Parenting

The more I read the BostonTerrorist article

in Rolling Stone the angrier I'm getting at the backlash.

The article is fantastic, shocking, and sad.  It's amazing how he went from an innocent to a terrorist. 

The superficiality of basing judgement solely on the coverphoto is the biggest Judging A Book By It's Cover ever and, as always, makes the commenters against the cover photo look like idiots.

(Sorry, chapski.  I know you don't like it but seriously, the article is great.)

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

Re: The more I read the BostonTerrorist article

• I haven't read it yet but I'm interested to read how he transformed from a normal, good teen to a monster. It's baffling how positive people were when they spoke about him after the bombing.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• I haven't read it, yet, but I'm sure it's great. I'm not outraged by the fact they did an article. I'm outraged by the fact that the accompanying cover makes him look like a rock star. Same article with a picture from the marathon or him in jail, I'd be totally fine with.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it was a good choice because it was sexy.

A lot of girls might've seen him on the street and given him a second look, not knowing what lurked behind those eyes. 

It humanizes him.  People seem to feel better when they can distance themselves from someone they term a "monster".  The picture shows a young man, possibly stoned (at least I think he looks stoned), who could be any random guy they see on the street.  For some people it might be their husband, their brother, their cousin, or even themselves. 

I'm glad they didn't try to show him only as a sinister Muslim fanatic with only death and destruction on his mind. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Is the article available to read online?
  • imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• CG - I do get where you're coming from. I agree that it's important to recognize that he's human and even to learn his story. But, I just can't agree on that picture. It's making him more of a celebrity and that's wrong. To be fair though, this isn't a new thing with our media. They always sensationalize the criminals.
  • It doesn't seem to say that he didn't do it.

It gives you an idea of the circumstances in his life that led to his decision to take this path instead of a different path.

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• It's kind of like looking at 1933-1945 in Europe and proclaiming Hitler to be a monster and yet refusing to look at why he became a monster because someone released photos of him playing with his dogs. 

Sox - I understand where you're coming from, but if they'd chosen a different photo it may have played into a lot of stereotypes about terrorists.

This picture certainly doesn't. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageSoxgirl07:
    I haven't read it, yet, but I'm sure it's great. I'm not outraged by the fact they did an article. I'm outraged by the fact that the accompanying cover makes him look like a rock star. Same article with a picture from the marathon or him in jail, I'd be totally fine with.

this 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have no issue with the article. I have an issue with the cover, because it can make him seem more glamorous to idiots who are more likely to copy cat.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imageCinemaGoddess:

It's kind of like looking at 1933-1945 in Europe and proclaiming Hitler to be a monster and yet refusing to look at why he became a monster because someone released photos of him playing with his dogs. 

Sox - I understand where you're coming from, but if they'd chosen a different photo it may have played into a lot of stereotypes about terrorists.

This picture certainly doesn't. 

I cant agree with this more.  I haven't had the hance to read the article yet- thanks for the link.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKitiara5512:
    I have no issue with the article. I have an issue with the cover, because it can make him seem more glamorous to idiots who are more likely to copy cat.

This.  Most of what I've seen responds specifically to the cover which glamorizes him and makes him look like a celebrity.  I don't want attention seeking killers seeing this as their way to fame.

• imagecrystaladult:
    I think it's ignorant to say that the commentary against the cover is idiotic. How can you not understand that it glamorizes terrorism? I'm pissed about the cover. I think that they did it to be edgy and gain attention with no respect for the victims of the Boston bombings. RS always has good political articles, which is part of the reason that I have a subscription, but I am very upset with their cover choice.

Because it doesn't glamorize terrorism.  At least not in my opinion.  This man is handsome, yes, but he is also a terrorist.  If people are dumb enough to consider this man a sex symbol or something to aspire to, then that is their own issue and something they should probably see a therapist for.   

But all of this "OMG THIS IS THE WORST EVER AND I WILL NEVER READ ROLLING STONE AGAIN." is absolutely ridiculous.   

