April 2013 Moms

UO or judgements?

Share your UO and/or judgments! See if you can actually come up with something that prompts some debate, other than vaccines. Mine isn't particularly controversial.

It is ridiculous to me when people buy stuff at farmers markets that clearly isn't local. If it is the same package of blueberries you could get at Super Target, why buy it from a person at a farmers market? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the farmers market i.e., buying local?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: UO or judgements?

• imageKate_C:
    Share your UO and/or judgments! See if you can actually come up with something that prompts some debate, other than vaccines. Mine isn't particularly controversial. It is ridiculous to me when people buy stuff at farmers markets that clearly isn't local. If it is the same package of blueberries you could get at Super Target, why buy it from a person at a farmers market? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the farmers market i.e., buying local?

yes!! I have seen produce at the farmer's market with the coded stickers on them!! What the heck???

My (maybe) UO... I met a friend for drinks last night and she was telling me how she went to pick up her daughter (15 months old) from daycare yesterday and the lights were off. WHen she went into the room, 15 little kids were sitting on chairs in front of the TV. I started to respond with outrage, but then she kept talking and I realized that she wasn't angry, but was actually in awe that her daughter was sitting still watching tv because "I can't get her to do that at home." I personally won't let my DS watch TV until he is 2 (but I will say that he is my only child, and the situation would be trickier for me if I had an older child, too). Anyway, if I walked in on my child sitting in front of the tv at daycare, I would pull him out of there so fast.... I'm sorry, if I wanted him to be babysat by the tv, I wouldn't be paying someone else to do it!

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • i said this last week but I'll add it again.... toddlers with soothers! if you remember me speaking of this  last week, the same woman posted a video of her pushing her daughter on the swing, with that damn soother in her mouth again! is this necessary? doesn't she want to hear her child laugh and babble in glee, instead of muffling behind a soother? having it for bedtime/comfort is one thing, but during playtime???
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • imagepinottoparenthood:

yes!! I have seen produce at the farmer's market with the coded stickers on them!! What the heck???

My (maybe) UO... I met a friend for drinks last night and she was telling me how she went to pick up her daughter (15 months old) from daycare yesterday and the lights were off. WHen she went into the room, 15 little kids were sitting on chairs in front of the TV. I started to respond with outrage, but then she kept talking and I realized that she wasn't angry, but was actually in awe that her daughter was sitting still watching tv because "I can't get her to do that at home." I personally won't let my DS watch TV until he is 2 (but I will say that he is my only child, and the situation would be trickier for me if I had an older child, too). Anyway, if I walked in on my child sitting in front of the tv at daycare, I would pull him out of there so fast.... I'm sorry, if I wanted him to be babysat by the tv, I wouldn't be paying someone else to do it!

All I have to say to that is good luck!  I hope you don't watch TV ever, because it's really hard to keep your kiddo away from it. 

As for the end of the day the kids watching TV at daycare.  I do not have a problem with this if it's the end of the day and the regular activities are over.  It's probably just something to calm the kids down while they wait for pick up.  Pick up is chaotic at best and if you can keep the kids contained while other sare getting picked up, things work so much better.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• imagekgs0505:
    imagepinottoparenthood:

All I have to say to that is good luck!  I hope you don't watch TV ever, because it's really hard to keep your kiddo away from it. 

As for the end of the day the kids watching TV at daycare.  I do not have a problem with this if it's the end of the day and the regular activities are over.  It's probably just something to calm the kids down while they wait for pick up.  Pick up is chaotic at best and if you can keep the kids contained while other sare getting picked up, things work so much better.

I have to agree with this. i used to work at a child care center and on rainy days, we'd make popcorn and have a movie day after all the regular activities were done. it wasn't done on a regular basis, but sometimes it's nice to have some quiet time. 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Not so serious ones: 

-It really irks me when kids yell and hit their parents and they are not corrected for it.

-I dislike how my little cousins are glued to the tv, tablets, and video games. Part of it is my fault because when I was at my highlight with gaming, they were living in the same house as me so they played with me when I wasn't being serious.

-Facebook and people's statues irritate me most times, lol.

-I dislike it when overweight people want to lose weight, so they just eat one salad a day.. I keep telling my mom she doesn't need to do that and follow what I did if anything, but she believes if she eats just a salad and jello, that is fine. Setting up for failure.

-I am not fond of: "Three number ones, and a diet coke, that is for here" >_>... for one person.

-I dislike people doing curls in the squat rack.. oh my god, this place is for your legs, not your overachieved arms. Now please move your chicken legs out of my way, I need to do squats!

-I have road rage, I hate it when people come to  a complete stop before turning into a driveway or another street (and there is no stop sign).. please veer into the driveway not stop in a two lane street when the speed limit is 50.

