February 2013 Moms
Options

CD beginner, please help!

I am getting  ready to start cloth diapering my LO.  I am stumped right now on the following:

Which detergent?  I have an HE washer, I am budget conscious.  Do I need an ammonia bouncer?

What to I need to have in the diaper bag for diapering on the go?

How many inserts?  I am thinking I will start with a dozen  one-size pocket diapers and they each come with and insert, should I get more?

When do I need to start using the diaper sprayer?  Any recommendations?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
View Full Size Image

Re: CD beginner, please help!

• Options

We just started, but Alva diapers are super affordable! (and are pockets)

I just use Gain detergent, but there are some out there that are much better for your diapers. We just don't have allergy issues with it like every other brand. It's not a suggested one though. :)

Diaper bag - wet bag, wipes, extra diapers

Get a couple extra inserts in case you need to double up.  I just bought microfiber cloths 2 for $1 at the Dollar tree, tri-folded them, and stitched the sides.  Exact same thing.  They work great.

When they start solid foods. Bidet sprayers are cheaper at the hardware store and are the same thing. (or if you use formula. EBF poop is the only one you don't have to spray.)

Get some cloth wipes! Much easier because you can stick in diaper and wash vs finding a trashcan.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

We use Charlie's Soap on all our laundry now, I like it a lot so far, but it IS a bit pricy - I think either $14 or $15 for a cannister that does 80 large loads, so it's like 18-19 cents a load.  But I like that's it's a clean-rinsing detergent (no residue) and we save so much money by using cloth diapers that I don't mind.  And it is fine to use with an HE washer.   

We primarily use prefolds, so I'm not really much help with pockets, we have pocket diapers as back-ups, but that's it.  But we have 24 prefolds and are now doing laundry every 3rd day.  

As far as wipes, we use disposable wipes and just stick the dirty ones in a plastic bag hanging next to the wetbag in DD's room, and toss it out when it gets full and/or smelly (but we still EBF, so it pretty much always gets full before it smells).

I'm actually considering switching to cloth wipes for while we're on the go, because half the time I just end up sticking dirty disposable wipes in the wetbag with the diaper, since a lot of the time there's nowhere else to put them!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Everyone pretty much hit all your points, but one thing I wanted to add is that if you're breastfeeding, you can use breastmilk on diaper rashes and it doesn't harm your cloth diapers. It's also very inexpensive. :)
  • Options

I only use Applecheeks pocket diapers, but I don't use them as a pocket system. I only use them as a prefold and cover system. That way I can change the insert if it's wet and use the shell again. I for this purpose, I need more inserts. I think I have about 26. 

I have a HE frontload washer and use Tide free and gentle.

I keep 1 insert for every 2 hours I'm going to be gone, plus a new cover for every other change. So, for example, if I'm gone 6 hours, I bring 3 inserts and 2 (round up) covers.  LO doesn't poop a ton, so this is always safe for me. 

As for the diaper sprayer, we have one, and its very handy. On the other hand, you could use the biodegradable liners and just be able to take the poop out on that and throw it. Any poop that did get around the liner is usually minimal.  

Good luck!  PS: AppleCheeks are the best!!  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I use Tide regular detergent, powder. I haven't had any issues with it! 

In the diaper bag I have a small wet bag, extra diapers, and a hard covered wipes travel case with a few pre-moistened cloth wipes (actually they are just cheap baby washcloths, which work great as wipes! And then you don't have to worry about putting disposable ones in a separate place or having them accidentally go through the wash)

We started with pre folds and covers but now use primarily pockets. We have 15 pocket diapers and that usually has me washing every other day if I don't use any covers and prefolds. You might want a few extra inserts for over night diapers. We double up so I don't have to change a diaper in the middle of the night. As a PP mentioned, you can also trifold a prefold and use that as another insert. (Bonus: prefolds are a bargain!)

DD on solids yet, so I haven't gotten a diaper sprayer.  

Hope that helps! We have LOVED cloth diapering! I get a little satisfaction every time I throw a load in the laundry, knowing that I didn't have to go out and buy more diapers.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
    Lucy Kate 2/9/13
    m/c 12/30/11 - our Christmas baby
  • Options

Which detergent?  I have an HE washer, I am budget conscious.  Do I need an ammonia bouncer?
    A lot of places recommend Tide powder now.

What to I need to have in the diaper bag for diapering on the go?

Diapers, wipes, wetbag.  We use baby wash cloths for wipes, so I bring water with us (like my bottled water that I drink).

How many inserts?  I am thinking I will start with a dozen  one-size pocket diapers and they each come with and insert, should I get more?

If you feel like you need more, I would recommend some hemp or bamboo ones.  Microfiber absorbs pee quickly, but it doesn't hold it in quite as well.  For DS2, we do one mf insert and then a hemp one behind it.  DD only needs the mf right now.

When do I need to start using the diaper sprayer?  Any recommendations?

When you start solid foods.

Married to J since 5/05, Mommy to T (10/08), L (08/10) and C (02/13) who was born at home.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"