Working Moms

Would this bother you?

Mobile Users: Would this bother you?

I go back to work in 4 weeks. Today I get a text from a few coworkers, letting me know that my temp has rearranged my entire desk today and put up a bunch of personal things (pictures, etc). Why would she do this 4 weeks before I return? She also told me coworker that she "secretly" hopes I decide to become a SAHM and not come back.

How should I handle this? Should I just ignore it and just put stuff back when I return?  It's just frustrating, because the last thing I feel like doing while sorting through a zillion emails and trying to figure out this whole pumping at work thing is also trying to figure out where she's put all my stuff...great.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Would this bother you?

• Ignore it. She's the temp and wants a full time job so of course she's probably hoping you won't come back. Moving some pictures back isn't that big of a deal, a little annoying but that's all.

• It's one thing to put up pictures, but to rearrange your desk?  That's rude.

However, there is nothing to really "do" about it. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • image82Sonia:
    Ignore it. She's the temp and wants a full time job so of course she's probably hoping you won't come back. Moving some pictures back isn't that big of a deal, a little annoying but that's all.

This.

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Sorry I should have been more clear- she didn't move my pictures, I took my pics home with me. It's more that she moved around my files and my "system" that I'm annoyed with. I also find it weird that she did this when I'm about to return to work.
  • imageEastCoastBride:

It's one thing to put up pictures, but to rearrange your desk?  That's rude.

However, there is nothing to really "do" about it. 

I agree. Honestly, it would bother me a LOT, but objectively there is not anything to be concerned about other than she's rude and a bit nutso.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• Yup, she is weird.  But it wouldn't bother me.  Heck, my office got taken away from me while I was on mat leave, but I just made sure I had it back before I came back to work.
  • Seeing as it bothers me if my blinds aren't the same level or if I can tell someone changed something...yes...but that's my OCD.

In all honesty, yes, that is rude.  I wouldn't be upset about her comments, because maybe she just likes your job and needs a full time gig...but definitely would about her moving stuff. You know...come in with new pics of your LO and rearrange anyway.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • imagemommatotwo2:
    Sorry I should have been more clear- she didn't move my pictures, I took my pics home with me. It's more that she moved around my files and my "system" that I'm annoyed with. I also find it weird that she did this when I'm about to return to work.

Oh he// no!

• imagemommatotwo2:
    Sorry I should have been more clear- she didn't move my pictures, I took my pics home with me.
    I have to wonder if somewhere in some conversation that somehow this came up.  She may have commented that it's odd that there's nothing personal on your desk and someone said that there was stuff, but you took it home.  So she may be thinking/hoping there actually is a good chance you aren't going back.

Still VERY presumptuous of her to rearrange your stuff, but I wonder if that might be why she now, only 4 weeks out, did this. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• If be irritated about moving my work stuff around for sure.

• imageNicb13:
    imageNetty_3:

Seeing as it bothers me if my blinds aren't the same level or if I can tell someone changed something...yes...but that's my OCD.

In all honesty, yes, that is rude.  I wouldn't be upset about her comments, because maybe she just likes your job and needs a full time gig...but definitely would about her moving stuff. You know...come in with new pics of your LO and rearrange anyway.  

IMO, people need to lighten up!! It's a desk, and some files, it's not the end of the world. Tell her she needs to move them back. How the heck is that rude? Rude is the temp saying the OP is a b*tch and she better keep her baby having arse at home where she belongs (or something like that!). This temp is a worker just like anyone else and maybe she needed to move them in order to do her job correctly.

Right -- and she may be planning to move them back before OP's return.  4 weeks is still a long time and if she's trying to do a good job, having stuff in the places where it makes sense to her isn't crazy.

Also agree with the PP who said of course she hopes you decide to stay home -- that would mean she gets a permanent job without displacing anyone!  Rude would be "I hope they realize I'm doing a better job than OP and let me keep this position and move her to the mail room when she gets back."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'd be a little annoyed, but I guess it would be no big deal to me. I second the suggestion of bringing in new photos of your baby. On a side note, It doesn't surprise me that she doesn't want you to come back, I'm sure she's just hoping to get a permanent job out of the deal.
    photo 9de7615e-e1c7-4dc7-be37-5cc4c9e4e703_zpse37bbba7.jpg AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Was she supposed to sit at your desk and work there but not actually touch anything? I wouldn't worry about it.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Thanks for the perspective everyone. I am annoyed, but like most everyone said, I'll just bring back my pictures and make it my own space again. I am nervous that I won't be able to find the crap she moved around, but I guess in time it will get back to where it belongs. I work for a major micro manager that is really serious about deadlines and whatnot- so I'm concerned that not having my "system" in place is going to make efficiency difficult, but hopefully my boss will be understanding and give me a little time to "get back in the game".

To the pp that said maybe she thought I wasn't planning to come back because I took my pics down and stuff- I'm not really sure why I did that, it just felt like I should take my things home when I was going to be gone for 3 months. But you'd better believe I'll put a bunch of pictures of my girls up when I return :)

• Maybe she has been trying to make your system work for her and it just isn't anymore - so in order to do a good job for the next 4 weeks she moved some things around. 

It really isn't that big of a deal.

When I did long term sub jobs, I always rearranged a few things to make it work for me.   I did however move things back before I left to make sure they fit the needs of the returning teacher.

