May 2013 Moms

Religion

After reading on a post earlier about saying prayer with baby before bed had me thinking... Although we say our prayers every night, we have not been with Abbie to church since birth...ours has no infant room and it was a stressful experience the one attempt we had...and we have not included her in saying prayers together. Once we've got her on a bottle going will make things easier and as she grows older I envision outing becoming less stressful making church no problem. I know she will have some understanding of religion from that and the biblical story books we have, but I stopped short on how to teach those things. I have no recollection of how I was taught as a child and neither does husband.

So, how, if you are, are you incorporating religion or faith into your child's life? How and when are you planning to talk about it?

Also, to whoever talked about prayers, thank you for bringing it up. We plan on bringing that into our evening routine starting tonight.

Not looking for lectures on having her learn faith and choose religion on her own...

Re: Religion

• We pray every night at bedtime. He has a kids bible and we tell him about Jesus in small ways. He now at two and a half goes to a chirch Mother's Day out. I watch church at lifechurch.tv it's so so good! I love the preacher and he's funny! They are around the u.s. and great, keeps me in the loop while with a newborn
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are having Abby christened on Sunday. We do say prayers with her every night since she had just started going to sleep at the same time each night. I haven't taken her to church yet because there is a lot of parishioners and I'm afraid she will start crying and they don't have an infant room
  • Loading the player...
  • I went to a Lutheran school from 3 yo through 8th grade. Chapel every Wednesday , Sunday school and church every Sunday.. Early service, front row! Plus a religion class every day... It was a little much for me and ended up getting very burnt out with it all and stopped going when i was 16 , until just recently . Ten years later.. I am learning from that experience that I do not want to do that to my children. I do take them both to church now, my 3yo goes to the nursery and I just keep my 3 month old with me and will continue to until she is unable to sit still or keep quiet. So far she is very good and sleeps most of the time . I will start both of them in Sunday school when they are old enough, 4 I believe is when my church starts it.

Also my church does not baptize when they are babies. They have dedication ceremonies , which is pretty much saying that they are going to grow up in the church and knowing the Bible. Then the child / adult can choose when and if they want to be baptized. When they can really understand their faith.

With my 3yo we pray every night , we keep it simple. We pray for our family and friends and of course to be good :D.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yeah we will be doing a dedication once we make it back to church and will have her in nursery until she's old enough for Sunday school. I was just curious about how you start talking about it with them. Being a constant church goer as a child doesn't mean they know why they are going. And talking about it at home instead of having it only discussed on Sundays is the other question...
  • imageMrsM1111:
    Yeah we will be doing a dedication once we make it back to church and will have her in nursery until she's old enough for Sunday school. I was just curious about how you start talking about it with them. Being a constant church goer as a child doesn't mean they know why they are going. And talking about it at home instead of having it only discussed on Sundays is the other question...

I will talk with them about what they learned in Sunday school, elaborate on it a little throughout the week and then when they have those kind of questions , I will tell them the reason why I go, why I take them and why i would like for them to continue to go too.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • At this point, we pray every night and read Bible stories at bedtime. We will also take LO to church. At first, we will just be teaching her the stories of our faith, but that will naturally develop into deeper conversations as she grows up. And ultimately if she chooses not to adopt our religion, I will be sad, but it will be up to her and I'll respect her conclusions.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo f2800575-8c12-4491-8194-153c04d585b8_zps49b02af4.jpg
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My daughter is almost two months old but I pray with her. I haven't brought her to church.. I will but I want to wait until she is on enough of a schedule so I can bring her during a time she won't be screaming. My sons started going to church at several months old. There is a children's program in our church and she will attend Catholic school. At home we will also read from her children's bible story book.
  • We take her to church with us.  When she is older, we plan of having her go to Sunday School, but will ultimately let her make her own decision regarding her belief.

ETA:  Rachel's dedication is Sunday.

My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

• pnutgpnutg member
    Now I feel bad that I don't pray with my baby. Although I pray over him all the time. I'm excited to teach him about the Lord and I would love for him to go to a private christian school for the first few years to help establish a strong foundation.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"