As others have said, this magazine had Charles Manson on the cover in 1970.  Were they trying to glamorize mass murder and cults?  Nope. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageMom2Oli:

To me, to say that this will influence somebody to suddenly become a sexy terrorist is absurd. If somebody is so inclined, they will find inspiration anywhere. This might be the last straw that pushes them over but it sure as hell won't convert somebody from an A student to blowing up things. I am glad they put this photo on there, so people can stop envisioning brown men/boys with a head cover ululating against the Americans every time they see or hear terrorist.

I couldn't figure out how to say what I thought, but you captured it.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                         DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • suv75suv75 member
    I don't have a problem with the picture they used. It is not as if they pulled him out of jail, took him to their studio for hair and makeup and did a photo shoot to get a cover shot. They used a selfie that was used all over the media.

I'm not all the way through the article yet, but a different pic wouldn't match the tone or message of the article.
  • imagesuv75:
    I don't have a problem with the picture they used. It is not as if they pulled him out of jail, took him to their studio for hair and makeup and did a photo shoot to get a cover shot. They used a selfie that was used all over the media. I'm not all the way through the article yet, but a different pic wouldn't match the tone or message of the article.

ITA.

• imagekiraliz2:

Isn't it the same photo newspapers used in the past?

Also, this morning on Fox News they called it "the Tigerbeat of terrorism". My eyes rolled out of my head.

Yes.  It was one of the first and most widely-published photos of him.  I believe it was a profile pic on some social media.  I'm sure it's very similar to any selfie ever posted by an average teenage boy.  Which, as PP said, is entirely fitting with the content of the article. 

• imageMom2Oli:
    I said this on FB. but, would people still be outraged if this had shown a photo of any of the Littleton, Columbine or Newton shooters and discussed what happened to them? Nobody called those effers terrorists, why is that term only being reserved for Islamic killers? There was enough terror stuck in my heart when those shootings happened.
    I was just thinking this, this morning. The newton shooter killed way more people, and kids to boot, why didn't RS do a story on him? Was he not a domestic terrorist as well? Is his background not sexy or interesting enough?

And I said this elsewhere too but that article did nothing to humanize him for me. It made me ragey that some kid who didn't have direction in life just spent his days smoking pot and waiting for life to find him. Took full advantage of the American lifestyle until it didn't suit him anymore.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• imageOnederful Mother:
    Would America feel better for the bomber to have been some bullied kid, who had been picked on his entire life ala Dylan Klebold and Kyle Harris? Are we just uncomfortable with knowing that a wellliked, popular and handsome person could be capable of something so horrendous?Or is that we are uncomfortable with a Muslim being wellliked and popular in the first place?I'm just trying to find where the anger is in this and I'm coming up short.nbsp;
    I think it's partly the well liked and popular kid doing terrible things, and partly that he's Muslim. I could not effing believe it when the article said "They were Muslim, yes, but they were also American" like the 2 should have no part in the same person.

I shouldn't have read the article.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• Like scoutkate said, this isn't the first time that this photo has been used by the media. 

Somehow because it's being used on the cover of RS, it's horrific.  But used on Time?  Totes cool. 

As if Rolling Stone isn't allowed to run photos like this because they had a reputation for being hip decades ago. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• I'm really enjoying this discussion because I can relate to both sides here.

I absolutely think this cover could serve as some sort of "inspration" to disturbed individuals. One usually see stars in the cover of magazines, particulary in Rolling Stones, and the fact that he was young and goodlooking and posing in this shot makes it controversial because, it kind of paints him on a positive light. I can see why people would be upset.

AGAIN, that very same cover says "how a popular, promising student was failed by his family, felt into radical islam and became a monster", and that sets the tone. The idea is "he was a normal, all american kid you see at the mall, yet, he committed this horrific acts". I agree with M2O that it helps somehow against the stereotype of what a terrotrist is and looks like.