Some serious ones: 

-I think child molesters and abusers need to have their stuff cut off with a dull knife, then placed in front of them for the only thing they can eat. 'nuff said.

-I hate people who abuse elderly people in homes or hospitals. I used to work for an ombudsman, so I would take calls for people mistreated in care facilities. Let me just say I really hate those that make grown elderly men sob on the phone, telling me that they are hurting him and he has nobody else to go to.

• imagekgs0505:
    imagepinottoparenthood:

...if I walked in on my child sitting in front of the tv at daycare, I would pull him out of there so fast.... I'm sorry, if I wanted him to be babysat by the tv, I wouldn't be paying someone else to do it!

Aaaaaaaand this is why we don't own a TV. I would pull my kid from that daycare too. Instantly.

What drives me nuts is when we go to the park and women are using cell phones to let LO watch tv. Are you kidding? You're AT THE PARK! Get off your bottoms and go run around!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • imageskidderdo:
    imagekgs0505:
    imagepinottoparenthood:

...if I walked in on my child sitting in front of the tv at daycare, I would pull him out of there so fast.... I'm sorry, if I wanted him to be babysat by the tv, I wouldn't be paying someone else to do it!

Aaaaaaaand this is why we don't own a TV. I would pull my kid from that daycare too. Instantly. What drives me nuts is when we go to the park and women are using cell phones to let LO watch tv. Are you kidding? You're AT THE PARK! Get off your bottoms and go run around!

Hahaha, seriously. To the pp, I do not watch TV in front of my DS. I did when he was really little, but once he started noticing it, I turned it off. I will admit that occasionally my DH will watch sports on the weekends when DS is in the room. I know I can't shield it from him 100%, but I will do my very best, even though it means I have to turn off my HGTV and Bravo :-( 

Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Kate_CKate_C member
    imageskidderdo:

What drives me nuts is when we go to the park and women are using cell phones to let LO watch tv. Are you kidding? You're AT THE PARK! Get off your bottoms and go run around!

People do that? Bizarre. Or how about the sad tables in restaurants where everyone in the family is on some sort of electronic device? Stop texting each other across the table for heaven's sake.
  • It's been a while, but my UO is that when someone other than me is holding my baby and he starts crying, it really grates on my nerves when the person holding him says 'its ok, I don't mind crying' . Sorry, but I DO mind the crying. My LO doesn't cry for no reason, so give me back my baby so I can fix it! And it's usually a fight to get him back!
  • To the comment about kids hitting their parents.... If said parents are hitting their kids, where do you think they got it from? They are being taught its ok to hit someone if they don't like what the other person is doing
  • imageJillibean68:
    It's been a while, but my UO is that when someone other than me is holding my baby and he starts crying, it really grates on my nerves when the person holding him says 'its ok, I don't mind crying' . Sorry, but I DO mind the crying. My LO doesn't cry for no reason, so give me back my baby so I can fix it! And it's usually a fight to get him back!

ughh that is SO annoying! My MIL is the worst with this... To give her credit, she does try to comfort him... But when I am standing right there, he doesn't want her; he wants me... Hand him over!! My DH has had to tell his mom, " maybe you should give the baby to Amanda, I think he wants his mom." And then she acts surprised when he stops crying for me... Duh. I'm his mother. 

Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Kate_CKate_C member
    Here's one that probably is controversial. It bothers me when people get all enraged about a jury verdict and suggest that the lawyers involved somehow caused an unjust result. Examples, the McDonalds coffee case or the Casey Anthony or Treyvon Martin case. I've got news for you...those cases are decided by juries, not the lawyers. You do the jury system an injustice to suggest that the jurors didn't fairly listen to all the evidence and try to make a fair decision based on the instructions they were given about the law. The jurors in the Martin case probably made a correct decision under Florida's stand your ground law. If the end result was unjust, that's because of a failing in the underlying law, not the jury trial system.
  • imageRussianMommy:
    To the comment about kids hitting their parents.... If said parents are hitting their kids, where do you think they got it from? They are being taught its ok to hit someone if they don't like what the other person is doing

The children I may specifically be talking about, their parents are firm believers of not hitting nor disciplining their children in any way.

• Kate_CKate_C member
    imageRussianMommy:
    To the comment about kids hitting their parents.... If said parents are hitting their kids, where do you think they got it from? They are being taught its ok to hit someone if they don't like what the other person is doing

Not sure I'm entirely tracking you here. Are you suggesting that only kids who have been hit by their parents will hit other people? Or that parents who don't reprimand their kids are probably ok with hitting and do it themselves? My toddler is a hitter. We do reprimand him for it, but he still does it when he's tired or mad. It's an age thing. He has never been hit or spanked. I agree that it would be rather counterintuitive to tell him no hitting if we punished him by hitting.
  • imageKate_C:
    Here's one that probably is controversial. It bothers me when people get all enraged about a jury verdict and suggest that the lawyers involved somehow caused an unjust result. Examples, the McDonalds coffee case or the Casey Anthony or Treyvon Martin case. I've got news for you...those cases are decided by juries, not the lawyers. You do the jury system an injustice to suggest that the jurors didn't fairly listen to all the evidence and try to make a fair decision based on the instructions they were given about the law. The jurors in the Martin case probably made a correct decision under Florida's stand your ground law. If the end result was unjust, that's because of a failing in the underlying law, not the jury trial system.

