February 2013 Moms

Let me be judgey please.

My cousin just put a picture on fb of her 6 mo old eating beef jerky. *eye twitching*

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Let me be judgey please.

• Baby led weaning. It is awesome. Agreed, probably a lot of salt though
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • At the grocery store this morning, the cashier asked me if I was giving DD baby food yet, and I said no. She replied that she has 3 young children and started them on cereal at ONE WEEK OLD, then baby food at 2 months!!! It "helped them sleep better at night." I had to consciously make an effort to not let my eyes get big and my mouth drop open.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Loading the player...
  • BBS!BBS! member
    My guess is the baby just chewed on it and it helped the teething. I don't judge feeding rice cereal early either. our parents generation did it and we all ended up ok. Did I do it- No but it doesn't mean that I look down on those who do. Parenting is tough. Lets not make it harder by judging each other.
  • imageBBS!:
    My guess is the baby just chewed on it and it helped the teething. I don't judge feeding rice cereal early either. our parents generation did it and we all ended up ok. Did I do it No but it doesn't mean that I look down on those who do. Parenting is tough. Lets not make it harder by judging each other.

Starting cereal a little early is one thing, especially if there's reflux or something going on. Starting as soon as they are born? Yeah, I judge that a bit.

• This made me LOL.  Will the person that has *never* judged someone else ever in their life please stand up? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Yeah I let him suck on stuff if he seems interested in it (and it's healthy). Although he had the tiniest bit of frozen yogurt last weekend ;)
    Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
  • BBS!BBS! member
    Oh I judge, but I think people on the Bump are way too judgey about giving solids early. My best friend's mother gave her girls rice cereal at 2 weeks. My mother in law did the same. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal. I wouldn't do it, but really there are far worse things to do as a parent! My older pediatrician also laughs at it because he said the advice used to be to give cereal at a very young age. He said you basically can't go wrong bc the next generation will have different beliefs and guidelines and we all turn out ok. Whatever. I just don't waste my time judging other people's parenting methods bc we really are just doing the best we can!
  • BBS!BBS! member
    I will also add, that I'm a child psychologist and I work with children in the foster care system. When you see the severe abuse that happens to many kids, you get less judgey about the little things intended parents do.
  • imagePeanutR1:

imageBBS!:
    Oh I judge, but I think people on the Bump are way too judgey about giving solids early. My best friend's mother gave her girls rice cereal at 2 weeks. My mother in law did the same. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal. I wouldn't do it, but really there are far worse things to do as a parent! My older pediatrician also laughs at it because he said the advice used to be to give cereal at a very young age. He said you basically can't go wrong bc the next generation will have different beliefs and guidelines and we all turn out ok. Whatever. I just don't waste my time judging other people's parenting methods bc we really are just doing the best we can!

agree 100%. My MIL 100% formula fed her 2 boys and started cereal at 3 months. DH went to a top 20 University and is doing pretty great in life, and BIL is a PHD candidate. Horrible parenting, I tell ya. Really screwed them up.  Oh, neither have food allergies, either

I have no problem with formula feeding, I would never judge someone for using formula. And starting cereal at 3 months is a lot different than 1 or 2 weeks.... 

• Btw, I wasn't saying solids are evil either. I just have never heard of starting as early as 1 week old, even from the "older" generations.

• It is actually hilarious that you posted this because I have been researching BLW and how people recommend you introduce solids and one of the websites I was on said to start with veggies and then meat! I was like my kid has no teeth how the hell can she eat meat?  The jerky sounds like maybe the kid is sucking on it? I don't know.  Is it possible she posted it to be funny but the kid isn't really eating it?
  • I don't care who starts solids early, but the sodium content alone is insane for an infant.  I just needed to get it out because I'm pretty sure beef jerky wasn't in the BLW category...along with donuts, poptarts, soda, candy, fried corndogs, etc. Smile  Seems like it's common sense not to introduce junky snack foods as a first food.  And, yes, I am totally being judgmental.  I give my 2 yr old all sorts of crap to eat, so I shouldn't be, but it shocked me.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagePeanutR1:
    imagepitterpatter129:

I don't care who starts solids early, but the sodium content alone is insane for an infant.  I just needed to get it out because I'm pretty sure beef jerky wasn't in the BLW category...along with donuts, poptarts, soda, candy, fried corndogs, etc. Smile  Seems like it's common sense not to introduce junky snack foods as a first food.  And, yes, I am totally being judgmental.  I give my 2 yr old all sorts of crap to eat, so I shouldn't be, but it shocked me.

whoa, whoa... No corndogs?  But it's got 2 of your 4 basic food groups!  Meat and veggies. Corn is a veggie, right? ;)

Agreed that the sodium in the jerky is a no no, but dang, the texture does seem pretty awesome for a baby that is gnawing on everything.  Ok, brainstorm - what else has same texture that isn't a salt stick or leather belt?  Ready, GO! 

I proudly posted this on FB. Wonder if anyone thought he was actually eating it and judged me. Oh well. It was hilarious!

I like cookies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageeriannc22:
    imagePeanutR1:
    imagepitterpatter129:

I don't care who starts solids early, but the sodium content alone is insane for an infant.  I just needed to get it out because I'm pretty sure beef jerky wasn't in the BLW category...along with donuts, poptarts, soda, candy, fried corndogs, etc. Smile  Seems like it's common sense not to introduce junky snack foods as a first food.  And, yes, I am totally being judgmental.  I give my 2 yr old all sorts of crap to eat, so I shouldn't be, but it shocked me.

whoa, whoa... No corndogs?  But it's got 2 of your 4 basic food groups!  Meat and veggies. Corn is a veggie, right? ;)

Agreed that the sodium in the jerky is a no no, but dang, the texture does seem pretty awesome for a baby that is gnawing on everything.  Ok, brainstorm - what else has same texture that isn't a salt stick or leather belt?  Ready, GO! 

image I proudly posted this on FB. Wonder if anyone thought he was actually eating it and judged me. Oh well. It was hilarious!

LOL Yes

Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
  • imageSagen:

I will say one thing though, I judge harshly, loudly, and with out apologies at people who text while they drive. Straight up idiots who are going to run into me, and my beautiful kids. I will take that phone and shove so far up, well you know what crazy rant I am getting on. Just had to vent about that, carry on.

I totally do this too. People who text and drive need a swift kick in the head.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • emd886emd886 member
    imagepitterpatter129:

My cousin just put a picture on fb of her 6 mo old eating beef jerky. *eye twitching*

My SIL was doing this with her baby. 8 months old, slim jims (yes she really was eating it) and a sippy of dr.pepper! Shes turning 1 soon and everytime I see her shes on a constant diet of juice (ive never seen her drink water), cookies and hot dogs blech Yes I judge.
    That side of the family is counting down til my LO turns 6 months. They think 6 months is going to be a free for all for cake, ice cream and whatever other junk they cant wait to shove in his mouth. I got the side eye when I said we are not feeding him junk....sheesh
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"