There are no blurred lines, only jail time

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

my blog: Inspirationseeker.blogspot.com
  • So it's funny as I searched for photos of him on the cover of other magazines I came across this little jem.  It's funny for all the outrage over making him "sexy" using a picture he himself probably took that wasn't edited, nobody said a damned peep about this one in the mainstream media.  Why? Because it did exactly what we as a society wanted the media to do, darkened them up and uglified them.  As Onederful said why is ok for the terriorist to be ugly but not cute? 

https://hiphopwired.com/2013/05/03/boston-bombings-suspects-go-from-white-to-brown-on-magazine-cover-photos/2/

• imagejorkz821:
    I was just thinking this, this morning. The newton shooter killed way more people, and kids to boot, why didn't RS do a story on him? Was he not a domestic terrorist as well? Is his background not sexy or interesting enough? And I said this elsewhere too but that article did nothing to humanize him for me. It made me ragey that some kid who didn't have direction in life just spent his days smoking pot and waiting for life to find him. Took full advantage of the American lifestyle until it didn't suit him anymore.

Are you for real with this criticism? Now RS can't do any investigative journalism if they don't cover every horrific thing that happens in this country? Not to mention they did a story in January, in response to the Newtown shootings, about the NRA vs. America.   

This kid became a monster...why does it make you ragey to realize he wasn't always one?  Nobody but crazies like this guy or think he deserve anything but the punishment he has coming to him.  He is an awful human being.  But he wasn't always a monster.  

C is 3 years old

• imagecrystaladult:
    imagenumeria11:

So it's funny as I searched for photos of him on the cover of other magazines I came across this little jem.  It's funny for all the outrage over making him "sexy" using a picture he himself probably took that wasn't edited, nobody said a damned peep about this one in the mainstream media.  Why? Because it did exactly what we as a society wanted the media to do, darkened them up and uglified them.  As Onederful said why is ok for the terriorist to be ugly but not cute? 

https://hiphopwired.com/2013/05/03/boston-bombings-suspects-go-from-white-to-brown-on-magazine-cover-photos/2/

That's not true. I remember being upset by that photo when it came out. 

Yeah but what I'm saying is how much of a stink was raised about it in the mainstream media or by people on FB?  Pretty much none is the sad answer.  Yes I get it's not RS but I also think the reality is people are ok with a negative parody of them but not the other way 'round.

• Again.

Judging a book by it's cover. 

If you're focusing solely on the cover photo and any issues you have with it, you're preventing yourself from reading the article and understanding why the cover photo was important. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imagemissymo:

imagejorkz821:
    I was just thinking this, this morning. The newton shooter killed way more people, and kids to boot, why didn't RS do a story on him? Was he not a domestic terrorist as well? Is his background not sexy or interesting enough?

And I said this elsewhere too but that article did nothing to humanize him for me. It made me ragey that some kid who didn't have direction in life just spent his days smoking pot and waiting for life to find him. Took full advantage of the American lifestyle until it didn't suit him anymore.

Are you for real with this criticism? Now RS can't do any investigative journalism if they don't cover every horrific thing that happens in this country? Not to mention they did a story in January, in response to the Newtown shootings, about the NRA vs. America. &nbsp;&nbsp;

This kid became a monster...why does it make you ragey to realize he wasn't always one? &nbsp;Nobody but crazies like this guy or think he deserve anything but the punishment he has coming to him. &nbsp;He is an awful human being. &nbsp;But he wasn't always a monster. &nbsp;

But that's kind of the point, right? I didn't see the story about newton. Was the shooter on the cover? Was the story about the shooter's background, trying to explain his mindset or how he came to shoot up an elementary school? From your description, it dealt with larger issues around that shooting, like gun control.

If not, it supports the "sexy media" idea. Good looking kid goes bad, does bad things For A Cause.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• imagecrystaladult:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

Again.

Judging a book by it's cover.&nbsp;

If you're focusing solely on the cover photo and any issues you have with it, you're preventing yourself from reading the article and understanding why the cover photo was important.&nbsp;

I read the article. I don't think it was as good as some of the political pieces RS has written in the past. ::shrugs::

Agree, though I haven't read past political pieces. I didn't find much new info in the RS article that wasn't already covered by main media in the weeks after his arrest.
    ::shrug::
    SQUIRREL!!!

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"