I think when people say it was the lawyer's fault, meaning they thought the prosecuting didn't put up enough evidence.. they probably feel like they should have waited until they have more concrete evidence. 

• imageKate_C:
    imageRussianMommy:
    Not sure I'm entirely tracking you here. Are you suggesting that only kids who have been hit by their parents will hit other people? Or that parents who don't reprimand their kids are probably ok with hitting and do it themselves? My toddler is a hitter. We do reprimand him for it, but he still does it when he's tired or mad. It's an age thing. He has never been hit or spanked. I agree that it would be rather counterintuitive to tell him no hitting if we punished him by hitting.

See you actively try to stop it. I agree with you it is an age thing. What makes me mad are those who do not do anything about it and I see them getting worse and worse each visit.

• imageKate_C:
    imageRussianMommy:

No, I'm specifically talking about parents who hit their kids
  • Kate_CKate_C member
    imageClandestineX:
    See you actively try to stop it. I agree with you it is an age thing. What makes me mad are those who do not do anything about it and I see them getting worse and worse each visit.

I gotcha. My FIL drives me BSC crazy with this because he laughs whenever DS belts him in the face. You can't do that with a toddler. He doesn't understand why it's ok to hit grandpa, but he gets in trouble when he hits his baby sister or one of his buddies at daycare. Rules have to be consistently enforced to be effective.
  • imageJollyWife:

My UO: until you've experienced the toddler years with your child, you have no idea what they will be like.  Things that seem very straightforward to you now will get a lot more complicated.  (soothers, discipline, tv, etc.)

I guess that is true to a point, though with some of us.. just because it is our first child, doesn't mean we've never had experience with other children. Sure, having your own is different... but if you raised kids in the past... is it so different from your own? The only thing I could see.. and is way different are the recommendations that doctors give you for many things. 

• imageJollyWife:
    imageClandestineX:
    imageJollyWife:

My UO: until you've experienced the toddler years with your child, you have no idea what they will be like.  Things that seem very straightforward to you now will get a lot more complicated.  (soothers, discipline, tv, etc.)

I guess that is true to a point, though with some of us.. just because it is our first child, doesn't mean we've never had experience with other children. Sure, having your own is different... but if you raised kids in the past... is it so different from your own? The only thing I could see.. and is way different are the recommendations that doctors give you for many things. 

Yep, totally different unless it's your own child or a step child you raised from close to birth. Experience "raising" someone else's kid doesn't count. 

I think it does count when you raised them 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for a few years straight. Especially when the parents weren't involved at all. 

• imageJollyWife:

As in foster care? 

No, as in getting the children out of a bad situation until the mother could figure out what she wanted to do in her life... and grow up. 

• Kate_CKate_C member
    imageJollyWife:
    My UO: until you've experienced the toddler years with your child, you have no idea what they will be like. nbsp;Things that seem very straightforward to you now will get a lot more complicated. nbsp;soothers, discipline, tv, etc.nbsp;

Very true. But I was totally a Judgy McJudgerson before I had a toddler and said I wouldn't do TV etc. Now I thank the good lord for Sprout channel. I think it's pretty normal to have the "I will nevers" before you've BTDT.
  • imageJollyWife:
    imageClandestineX:
    imageJollyWife:

As in foster care? 

No, as in getting the children out of a bad situation until the mother could figure out what she wanted to do in her life... and grow up. 

Well, not sure.  But the point is that having "your own" child, where you are responsible for them indefinitely and as a parent, is different when it comes to all the "I would never..."s and "how can they..."s.

I guess however you want to construe the first part, the second part stands. 

While I agree that being a parent and knowing you have to take care of this little person your entire life is a different feeling. I plan on disciplining him the same as I did for my five cousins, I feel most strongly about this because once I handed them back they got bad again and now the older ones are doing drugs (I wasn't talking about them in my above post though, someone totally different). While I hardly experienced the infant stages with them, I took them when the youngest was 1 1/2. This.. the baby stages are different for me, thus all of my questions and mistakes. Even if you raise 10 children, the 11th you will make a mistake a some point. I know this, but I also know what I want out of my child when he gets older and what needs to be done to do so. 

• imageJollyWife:

That is so true... even with just two and everyone telling me that every child is different I was still caught off guard lol. 

Lol.