Oh and of course she s hoping you are not coming back.  She is a temp, most likely looking for a permanent job. 

I really wouldn't worry about it.  When you go back- you are going to need to do some re-organizing, no  matter how she left it. 

Dude, you should see my classroom sometimes just after a day of being gone and having a sub.  Many times it isn't pretty.  But, that's kind of the way the cookie crumbles when you have someone else in your space.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• This exact same thing happened to me when I returned to work form my first ML. It made me very angry! My entire office and filing system was messed up. It took me forever to find everything and put it back in it's correct place.
  • imagechristel811:
    imageNicb13:
    imageNetty_3:

Seeing as it bothers me if my blinds aren't the same level or if I can tell someone changed something...yes...but that's my OCD.

IMO, people need to lighten up!! It's a desk, and some files, it's not the end of the world. Tell her she needs to move them back. How the heck is that rude? Rude is the temp saying the OP is a b*tch and she better keep her baby having arse at home where she belongs (or something like that!). This temp is a worker just like anyone else and maybe she needed to move them in order to do her job correctly.

I agree with Nicb. It really isn't that serious.  When I was on maternity leave my whole desk was packed up and was in boxes in the hallway. (Our group was being moved).

I guess my bad...this is why I'm glad no one has any business in my space or messing around in my files in the first place...because I am very particular.  And it would frustrate me if someone temporary came in and decided to change my filing system. IT's hard enough getting caught up on everything when you come back after a while...but to not be able to find things too...I just do, but that's me...like I said, rearrange your desk anyway...which apparently wasn't the case.

• SoMoNYSoMoNY member

I'd let it go.

Its only your desk when you are there working.

• I feel worrying about this sort of thing is pretty petty.  She is using your desk for 3 months, of course she might want to arrange things differently or put some her stuff up.  It will probably take 10 minutes to fix it when you get back, no big deal IMHO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks gals. She's a temp in my position, but she works elsewhere in the company as a part time employee and picked up hours to cover my position while I'm gone. She is fairly new to the company and really goes overboard trying to suck up and fit in- which I know is hard not to do when you are new, you just want things to work out, so I tried to cut her some slack there. So she actually has her own space, but at another desk. I'm just not sure why she had to come in and take over my space. You're all right, there isn't anything for me to handle, but I'm definitely feeling a bit out of the loop and nervous. It's probably not helpful that we don't have access to our email at all while on FMLA and while I've been out, 5 people have quit, and 2 have been fired. Most of which were on my direct team, so with the instability of everything, I guess I'm just feeling extra sensitive about the whole deal.
  • imagebearsbearsbears:
    My only opinion on this is the coworker who told you this information is just looking to stir sh*t up. 

Ha- I was thinking the same thing, why did someone text you to tattle about this? Weird.

My opinion is the same as others- she's a temp/part time person who wants more hours, can you blame her for hoping you don't come back so she can continue w/ the additional hours? It isn't personal about you, she just wants a full time job maybe. At my last job there was a person who was rather verbal about wanting a part of my job, it wasn't about me, it was about wanting that specific role...and when I left, she got it...but I never felt like they were going to take it away from me or something when I still worked there.

As for personal items, I think she's entitled to have a few things to make her area more pleasant/'hers', it's not like they're a permanent part of your desk that won't leave with her. Rearranging--- how big is your desk that you won't be able to find things??? I'm confused about this. The only thing I could see being a pain would be a full overhaul of a filing system if you are talking about a filing cabinet but that seems kind of hard to believe. What exactly do you think you won't be able to find in a desk? 

• imagegroovygrl:

imagebearsbearsbears:
    My only opinion on this is the coworker who told you this information is just looking to stir sh*t up. 

Ha- I was thinking the same thing, why did someone text you to tattle about this? Weird.

My opinion is the same as others- she's a temp/part time person who wants more hours, can you blame her for hoping you don't come back so she can continue w/ the additional hours? It isn't personal about you, she just wants a full time job maybe. At my last job there was a person who was rather verbal about wanting a part of my job, it wasn't about me, it was about wanting that specific role...and when I left, she got it...but I never felt like they were going to take it away from me or something when I still worked there.

As for personal items, I think she's entitled to have a few things to make her area more pleasant/'hers', it's not like they're a permanent part of your desk that won't leave with her. Rearranging--- how big is your desk that you won't be able to find things??? I'm confused about this. The only thing I could see being a pain would be a full overhaul of a filing system if you are talking about a filing cabinet but that seems kind of hard to believe. What exactly do you think you won't be able to find in a desk? 

Yeah I guess I don't know what type of rearranging she did. I have a lot of files and a really specific way of organizing things. I'm an admin assistant for an extremely busy client and when I came on board a year and a half ago there was no system whatsoever, it took me months to get it to the point it's at now.

I see now that I overreacted and you guys are right, the coworkers that texted me probably shouldn't have, that was pretty stupid. 

• Not a big deal at all.  How long will it take you to get organized again?  Maybe half a day?  Don't worry about it. 
  • You are not there so you are not sure how much your organizational system has been changed. If you are that worried about it, maybe you could go in the day before your ML is up to go over everything with her. If that's not possible, at least she works within the company so you can still meet with her.

If your "system" was so important, did you explain or leave details on why it should be kept that way?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"