May 2013 Moms

Mini pill question

For those of you on the mini pill did you bleed on and off for the first 21 days? I am on the first pack and have bled on and off, sometimes quite heavy the entire 21 days. I am on day 23 pill and no period. If I remember right I should have my period now if its like normal BC pills. I am EBF so I don't know if that's why I am all messed up, but I just don't know if its normal and others are experiencing the same.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Mini pill question

• I'm in my third week of pills and haven't had any bleeding. Is it more like spotting? I think spotting can be common in any of the hormonal birth control methods. 
  • I'm not on it this time, but previously I didn't get my period back until the six month mark. I don't remember having any bleeding before then.
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor said if EBF not to expect getting a period or ovulating while on the pill, it is sort of there as a backup just in case you DO have cycles while breastfeeding. What makes me nervous is how adamant she was that as soon as I quit breastfeeding I need to let her know so I can go on the regular pill... Makes me wonder if this one is not nearly as effective at preventing pregnancy?

I just started a week ago and no idea if I am sporting because I had still been bleeding from c section apparently.

My little bug, Madeline. Born June 2, 2013.

• imageMrsMMalone:
    My doctor said if EBF not to expect getting a period or ovulating while on the pill, it is sort of there as a backup just in case you DO have cycles while breastfeeding. What makes me nervous is how adamant she was that as soon as I quit breastfeeding I need to let her know so I can go on the regular pill... Makes me wonder if this one is not nearly as effective at preventing pregnancy?

I just started a week ago and no idea if I am sporting because I had still been bleeding from c section apparently.

It's not as effective as the normal pill! I was told that it barely covers you for 24 hours, so it's important to time the dosing to a tee. If you normally have sexy time at night, you should take it in the evening. if you're an early bird, take it first thing in the morning. Regardless of when you take it, it's really important to be consistent. My dr had suggested setting an alarm for it.
  • imageMrsMMalone:
    My doctor said if EBF not to expect getting a period or ovulating while on the pill, it is sort of there as a backup just in case you DO have cycles while breastfeeding. What makes me nervous is how adamant she was that as soon as I quit breastfeeding I need to let her know so I can go on the regular pill... Makes me wonder if this one is not nearly as effective at preventing pregnancy?

My OB also assured me I was nursing too often to have a period. Mine came back within eight weeks and I was pregnant with my 2nd by 5 months pp...all while EBF. I did stop taking the mini pill before getting pregnant though.
  • imageAliciaR777:
    imageMrsMMalone:
    My doctor said if EBF not to expect getting a period or ovulating while on the pill, it is sort of there as a backup just in case you DO have cycles while breastfeeding. What makes me nervous is how adamant she was that as soon as I quit breastfeeding I need to let her know so I can go on the regular pill... Makes me wonder if this one is not nearly as effective at preventing pregnancy? I just started a week ago and no idea if I am sporting because I had still been bleeding from c section apparently.
    It's not as effective as the normal pill! I was told that it barely covers you for 24 hours, so it's important to time the dosing to a tee. If you normally have sexy time at night, you should take it in the evening. if you're an early bird, take it first thing in the morning. Regardless of when you take it, it's really important to be consistent. My dr had suggested setting an alarm for it.

My twins are proof that the mini pill is not as effective as the regular pill.  I took it like clockwork while breastfeeding.  This time around, my OB suggested using condoms and the mini pill together. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have bled every other week since I started the mini pill. My doctor told me to wait it out for my first three packs (I'm in the middle of my second one now) and then we'd reevaluate how it was working. They said it was a normal reaction to starting the mini pill...though having periods this often seems hardly normal whether its because of BC or naturally.

I'm all sorts of annoyed/'angry about though, and I'm seriously considering going back to charting/condoms. I did that with my first daughter, and it worked amazingly to the point I knew when I was pregnant with my new baby girl. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"