August 2013 Moms

BTDT: Mobile apps for feeding

Any BTDT used one of those apps on cell to track LO feeding, diaper changes, etc. Is this really necessary? Did you find them useful? If so which one? Or just easier to write stuff down?

Re: BTDT: Mobile apps for feeding

• No, I didn't have a use for one.
    imageimageimageimage

• I always had my phone near by and it helped with nursing issues we were having to time feedings and sides. It also helped with figuring out sleep schedule.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • I use a much easier method - I feed them when they are hungry, change them when they are wet/dirty, put them down when they need sleep.

I should probably find a way to patent that, I'd make a ton of money. 

Due with #5 April 22, 2015. It's a girl!!!!! 

Yes it was planned, yes we know what causes that, no we are not on public assistance, and yes we will be getting cable after this. ;)

• imageScarletOflaherty:

I use a much easier method - I feed them when they are hungry, change them when they are wet/dirty, put them down when they need sleep.

I plan to just do what my baby needs when she needs it, but i got an itzbeen at my shower - it's still in the packaging b.c I don't know that I'll actually need/want it.  I registered for it not b.c I want to maintain a schedule but b.c I thought if I turn into a zombie I may want it.

photo regina_zpsee0752b3.gif

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 mm/c at 12w1d

• My kids are 5 and almost 7. I don't think those apps existed back then? Haha! Anyway, I probably won't use one this time around either.

• imagehenderson1026:
    imageScarletOflaherty:

I use a much easier method - I feed them when they are hungry, change them when they are wet/dirty, put them down when they need sleep.

I plan to just do what my baby needs when she needs it, but i got an itzbeen at my shower - it's still in the packaging b.c I don't know that I'll actually need/want it.  I registered for it not b.c I want to maintain a schedule but b.c I thought if I turn into a zombie I may want it.

I figured all this.. I was just curious if this is something that needs to be tracked. Are these things that the ped will ask?? or do they not care and as long as she is gaining weight.. we are good to go

• We used BabyConnect the first time around and though it was "necessary" I definitely found it useful. I used it a lot to help me with timing, which side our LO started on, how long he was sleeping, and in the beginning diapers and what not just because I didn't know better and wanted to be sure he was getting the x amount of wet and dirty diapers that he was supposed to. And no, I didn't use it to force our LO onto a schedule, it just helped me see patterns and remember different things.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I used Total Baby and will this time. Mostly I used it to keep track of sides when breastfeeding. It also allowed for storing notes like baby weight, which came in handy because DD was on tiny side early on (still is but not as small, relatively). In terms of the other stuff it tracked like naps, I didn't worry about too much. Also because DD was small, I tracked diapers for the first couple weeks, to be sure my supply was fine, but not after that. To be honest, I was so scatter brained (and am sure I'd never have remembered middle of the night stuff esp.), I was glad to have the help remembering sides when nursing, and other info my ped. was asking about. I plan to use it again for this LO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• imageScarletOflaherty:

LOL right?

More emphasis on paying attention to your individual child's cues and less on an app please people. 

image image

• MrsIMrsI member
    imagehenderson1026:
    imageScarletOflaherty:

A friend gave me her itzbeen and it was actually very helpful for us but only because of DH's schedule. He would get home after midnight and was able to look at the itzbeen to know how long we had been sleeping and if DD would be up sion for a bottle, without waking me. If she was due soon he'd take the bassinet out of the room and get ready for her to wake allowing me to sleep through feedings. He gets home about 11 now so we hope to do the same.
  • I never used one but this time around I found an awesome one by similac that works for breastfeeding moms too. It has feeding, sleep, and diaper change charts that look pretty cool.
  • imagesomebodysmama21:
    imagehenderson1026:
    imageScarletOflaherty:

We were given an itzbeen and we were just playing around with it but it doesn't keep a record and IMO it serves no point. I would only get an app if it keeps a record. 

oh wow, what is the point then?  I've been leaning towards returning it and getting a simple app.   $25 is pretty steep for something with no reports :/

photo regina_zpsee0752b3.gif

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 mm/c at 12w1d

• imageBreanneL24:
    I plan to use one because I know we will have feeding, diaper, and weight gain issues. I wrote everything down on paper because I needed to show the pedi how often DS was being fed and for how long last time. This time I plan to use an app because it should be faster and easier.

This. Our pedi asked us feeding/changes questions a lot in the beginning and this helped me have the information on hand and as a FTM it kind of helped me track what I was doing and see patterns to help me learn to anticipate what his needs were. I used pen and paper last time, I will probably use an app this time

• My sister and friend swear by Total Baby, as mentioned by a PP. Apparently it's 5 or something but totally worth it. I'm a FTM but will def be using this, since it'll be easier to press some buttons on my phone in the middle of the night to remind myself which boob LO just ate off of. I got a book for free but don't think I'll get much use of it when I'm sleep deprived and it's dark in the room!
  • Thanks ladies for the responses. Appreciate the help. I just wasn't sure if keeping track was necessary. 
  • imagemsspeedymarie:
    imagesomebodysmama21:
    imageScarletOflaherty:

Meh I don't think the snark is needed. I fed when she was hungry and changed when they needed it and put her to sleep when she needed it too but recording it doesn't mean you are not doing that. 

Recording it is actually very wise because most doctors are going to ask how many wets and how many poops they are having daily. Most brand new moms don't remember that easily. Also if you are having problems nursing having a record to look back on is great and helpful when meeting with consultants or something. If allergies become an issue or other illnesses you can check what their normal is. 

I think it is very wise to record things for at least a little while. Not for the purpose of telling you when to do it but for the purpose of finding out their normal. I just used a notebook and pen but didn't have a smart phone last time, this time I am thinking of using one of those apps and actually was checking them out last night. 

Thank you! Totally agree.

thanks this was what I was looking for 

• imageBreanneL24:
    imageSoleil3:
    imageScarletOflaherty:

LOL right?

More emphasis on paying attention to your individual child's cues and less on an app please people. 

Umm some people have issues arise and need to track these things. An app doesn't necessarily tell you to change or feed or whatever your baby that minute. Just keeping a record is helpful when your pedi needs to see how often and how long you are feeding. Your snark is unnecessary.

Umm obviously if you are having issues and being asked by your doctor to monitor intake and output, the comment doesn't apply ;) 

image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"