Breastfeeding

Extended BF weekly check-in (7/17/13)

Morning everyone! So I did start a thread last week but the bump ate it. And I couldn't get into the site for days again for some reason (until I figured out to clear the history). So here we go again - although I can't remember all the questions I did last week...

For the purposes of this thread nursing past one year is considered extended. Lurkers welcome. Questions are occasionally recycled. 

1. How old is your LO?

2. Any allergies in LO? Does that play into the decision of when to wean?

3. How is LO liking solids? When did you start and when did they get into it?

4. What was your last nursing session like. 

5. I decided to add a non-nursing GTKY question to the thread. So here is this week's - What's LO's name and why did you pick it. 

As always please feel free to share anything else and suggest questions for next week's thread. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Extended BF weekly check-in (7/17/13)

• imagelitzo27:

1. How old is your LO?

22 months. 

Nope - lucky to have nothing with both DSs. 

He is normally really into eating (not right now - he is sick). We started at 6 months a mix of purees and soft pieces and he pretty much took to them right away. Loves almost everything except cheese. 

This morning 5:30am. He is feverish so restless and was fidgeting. Popped off on his own after about 15 minutes (usually it's a struggle to get him off in the morning). 

5. I decided to add a non-nursing GTKY question to the thread. So here is this week's - What's LO's name and why did you pick it. 

DS1 is Isaac Aleksandr (not unike spelling - russian one) and DS2 is Theodore Andrew. All four names are mine and DH grandfathers. 

As always please feel free to share anything else and suggest questions for next week's thread. 

Last week I was thinking I'm ready to be done nursing like NOW. But this week he got sick and nursing seems to be a comfort so I'm convincing myself I can make it through several more months. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am new to the extended BF check-in so I just wanted to introduce myself!   I am a FTM who lives in FL and my LO turns one this weekend.  I have no plans to stop BF.

1. How old is your LO? I year this weekend

2. Any allergies in LO? Does that play into the decision of when to wean? LO was diagnosed with MSPI at 4 weeks.  I re-introduced dairy and soy into my diet when she was 10 months old and LO seems to tolerate them now.  We have not tried diary yet but in the next couple of weeks we will try baked dairy and then cheese.  LOs issue with dairy and soy has played into my decision to wait to wean.  I worry that introducing another milk source could upset her tummy and I hate to switch up milks multiple times.  I plan to BF as long as I can.

3. How is LO liking solids? When did you start and when did they get into it? She loves solids but is a slightly picky eater.  We introduced purees at 7 months and she transitioned to finger foods at 10 months.  She loves shoving food in her mouth!

4. What was your last nursing session like. Sweet since it was her AM session and she just woke up.  She loves to rub my shirt or play with my hair.

5. I decided to add a non-nursing GTKY question to the thread. So here is this week's - What's LO's name and why did you pick it. Evelyn.  We choose it because it is a pretty traditional name and it was one we could agree on.

• Loading the player...
  • Long time lurker! Very proud to have made it to a year, so I thought this was a good post to reply and introduce myself (and LO)!   

1. How old is your LO? She turned 1 on July 10.

2. Any allergies in LO? Does that play into the decision of when to wean? No allergies here, we are fortunate.  

3. How is LO liking solids? When did you start and when did they get into it? We started BLW at 6 months.  Some days she eats more than others.  She's recently been very interested in whatever I'm eating, so there's no more serving her something different!  If she catches me eating something different, she points and says, "Dat!" She really started to get into eating around 9 months. She loves meat, fruit, and most veggies.  Oh, she also REALLY loved her birthday cake! 

4. What was your last nursing session like. Nursed before morning nap at 8:30.  I'm treasuring these "milk drunk" cuddles even more now!

5. I decided to add a non-nursing GTKY question to the thread. So here is this week's - What's LO's name and why did you pick it.  Ainsley Josephine.  I searched lots of name sites and her FN Is the only one that DH liked too.  Josephine is after my DH's dad, who passed away two weeks before she was born.  

