications, she was just over 6 lbs (which is the heaviest baby born out of 2 generations on my mother's side of the family) and perfect in every way. You are considered full term once you hit 36 weeks and at that point, anything can happen at any moment. If she wants to try to get things jump started naturally, who is anyone else to judge. I agree it probably won't help unless the conditions are already favorable and baby is ready, but everyone needs to remember that not everyone full term goes until 40+ weeks.

• Check out this study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3224350/

About halfway down the page, you'll find the section "Complementary and Alternative Medicine Methods." It lists the success of castor oil, acupuncture, breast stimulation, sex, etc.

EDD 9/3/13
  • I carried to 41w, had to have a c/s because I was hoping to have a VBAC and my OB wouldn't induce.  I tried walking, sex, spicy food, bouncing on an exercise ball, and nipple stimulation.  Nothing worked.  Sucked, since I had a failed VBAC I'll always have a c/s from here on out.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • It wont work. Neither will rasberry leaf tea, castor oil, primrose, bouncing on a ball or eating some magical dish that someone else claimed worked for them. I'm on baby number four and they all went overdue. Tried everything.
  • I say give it a shot. What may not work with some may not work with others. You are carrying a full term baby (37 weeks + is considered full term) so go for it! It will not hurt to try.

BTW- I had a patient who missed his appointment and when we asked him about it he stated that him and his gf who was full term had a serious sex session and she went into labor right after. Again, what may not work for some may work for others.

You are all right when the baby is ready, the baby is ready but I also understand trying this early to avoid induction. I witnessed someone being induced at 38 weeks and if I had to choose between them putting some foreign object in my hoo-ha and breaking the bag and giving me crap load of drugs or nipple stimulation and all the other natural methods I think I would try the natural methods. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"