Parenting after a Loss

NBR: DS getting bullied at daycare

Mobile: DS getting bullied at daycareI'm at a total loss and so extremely sad. DS, who is 4, has been throwing major tantrums about going to daycare for about a week now.nbsp; By this I mean kicking, punching, all out screaming sessions.nbsp; He finally told DH today that there are a group of kids making fun of him, about what he wears, what he says, even telling him he stinks, and refusing to play with him.nbsp; DH noticed this morning when he dropped him off that he tried to sit around a table, and the kids refused.nbsp; P is the sweetest little boy on the planet, and very non confrontational.nbsp; My heart is breaking for my son, and DH is pissed.nbsp; I am not sure what to do. I don't want to have the teacher defend him, because he will be picked on even worse, but I can't let this go on. nbsp; Anyone have any experience or advice on this?nbsp; My apologies for the novel.

imageimage
DS Born 2/22/09. TTC #2 since Oct. 2011. MMC on 05/03/12 at 12w1d. CP on 02/08/12 at 5 weeks.

BFP 07/27/2012 - Beta 1 - 169 @ 11 DPO, Beta 2 - 419 @ 13 DPO, DD Born on 04/04/2013.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AL Always Welcome

Re: NBR: DS getting bullied at daycare

• I am so sorry you have to deal with this. I would talk to the teachers. They should be very proactive about stopping that behavior and yes those parents should be notified. Is switching day cares an option? Or different class?

BFP: 01/08/11 EDD: 09/15/11 Natural MC: 02/03/11
    BFP: 02/14/12 EDD: 10/26/12 D&C: 03/09/12
    BFP: 04.05.12 EDD: 12.17.12 Born 11.18.12 Jackson Kane 6lbs 5ounces

BFP: 06.08.13 EDD: 02.13.14 Baby Girl.. 2U2 Here we come

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/ttfdf7a.aspx[/img][/url]

• Absolutely talk to the teachers, and then send a follow up email to the director. That behavior is beyond unacceptable. My heart breaks for your DS, and I am so sorry that you guys are dealing with this.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have any experience, but agree with PP's in telling the teacher. She should not "defend" him, but rather watch the other boys for this behavior and try to correct them.

I am sorry your son, and you, are dealing with this. Kids can be so cruel sometimes. It really is sad!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.  I agree, you need to talk to the teachers so that they can talk to the parents of the other kids.  ((Hugs)) for you and your son.

*** aka: andreahshields ***

*** July Siggy Challenge - Cake Wrecks ***

BFP#1 3/8/12; diagnosed w/ Anencephaly at 12w6d; D&C 5/9/12
    BFP#2 7/18/12; A/S 10/26/12 It's a Girl! EDD 3/29/13
    Phoebe Jordan Born 3/20/13

imageimage
  • My heart breaks for him. Proceed with caution in telling the teacher/director. Feel them out because from my experience that can make things much worse.

I was tormented in early elementary school for having curly hair, so kids will find the slightest thing different and use it against another kid. In my case the teachers flat out denied what was going on even though my neighbors witnessed it. From then on I was pegged as the problem. Honestly, if it was my child I'd probably look at other arrangements. If they are really watching the kids then they know and they are just looking the other way.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • I'm sorry to hear that your sweet little guy is having a hard time.

While I know that almost all of us could say that we were made fun of in school, and that it ultimately probably made us stronger, I really feel that this behavior needs to be addressed with the teachers and supervisors. I know that he is young, but the school/daycare and parents need to become involved and have those conversations with their children NOW when they will listen. 

The reason is this: bullying is worse now than when we were kids. 

Oh sure, kids will have confrontation, and resolving conflict is a part of learning to grow up. However, what we are seeing in our schools now is that the bullying that we had growing up doesn't exist anymore. Why we might have had mean notes written, and names called on the playground, today's kids get tormented 24/7 via the internet and cellphones.  When I was in elementary school, I might have a fight with my friends at school, but then it got left at school at the end of the day. If someone wanted to call and talk to me they had to call my house and speak to my mother. Now, children can use the internet to hide behind bullying and there is an idea that they aren't accountable. So the kids are never allowed to escape the bullying.

In my area last year three teenagers committed suicide due to bullying....and as a pediatric nurse in the hospital I see many more who try. 

I don't mean to turn this into a novel, and know that he is young, but I feel strongly that the parents need to become involved now. And if you discuss it with the teacher and the behavior gets worse, ask to have a meeting with the supervisor of the center and the parents of the kids before you change classrooms. Schools can't afford to take bullying with a shrug and a blase attitude anymore. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This totally sucks! Why does it have to start so early? I agree with PP, you should bring it to your DCP's attention. No experience to share, just big (((HUGS))) to you and your sweet son. 
    PAL JULY SIGGY CHALLENGE: CAKE WRECKS
    You Made me a mommy... 

Ticker id: ARvP

imageimageimageimageimage
     Lilypie - (KAFM)

• You can discuss your concerns with the teacher and director especially that you don't want to make it worse for DS if they try to defend him or intervene in a way that it becomes too obvious to the other kids.  What kind of discipline approach do they use? I just read the Positive Discipline books and they might be what the classroom needs.   So sorry your little guy is going through this. He is just so cute from the photos you post. I was bullied in school as well and it had a long lasting effect on me.  
    DS born 2009
    BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
    BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • kiki4kiki4 member
    I'm so sorry this is happening. As others have said, I would definitely address it with the teach and director. Is there another preschool you could put DS in? My DS will be 4 in September. We were having problems with him hitting/pushing the other kids in his class. For him, it was because he didn't have the language skills he needed. If someone hit/pushed him, he didn't tell the teacher, he hit back, and it seemed he was always the one getting caught. We were able to have him tested, and he will be starting preschool with the school district when school starts. In my experience, most daycare centers do not provide the kind of structure little minds need. I hope you are able to find a suitable solution for your little boy. The kind of behavior he is dealing with is not okay.
    BFP 1/19/12 No heartbeat at 7w4d 3rd dose Cytotec 3/1/12
    *PGAL/PAL Welcome*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

My Ovulation Chart

• Def alert the teachers. Does the school have a camera system?

If my kid was the one being the bully, I'd want to know. I hope the dcp addresses it with their parents.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• this is so sad!  I would definitely speak to the teacher.  I really cant add anything that hasnt already been said!!!
    ~Formerly~AngnShaun~

~~Transferred 2 Perfect Embryos 5/28 - BFP 6/4~~ HAILEY ELIZABETH ~2/16/13~ 6:39am ~ 6lbs 2oz ~ 20" long ~ 1 Year ~ 20lbs 14oz ~ 29.25"~
    ~10.10 Ectopic, 4.11 Nat m/c 9w, 8.11, 1.12, 3.12 CPs~

Follow Me on Pinterest

Angela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (100-in-2012 shelf)
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"