Also, thank you ladies for all the helpful information that's been shared.  Even though I'm just coming out of hiding, I read this board all the time and am so happy that is a warm, supportive place.  :) 

• 1. DS is 2 yrs and 8 months (yikes!)

2. No allergies.

3. DS is a very good eater.  He has been since we started solids at 6 months.  We mostly did BLW.

4. This morning when we woke up.  I don't have a huge supply anymore so he kept switching sides, which can be pretty funny because he rolls over me again and again.

5.  David.  He is named after his grandfather. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. How old is your LO?

17 monhts 

No allergies at all.   

She has been loving pretty much ALL food since she was 9 months old.  We just started to feed her real food at that time, cut into tiny pieces.  She never looked back.  

This morning before work at 7:30 she nursed.  I like nursing her in the morning because she gets down to business so she can go play downstairs.  Nightime nursing sessions are starting to really tire me out.  

DD#2 who is still nursing is named Liliana but we pretty much just call her Lili.  We just liked the way it sounded and very importantly it sounds nice in spanish and english so the grandparents and family don't butcher the name.  Like my brother's GF name is Dana and my dad calls her Doona, Dina, Deena, Diana, etc. because the name Dana doesn't really exist in Mexico and he just can't remember how to pronounce her name properly.  

Other stuff:

I go back and forth about wanting to wean DD #2 because sometimes I love nursing her and sometimes I'm just tired of her yelling BOOT BOOT at night and wanting to nurse like 10 times on each breast.  I think we'll go a bit longer but honestly I'm getting tired of our before bed LONG nursing sessions.   

• 1. How old is your LO?

16 mo this week.

Another MSPI mama here, and yes, I am still nursing him often partly because I want to make sure he is still getting good nutrition (we are avoiding several other foods too).

He loves solids, especially anything crunchy like a chip. His pickiness varies from day to day, another reason why I'm glad he is still nursing a lot because sometimes he hates everything I offer. We started around 7 months, purees and soft finger foods. He loved it right away. 

Snuggly sleepy morning nursing. :)

Weston John: We both liked the FN, and all 4 of our grandpas are/were named John, plus it's my dad's name. Covers all the bases, haha.

I'd be curious to hear from others about night-weaning (when/how) and when you first took an extended trip away from LO (like more than a couple of days) and how it went.

• I made it! 

1. How old is your LO? Just turned 1 last week.

2. Any allergies in LO? Does that play into the decision of when to wean? No allergies.

3. How is LO liking solids? When did you start and when did they get into it? We started BLW right after the 6 month check up. He started really eating seriously around 8.5 months. Some meals, he can eat a full adult portion. And he's just now cutting out some nursing sessions. 

4. What was your last nursing session like. The usual. I was sitting on the couch while he played. He climbed up and pulled at my shirt. I signed for milk and he said "toe-doe" which is his way of saying yes or something. I pulled a boob out and he latched on and danced around. He rarely sits still while nursing. 

5. I decided to add a non-nursing GTKY question to the thread. So here is this week's - What's LO's name and why did you pick it. Family name. It was easy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. How old is your LO? 18 months

2. Any allergies in LO? Does that play into the decision of when to wean? Yes- dairy, soy protein, and egg. It is one of the reasons, but the biggest reason is the bonding.

3. How is LO liking solids? When did you start and when did they get into it? I don't remember exactly when we started, maybe 8 or 9 months. I know waiting past six months may be unpopular, but DS had/has some physical delays that played into our decision to delay solids. His PT, pedi, and LC supported this decision. He has been a picky eater since we started- I was always picky even as a baby and still am so I guess he takes after me. 

4. What was your last nursing session like. Bedtime. He fell asleep latched on and it was really hard to get him off, but I honestly don't mind bc I love holding him in my arms. He is always on the go except when he is nursing.