For the record, in my original post the kid needing discipline is 10 and his siblings are following his foot steps. Toddlers are toddlers... I don't expect anyone to get anything done when they are that young. If you are trying your best, then that is all you can do. And in the end, you are the best! =)

• imagekravenmoore:
    nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;I do not like it when people do not want to give T up when he is crying. nbsp;I take him away anyway, without giving in, but it irritates me when people do not just automatically hand him over. nbsp;I believe it is my job to soothe himnbsp;and I want to do this. nbsp;Even when people other than my husband try to soothe him, I get this boiling fire in my blood. nbsp;The rage... rawr! nbsp;:nbsp;

Maybe they are just trying to give you a break?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    imageimageimage
  • imageJillibean68:
    It's been a while, but my UO is that when someone other than me is holding my baby and he starts crying, it really grates on my nerves when the person holding him says 'its ok, I don't mind crying' . Sorry, but I DO mind the crying. My LO doesn't cry for no reason, so give me back my baby so I can fix it! And it's usually a fight to get him back!

You're baby has never cries for no reason despite feeding, changing, swaddling, shushing, etc? I'm jealous.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagercantor:
    imageJillibean68:
    You're baby has never cries for no reason despite feeding, changing, swaddling, shushing, etc? I'm jealous.

i dont believe babies cry for no reason. there is always a reason. 

• imageClandestineX:

Not so serious ones: 

-It really irks me when kids yell and hit their parents and they are not corrected for it.

-I dislike how my little cousins are glued to the tv, tablets, and video games. Part of it is my fault because when I was at my highlight with gaming, they were living in the same house as me so they played with me when I wasn't being serious.

-Facebook and people's statues irritate me most times, lol.

-I dislike it when overweight people want to lose weight, so they just eat one salad a day.. I keep telling my mom she doesn't need to do that and follow what I did if anything, but she believes if she eats just a salad and jello, that is fine. Setting up for failure.

-I am not fond of: "Three number ones, and a diet coke, that is for here" >_>... for one person.

-I dislike people doing curls in the squat rack.. oh my god, this place is for your legs, not your overachieved arms. Now please move your chicken legs out of my way, I need to do squats!

-I have road rage, I hate it when people come to  a complete stop before turning into a driveway or another street (and there is no stop sign).. please veer into the driveway not stop in a two lane street when the speed limit is 50.

Some serious ones: 

-I think child molesters and abusers need to have their stuff cut off with a dull knife, then placed in front of them for the only thing they can eat. 'nuff said.

-I hate people who abuse elderly people in homes or hospitals. I used to work for an ombudsman, so I would take calls for people mistreated in care facilities. Let me just say I really hate those that make grown elderly men sob on the phone, telling me that they are hurting him and he has nobody else to go to.

clandestinex I think you're my lady soul mate!!!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imagetondraluv:

clandestinex I think you're my lady soul mate!!!! 

<3 I say the same when I see your posts!  

• imageRussianMommy:

imagercantor:
    imageJillibean68:

i dont believe babies cry for no reason. there is always a reason.&nbsp;

You must be wonder mom then.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagercantor:
    imageJillibean68:

The only time he did cry without being easily comforted was after his 2 month shots. I'm super lucky to have such an easy going baby. If he's crying its because he's hungry, over tired or had a wet diaper.
  • I hate it when people uses children that they've "practically raised" as examples of their parenting. I've been there, done that and have both tshirts. They are not the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageClandestineX:

imageKate_C:

I think when people say it was the lawyer's fault, meaning they thought the prosecuting didn't put up enough evidence.. they probably feel like they should have waited until they have more concrete evidence. 

I agree with all of this except the part that bugs the sh!t out of me is when politicians get involved in something they have no damn business in - such as the Martin case.  The prosecutors said from the beginning they didn't have enough of a case to win!  Politicians said do it anyway... so they lose and now look how disrupted and divided our society is over this case.  Another example would be the baseball steroid situation with Clemens - why the eff congress was wasting our money and time on that is beyond me.

I regret that I was such a judgy mcjudgerson (as someone else put it) before having a kid.  I was that person who cringed in a restaurant when I heard a kid throwing a fit.  It made DH super sensitive to that and now when DS makes a peep he wants one of us to take him outside.  DH is getting better about it... but it's my fault he annoys me about that now.  Plus now I get that you generally can't help it.  

I secretly laugh when parents or people who aren't parents yet play "I will never..." because that's the first thing to happen when you swear it won't.  I try to stick with "I'd really like to avoid..." and hope for the best.  I thought I'd do the whole 'no watching tv until you're older' but I don't see that sticking anymore.

I also hate when I see families at dinner and every single one of them is on their phone or electronic device instead of communicating.  

• They should redefine the word and job description of a politician because I have not seen a true one in my lifetime. If any I read in books count, real politicians died off in the 60's.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"