July 2013 Moms

Newborn and chiropractors

Is anyone planning to take their newborn to the chiropractor? My dd refuses to nurse if she is lying on her right side. I asked the pedi today about it and she couldn't find anything abnormal. I'm thinking she may need a trip to the chiropractor.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Newborn and chiropractors

• No. Just no.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• We saw a chiropractor very early on with DS #1 after he was breech and ours was very helpful with a lot of baby issues.  If I had an established provider I was comfortable with I'd take a newborn.  Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • KERJFKERJF member
    If there seems to be a need. You just need to find someone experienced and knowledgeable.
    I just started seeing one myself and I already notice differences

imageimage
  • Possibly. I know moms that took their NBs for reflux and it helped.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagePrimRoseMama:
    No. Just no.

This.
  • Ds has been 3 times already. We dealt with shoulder dystocia during labor and its been helping with his recovery. Hos pedi mentioned the improvement even. And why "no. Just no" I don't get...
  • imagesomerandomchick:
    imageBE2008:
    Ds has been 3 times already. We dealt with shoulder dystocia during labor and its been helping with his recovery. Hos pedi mentioned the improvement even. And why "no. Just no" I don't get...

Because chiropractics are pseudoscience and "alternative medicine." It's not well studied and it can be dangerous. People have been seriously hurt by chiropractors, and the idea of taking a newborn to one makes me shudder.

This. I've personally seen kids with strokes from being taken to a chiropractor by their parents. It's one thing to do it to yourself, but taking a newborn is nuts. OP, I would ask your pedi their opinion before you decide to do so.
    Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • This. I've personally seen kids with strokes from being taken to a chiropractor by their parents. It's one thing to do it to yourself, but taking a newborn is nuts. OP, I would ask your pedi their opinion before you decide to do so.

My pedi is involved already. And I agree that any chiro who would do full on adjustments on a baby/young child is a quack, but draw the line at calling it a pseudoscience. For those wanting info, The The National Council Against Health Fraud, Inc. has a position paper on chiropractic medicine and makes a distinction between scientific chiropracors and nonscientific chiropractors. Not clunky but here https://www.ncahf.org/pp/chirop.html

Additionally, many doctors are trained in chiropractic work as part of their medical school. A DO, equivalent to MD in medical world, has training required, for instance. Would you call their work at reputable universities pseudoscience? I think not.
  • Yep you most definitely should! Mine just told me to come in 2 weeks after he's born for an adjustment for me and for babe. A friend had a baby born with torticollis and she said if they don't bring him in after therapy loosens his muscles he will be a sick kid growing up. Hope it helps! I saw a 6 week old picking up her own head after being to the Chiro!
  • I have a close personal friend who is a chiropractor that I had look at my DD and DS when they were a few days old. Newborn adjustments are very different then on an adult, she just uses light finger pressure to do it. There is no cracking involved. I think it is very good especially if you had any kind of traumatic birth (forceps etc), just go to someone experienced with newborns and children. 
    image image image

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yes I did.  My daughter had the same problem and it took me until she was about 5 months old to come up with the idea to take her to the chiropractor for it.  We went to someone specializing in infant chiropractic and she only ever used this pen like thing to gently "click" it on her fully clothed body and lightly touch her while I held her.  This worked wonders and she was finally able to comfortably lay on the left side.  The chiropractor said she had tightening in her ribs on that side, most likely from her position in utero.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have never been to a chiropractor myself, but I was just referred to one today for DD.

We have been having such trouble nursing and now that her weight loss/gain has been corrected and my engorgement issues have subsided we are still having trouble with her latch because she doesn't open her jaw wide enough. We were referred for Cranial-something Therapy, which is some sort of massage that applies pressure no more than that of a nickle. Our first apt is tomorrow, I hope it helps in someway because I'm becoming desperate and not sure how much longer I can keep this up. I know the first 2 wks are always rough, but this is the worst it has been for me. You would think it would be easier by number 3, but it isn't. :(

I hope you are able to resolve your nursing issues quickly!

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"