February 2013 Moms

"Lovey" benefits

What's the benefits to LOs having a "lovey"? I know lots of kids with them, so I know they had to introduced at some point. Just curious. DS doesn't have anything at this point.
"Sweat is my sanity". Sarah Palin "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised". Proverbs 31:30 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: "Lovey" benefits

• I have been working on giving dd a lovey. So far she could care less. Ds had one that really helped him sleep better. Now that one has turned into having 20 stuffed "friends" in the bed with him every time he sleeps!
                    Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
  • Yeah mine has a lovey. Didn't even mean it to happen. It's a little monkey blankie/rattle. I think it was my favorite of his toys so I just started toting it around more. It's also the stuffed animal I bring to comfort him after shots so that kinda sealed the deal ;)
    Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
  • Loading the player...
  • DS hasn't taken to anything yet, and right now that works for everyone. My almost 8 year old niece has had a small blanket that she's used as a lovey since birth, and lemme tell ya, it ain't pretty when it goes missing for a little while. If DS does become attached to something, I won't keep it from him, but for now he goes to bed with nothing and if it's not broken, no need to fix it.
  • DD doesn't have anything yet. We rotate between lots of different toys when we go out or even just playing around the house, so she hasn't become attached to any one thing. We also don't put any blankets or toys in the crib. I kind of assumed that as she gets older and prefers certain toys over others, and we allow her to have something in the crib, she'll pick a lovie.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• DItto what the pp's have said.  I think DS was between 1 - 1 1/2 when he really started to get attached to his "lovey" (blanket).

He mostly uses it for sleeping or when he gets upset.  As pp said, its great for when he's mad/in trouble, it helps him calm down.

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

• My girls each attached to a specific blanket at a very young age. I neither introduced nor pushed it, but they both had a very specific preference by 4 months or so. They were so attached that I had to get a second for each of them in order to wash them!

With my son, after seeing how the girls were, I chose a blanket that I always put with him and preemptively got a second one. 

The advantage is is that no matter where we go, who they're with, what the situation is they are able to cuddle up with their blankies and be comforted. It often helps them sleep in unfamiliar locations (even at almost 6 and 4). 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS sort of has a lovie. It's a little frog that attaches to his binky. It's super soft and he loves to rub it over his face. Kid's a weirdo. :P 

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Dd has favorites for a while then it changes. She currently hasn't had one for about a month. for the longest time it was Owl from Winnie the Pooh.

Ds has a blankie thing with a flower in the middle and it is pink. Did got a bunch of these kind of loveys and didn't like them so I was testing it out before I bought him one. He loves it. And I kept forgetting to buy him a boy one. Then when I finally did, he was too attached to his flower. I don't mind him having agirlie toy, but people do make comments, so I don't like to take it any where
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"