Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Lack of Appetite?

Did anyone loose their appetite after the loss? I figure it's a mixture of feeling sick/crampy, being very upset, and the heat. But I just can't manage to eat. Everything sounds disgusting. The only things I can stand right now is 2% milk and tea. Every now and then I'll force myself to swallow some saltines, but I just really don't want anything. Is it normal?

Re: Lack of Appetite?

• And why oh why won't my ticker go away? I deleted it from my signature. :( :P
  • imagebunnycakes011508:
    Did anyone loose their appetite after the loss? I figure it's a mixture of feeling sick/crampy, being very upset, and the heat. But I just can't manage to eat. Everything sounds disgusting. The only things I can stand right now is 2 milk and tea. Every now and then I'll force myself to swallow some saltines, but I just really don't want anything. Is it normal?

I have the opposite issue. All I want to do is eat and all I want is junk. Every day I tell myself that I will eat better and then I tell myself it's OK to eat bad because I am sad... which is really bad.

I hope you feel better soon!

BFP 06/05/2013 | EDD 02/10/2014 | D&C 07/12/2013
  • Loading the player...
  • Many people respond to stress this way. My DH has lost an appetite (which if you knew him would shock you to your core) I am the opposite and even while crying find my stomach growling...Try and eat even though you are not hungry, it is an important time for your body to get some nutrition and such. Maybe a protein shake or something would give you a little boost without feeling like you are sitting down to eat. Keep up your fluids too. 

I am sorry for your loss - thoughts and prayers to you!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Very normal. I have alternated between feeling nauseated and having no appetite to wanting to eat myself sick. I'm sure it's a result of emotional turmoil we've all been going through. Try to eat at least a little bit though whenever you can.
  • Crap, I just realized it's been 4 days. That's not good... I'll definitely try the shake thing- maybe strawberry so there's some nutrients. Maybe some of those green smoothies.   
  • imagebunnycakes011508:
    And why oh why won't my ticker go away? I deleted it from my signature. :( :P

I'm so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, The Bump's save feature is really terrible. To change your signature and make sure it takes, you have to click save as many as 10-12 times. I thought that sounded strange when I asked this same question a few months ago, but this is the advice I was given, and it works. 

• I realized just now that it might be a good idea to put how I got myself to eat again, in case any other poor soul has to go through the same thing and stumbles upon this somehow.

A friend suggested Naked Juice- it has a lot of the pulp and calories in it. I would try strawberry milkshakes. I couldn't stand the thought of something like Slimfast- but I guess it could work. Then I walked down every single isle of the grocery store. Every last one. And anything that didn't make me want to hurl I bought, even if all you feel towards it is neutral. That's how I ended up eating Cherrios with strawberries and 1% milk. 
  • My body still thinks I'm pregnant (9 wks), and literally up until my u/s and devastating news yesterday I was starving constantly.  Since then I've barely eaten what I had been eating for one meal previously, and when I do eat my stomach doesn't handle it well.  My body and mind are so confused right now they don't know what to do.

DS #1 - born 11.6.08
    DS #2 - born 2.10.12

BFP 7.9.13 / Due 3.8.14 / MMC Dx 8.5.13, D&C 8.9.13

DD - born 12.25.14

• My appetite has been a bit off since my d and c but has slowly improved the last week or so. The first couple of days/weeks were crazy. I think the grief is so much that everything else, including eating, is not a concern.

As for your siggy, there should be a grey head, click on that and you can change your preferences there.

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP 5/19/2013. MC 7/2/2013 (9w6d) with est. loss at 8w. Miso 7/3/2013 and emergency D & C 7/6/2013.

BFP#2 11/6/2013.  CP 11/14/2013.  

BFP #3 12/13/2013.  Beta #1 @ 15dpo- 239. Progesterone 27.  Beta #2 @17dpo - 90.  CP 12/21/2013

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  -Philippians 4:6-7

All PgAL and PAL welcome.

• I was just going to post this same thing and I saw your post.  I have no desire to eat at all.  DH is worried and keeps trying to feed me, but I am just not hungry.
  • I was not hungry either after I learned there was no longer a heartbeat.  I think part of it was that eating or not eating was something I could control whereas the miscarriage was out of my control and I certainly didn't want to get nauseated after my surgery.  Needless to say, I hardly ate anything in between the heartbreaking news and my d&e two days later.  My body is still in pregnancy mode where nothing sounds good or looks good yet my weight hasn't went anywhere.  Typically not a weight watcher but multiple visits to the doctor have confirmed my weight each time.  I am assuming our eating habits will return to normal with time.  
  • I lost my appetite, but forced myself to eat 3 times a day, even if that meant 2 of those meals were candy bars and the other one was easy mac. 
    2 weeks later, my appetite still isn't back, forcing myself to eat 3 times a day, but its easier now. 

Stay strong... this sucks. *hugs*

• I lost my appetite, but forced myself to eat 3 times a day, even if that meant 2 of those meals were candy bars and the other one was easy mac. 
    2 weeks later, my appetite still isn't back, forcing myself to eat 3 times a day, but its easier now. 

Stay strong... this sucks. *hugs*

My food of choice has been cupcakes and Phish food. I am just trying to get calories in my body.
  • Yep - I am just getting my appetite back now. I do think it is emotions mixed with messed up hormones. 
    Married to the love of my life since 2005
    TTC #1 - 
    BFP # 1: 5/2006 - m/c @ 6 weeks (natural) / EDD 1/17/2007
    BFP # 2: 7/2007 - chemical pregnancy / EDD 3/18/2008
    BFP # 3: 6/2013 - 7/9 u/s: No hb, measuring 2 weeks behind. Very high HCG#'s 7/21 u/s: No change, ruled out molar pregnancy. Completed Natural Missed M/C 7/26/2013 / EDD 2/5/2014
    TTA with Diaphragm. 
    CFNBC
    I didn't want to kiss you goodbye, that was the trouble; I wanted to kiss you goodnight. And there's a lot of difference. - Ernest Hemingway 

Licensed foster family. No current placements. Open to adoption but that is not our goal and as such we don't have dual foster/adopt home study.
    2012-2013: Former Foster Mommy to 1 bubbly little 8 y.o. girl that has moved onto an amazing adoptive home.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"