Baby Names

OK to copy friend's son's name for middle name?

So my husband and I really like the name of a friend of ours' son, named Aiden.  Background on our friend, we see Aiden's family maybe twice a year, only at birthday parties - they live 50 miles away and we don't see them all that much.  Aiden's dad is like a mentor to me.

I know that if we named our son Aiden as a first name, that may rub the wrong way on my mentor.  But we are liking Aiden not as the first name, but the second/middle name.  We are thinking of naming our son "Connor Aiden" and he would go by Connor.

We haven't told my mentor yet, and we haven't finalized the name, but we are really loving the name "Connor Aiden."  Do you think that it is poor taste to copy the first name of your friend's son but for a middle name?

Thanks in advance!

Re: OK to copy friend's son's name for middle name?

• I say go for it! Aiden is one of top names for boys, I'm sure even they know somebody else who used that name before them. Besides you're using it as a middle name, it's completely different.
    Little one is here.
  • nelb3nelb3 member
    Personally, I would be flattered if a friend used a name that I loved so much too! That's just me. I know people are weird about it, but I think it's fine. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It is SO popular... You would be copying like half of the kids in the nation not just your friend.  FWIW, we had relatively close friends (DH's college roomie) name their son Sebastian recently.... We see them like 4-5 times a year.  It bugged me, but maybe I am weird like that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the input everyone!

Supermom, would it have bothered you less if your friend used Sebastian as a middle name and their son actually went by the first name primarily?  Like if he were named Liam Sebastian but went by Liam?  TIA!

• I think I'd use it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • imagebrightonbaby:

Thanks for the input everyone!

Supermom, would it have bothered you less if your friend used Sebastian as a middle name and their son actually went by the first name primarily?  Like if he were named Liam Sebastian but went by Liam?  TIA!

yes... I think because Sebastian is somewhat unique I was a little like, what the heck, find your own awesome name!  If they had used it in the mn spot I would not have batted any eye.  My DS is Sebastian Oliver, they named their baby Sebastian Omar... I mean, c'mon people! 

• I think it is completely fine to use a friend's child's name in your child's middle name spot especially when it's such a popular name.
  • imagemj.reilly:
    Just a note, Sebastian is pretty popular (it is actually more popular than Oliver by 11 spots); not really copying an uncommon name.

Sebastian Oliver is an awesome name. I would take it as a compliment that you have goo taste in names. Yes.

Shhhh you are ruining my warped sense of awesomeness and creativity... ;) 

• I think it's perfectly fine. If anything I think they would be pleased that you liked the name as much as they did.

FYI, my friend and I were pregnant together. She was team green and asked if I would mind if she used our girl name as her MN. I was surprised she even asked because I thought it was absolutely no biggie at all. I think most people would feel this way. She ended up having a boy though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"