5. I decided to add a non-nursing GTKY question to the thread. So here is this week's - What's LO's name and why did you pick it. Noah. We liked the name and the meaning- quiet; rest; peace.

As always please feel free to share anything else and suggest questions for next week's thread. Just wanted to share- I recently started getting white spots on my hands and so I went to the dermatologist. He said it could be a vitamin deficiency and that maybe all my nutrients are going to DS with the extended nursing. I never went off of my prenatal vitamins and now am taking B vitamins upon his suggestion but despite that the spots have moved to my forehead. I'm worried it's going to continually spread. I'm feeling upset about it and am hoping it's not a sign I should stop nursing. I've been wanting to TTC and still don't have AF and now this.... but can't imagine stopping nursing. I'm feeling very conflicted.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We night weaned at 14 and a half months. We did the sleep lady shuffle by Kim West. The first three nights I nursed around 6:30 then not again until he woke around midnight, then not again until 6 am. Then I cut the midnight feed so he didn't nurse overnight at all. I was nervous the sleep training wouldn't work and I would need to rely on nursing back to sleep during the night again so I pumped a couple of times overnight for awhile until I realized he really truly was STTN. Whatever method you choose, make sure you are consistent and can follow through, otherwise you can just be confusing him. GL!

imagerocknrollfriend:

I'd be curious to hear from others about night-weaning (when/how)

• 1. How old is your LO? 3y4m

2. Any allergies in LO? Does that play into the decision of when to wean? No

3. How is LO liking solids? When did you start and when did they get into it? Um, she's all for them, lol. Started around 8 months.

4. What was your last nursing session like. Nursed just a few minutes before bedtime songs.

5. I decided to add a non-nursing GTKY question to the thread. So here is this week's - What's LO's name and why did you pick it. Elaine, it was my mother-in-law's name

imageimage
  • imagebrideinsummer04:

Just wanted to share- I recently started getting white spots on my hands and so I went to the dermatologist. He said it could be a vitamin deficiency and that maybe all my nutrients are going to DS with the extended nursing. I never went off of my prenatal vitamins and now am taking B vitamins upon his suggestion but despite that the spots have moved to my forehead. I'm worried it's going to continually spread. I'm feeling upset about it and am hoping it's not a sign I should stop nursing.

Is it vitiligo? I haven't heard of it caused by BF although I did hear about it starting in pregnancy. There are more aggressive treatments such as oral and topical steroids but since these are rarely tested on pregnant and lactating women the derm may not be able to prescribe them. I would check out the online support for vitiligo and explore from there. Good luck!

• imagerocknrollfriend:

I'd be curious to hear from others about night-weaning (when/how) and when you first took an extended trip away from LO (like more than a couple of days) and how it went.

He generally nursed once a night from 12 months on. Around 16 months I wanted to stop and started sending in DH to put him back to bed when he woke up. Worked well. Now if he wakes up I can go in and say that nam-nam are sleeping and he'll fuss but go back to sleep after a bit. But it's still easier when DH does it. 

I have been away for 4 nights twice. First time at 16 months. 

• And I'm totally loving the names on this thread!
  • He said it looks like vitiligo. But he didn't say it definitely is. I'll try to find one of those boards thanks!
    imagelitzo27:

imagebrideinsummer04:

Just wanted to share- I recently started getting white spots on my hands and so I went to the dermatologist. He said it could be a vitamin deficiency and that maybe all my nutrients are going to DS with the extended nursing. I never went off of my prenatal vitamins and now am taking B vitamins upon his suggestion but despite that the spots have moved to my forehead. I'm worried it's going to continually spread. I'm feeling upset about it and am hoping it's not a sign I should stop nursing.

Is it vitiligo? I haven't heard of it caused by BF although I did hear about it starting in pregnancy. There are more aggressive treatments such as oral and topical steroids but since these are rarely tested on pregnant and lactating women the derm may not be able to prescribe them. I would check out the online support for vitiligo and explore from there. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"