Adoption

DIA

those of you who did DIA how did  you finance it.. did you take out loans or did use a credit card? We have some money saved up but we keep thinking if we do DIA that we would never be able to afford it because it would take care years to save up thousands and thousands of dollars!!!!

Re: DIA

• We saved $10,000 and then we pulled retirement loans to finance it.

Not optimal, but the best we can do. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We did a personal loan and borrowed from DH's 401k. Again not ideal but after paying out of pocket for fertility treatments it was the best we could do.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since June 2009
    01/10- Femara
    03/10- Femara
    07/2010- Clomid with injectables and IUI #1
    08/2010- IUI #2
    06/2011- IVF #1 BFP!
    09/2011- Miscarriage at 10 1/2 weeks
    11/2011- FET
    01/2012- Start Home Study process
    03/2012- Home Study approved and now waiting on our child to find us!
    07/2012- matched with a BM who is due in October!
    11/10/12- our son is born!
    11/13/12- court grants us custody!
     12/28/12- finalization! Always ours in our hearts, but.now also ours forever

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

http://keepingupwiththejoneses-dana.blogspot.com/

• Loading the player...
  • We're just starting this process, but we have a good chunk saved up and it was IVF or DIA, we chose to spend the $$ on adoption.  We also can take a line of credit against our huose if needed.  Hopefully it won't come to that.   Good Luck!

****SIGGY WARNING****

Hashimoto's with irregular cycles  DH- 37 Severe oligoasthenoteratozoospermia

TTC since May 2012

HSG- all clear

March 2014 - RE appt. 
    April 2014- Saline sono all's good, terrible SA results - 8 sperm found all abnormal
    May 2014- Fert Urology- Bilateral varicoceles, recommend Donor Sperm
    12/2014-  Surprise natural BFP  EDD 7/31/15 Plan:  Starting foster to adoption, natural cycles

• We had very reasonable costs..adoption was wayy cheaper for us than ever expected.  Attorney fees in North Carolina are not bad, we advertised independently, etc..so we spent less than $10,000 total.  It's probably a good idea to save $10,000-15,000 if you're not using an agency (potentially much more if you are)...but going independent, we didn't even pay the attorney until we brought the baby home, so our initial costs were just the home study, FBI scan, etc.
    Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hubby had an insurance settlement from an accident when he was a child. We drained most of that. If we ever get the chance to adopt #2, I have absolutely no idea how we're going to go about doing that. It scares me.
    :::FOLLOW MY HALF MARATHON TRAINING:::

:::Our Adoption Journey:::

Evan James was born 1/24/13 and matched with us 2/20/13. The LOVE OF MY LIFE!!!
  • We paid the smaller fees as we went along. We used $ from the sale of a rental property for the match fee. Between the tax credit and DH's company reimbursement, re recouped 2/3 of our fees. If we do it again we'll either wait until DH gets a pay bump or I get a FT job. We are also considering foster adopt in part because of fees, but for other reasons as well
  • Sorry, I had replied to your other post about how we financed our adoption.  I did want to share this article I wrote about fundraising for adoption.  We did the Leaves of Love fundraiser for our adoption but unfortunately the person who created that program is no longer doing it.  There are other organizations like Parenthood for Me and Noah Z.M. Goetz Foundation that offer adoption grants.
    Christa
    Adopted a baby girl in January 2013 via domestic infant adoption
    "One and Done!"  Now we spend our time traveling the world as a family

My Blog: Travel Fearlessly
  • imagedholsapp:
    We did a personal loan and borrowed from DH's 401k. Again not ideal but after paying out of pocket for fertility treatments it was the best we could do.

This is pretty much what we did.   

Pursing Domestic Infant Adoption through a local agency. In the meantime, our dog is our baby.  Bumping from Portland, Oregon. 
  • Paying as we go, working with a nonprofit agency with a sliding scale and payments that are spread out (half at placement, half at finalization), and parental loans.  Smile  DH's work has adoption assistance so it will be a short-term loan.

My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

15 treatment cycles: four early m/c
    Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

Home study approved 5/13, now just waiting...

• Us, too, except not the 401k.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

after several m/c, DD#1 born 7-7-08, more m/c and failed IVF, started adoption process March 2011, matched Oct 2, 2012, DD#2 born 10-31-12
    Hope Wait Pray Adoption Blog
  • imagearbutusbride:

imagedholsapp:
    We did a personal loan and borrowed from DH's 401k. Again not ideal but after paying out of pocket for fertility treatments it was the best we could do.

This is pretty much what we did.   

Us, too, except not the 401k. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

after several m/c, DD#1 born 7-7-08, more m/c and failed IVF, started adoption process March 2011, matched Oct 2, 2012, DD#2 born 10-31-12
    Hope Wait Pray Adoption Blog
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"